If You've Received Tenyoism Please Post Here!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
John Signa

Re: If You've Received Tenyoism Please Post Here!

Postby John Signa » December 29th, 2015, 12:13 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Second box on the way, John.

I got the Deluxe box yesterday... Was waiting for me out in the utility closet when I got home from visiting the family for Christmas. Saved it for today when the big box arrived.

Now facing the collectors dilemma... Keep the tricks sealed and pristine or play with them. :D

What the hell... Not like I was going to sell them.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » December 29th, 2015, 12:34 pm

Goody Box arrived today.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 29th, 2015, 1:51 pm

Glad to hear it, Quentin! Enjoy.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

AJM

Postby AJM » December 29th, 2015, 2:18 pm

Delivery of two packages was apparently attempted today when I was at work - so will have to wait yet another day...

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » December 30th, 2015, 10:36 am

Arrived in Seattle late yesterday afternoon. Spent a few hours watching the first 2 DVDs. Really fun to watch! I'm going to dive into the books this morning (and likely for the next few weeks).

AJM

Postby AJM » December 30th, 2015, 5:52 pm

The Deluxe Edition and accompanying extras have now arrived safely at AJM Towers.

The books are so heavy I almost (insert appropriate injury here) as I carried them to my (den, study, man cave, underground lair).

By the time I've finished reading both volumes the UK will either be completely under water or the raging torrents will have subsided. I suspect it may be the former...

Cheers

Andrew

Arcato

If You've Received Tenyoism Please Post Here!

Postby Arcato » January 1st, 2016, 6:03 am

First of all, a Happy New Year to everyone!
My Deluxe Edition of Tenyoism has safely arrived here in Germany.
The package(s) have apparently been delivered in the days after X-mas while I was gone travelling to visit my family. When I returned yesterday, I picked them up from my neighbors where DHL had left them... I'm still speechless by the sheer size of these two volumes and I'm looking forward to dive into these books in the coming days, weeks, months... years!!
The signature page of the Tenyo creators is a wonderful addition of the deluxe edition, especially since it includes the late Lubor Fiedler as well...

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » January 1st, 2016, 9:29 pm

The Limited Edition on the secondary market for $600.00.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 10th, 2016, 5:19 pm

Toru Suzuki's non-apparatus handling for "Origami Tube" is in the Tenyoism book. Has it been published before?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 10th, 2016, 5:43 pm

No.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 10th, 2016, 10:57 pm

Okay. Somehow it seemed familiar, but I couldn't find it elsewhere.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 14th, 2016, 9:58 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:Toru Suzuki's non-apparatus handling for "Origami Tube" is in the Tenyoism book. Has it been published before?

I figured out why it looks familiar. See Kenichi Kuroki's "Torn and Restored 2000" from Genii, May 2000, p. 56 (reprinted in Japan Ingenious). It is a very similar trick.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 15th, 2016, 9:14 am

Bill Mullins wrote:
Bill Mullins wrote:Toru Suzuki's non-apparatus handling for "Origami Tube" is in the Tenyoism book. Has it been published before?

I figured out why it looks familiar. See Kenichi Kuroki's "Torn and Restored 2000" from Genii, May 2000, p. 56 (reprinted in Japan Ingenious). It is a very similar trick.

That's great. Would you post the URL link? The igenii has me looking at 12 issues and no search function. help?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » February 15th, 2016, 9:58 am

Jonathan Townsend wrote:
That's great. Would you post the URL link? The igenii has me looking at 12 issues and no search function. help?

Click on any of those 12 issues, then click on the "Archive and search" icon on the right hand side.

You can also click the "Issues" icon and go directly to the specific issue.
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 15th, 2016, 1:58 pm

Jonathan, you can't post a url because the information is behind a paywall.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » February 16th, 2016, 11:17 pm

I dove into the second volume again today, and I am more amazed than ever that thie book was published. As talented and experienced as Richard is, it is a monumental accomplishment. I am very grateful to be able to own such a book in my lifetime. I cannot find the words to express how much I am enjoying this Godzilla of a book.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 16th, 2016, 11:42 pm

Glad to hear it Don! :D

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » April 16th, 2016, 4:22 pm

I finally had a chance to sit down and study the books. What a gargantuan project this must have been; the result is jaw-dropping. I don't know if Richard knew where he would eventually end up with what this is, but I know that if someone had shown me these books and requested I produce something of similar size and content on some topic, I would have said, no thanks, I don't have the time, the energy, the expertise or the ability to do so. Writing these books must have been a challenge; getting them produced in the quality in which they exist must have been another challenge. And I know the video component was another gigantic mountain that had to be climbed.

Richard: take the rest of the day off, you've done your job here.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 16th, 2016, 4:45 pm

Thanks, Bob. I was working on So Sato's book, but based on your suggestion I'm going to take a nap instead!

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » April 17th, 2016, 6:27 am

Here's the review I wrote for www.magicweek.co.uk, and Magic NewZealand.

The Cult of Tenyoism. I blame Richard Kaufman

Back in the 1970’s it was rare to go to a magic convention and not see Pavel’s Colour Changing Records performed many, many times. The trick was one of the many items in the Tenyo magic catalogue. Other popular Tenyo effects at the time were What’s Next (Spot Card), Locking Card Box, Cubio, plastic Chinese Sticks. Pretty much the entire range of Tenyo items were based on other people’s - mostly standard - tricks. However this was to change and change dramatically.

By the mid-70’s Tenyo’s creative team were developing and producing magic that rivalled in creativity and ingenuity the stage illusions from the golden age of stage magic. Except that these were for largely close-up performances and did not require much skill to physically work.

Because I was around in the 70’s and had bought some earlier Tenyo magic of the standard type, I had mentally put their products into a “not for use by professionals” box, and so ignored the later miracles that started appearing towards the end of the 70’s, many of which now sell for very high prices.

Tenyo collector Ian Barradell did an evening at my local magic club, the Manchester Circle of Magicians. Not only was I fooled badly by pretty much all the effects Ian showed, but I was equally impressed with the sheer cleverness of the workings. I completely revised my opinions about the company and its products.

And while many Tenyo items would still look a tad odd in a professional’s repertoire, many of the items would fit … even if it is something to carry in your pocket to show informally. Here you are in luck because three such tricks come included with Tenyo-ism.

At its core Tenyoism is two large and heavy volumes covering almost 1400 pages printed in full colour on museum quality paper covering every trick produced by Tenyo from the early 1960’s to 2014. While working instructions are not included with every trick, many alternate handlings are and most of these are as ingenious as the original. Towards the end of Volume 2 you’ll find 84 pages of full instructions for many tricks developed by Tenyo’s creative team.

The price for the books is $250 which sounds like a lot. But look at it this way. In addition to the two volumes, which rank in the top five sets of magic books ever released for the wealth of information, historical value, concise writing, and magnificence of production, you get four DVDs, which at the very least are worth $80 if sold separately and three Tenyo tricks, which pack flat and will fit in your wallet at appx $20 each retail. None of these tricks were released commercially outside Japan. So that’s $80 for the four DVDs and $60 for the three tricks. So you are getting the two volumes for $110.

In addition the whole set comes in a very well made slipcase to fit on your bookshelf. I see the whole set both as an investment and a treasure trove of some of the most inventive magic developed over the last forty years by some of magic’s most creative minds. Very highly recommended to anyone with a serious interest in their craft. Limited to 1,000 copies.

Tenyoism by Richard Kaufman is $250 plus shipping and available here: http://geniimagazine.com/kaufman/store/html/92.html

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » April 17th, 2016, 10:44 am

It is an amazing set of books.

I have already read mine a couple of times.

But since it also doubles as a reference work - I am still using the book as I decide which Tenyo tricks I want to purchase and study.

As such - I still feel as if I am reading the book. It is truly the gift that keeps on giving.

If you are interested in Tenyo or creativity in magic the book is self recommending.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » January 18th, 2020, 9:28 pm

I'm a but late but mine arrived last Thursday. It was an unexpected Xmas present from my wife, and boy howdy it's a nice package!

I'm not a huge Tenyo fan, but I do have fond memories of my early days in the magic shop, but these books are Amazing, and the inclusion of Sakkaku Scale and two other novelty tricks is a great and welcome addition. For me this is right up there with The Magican and the Gambler as a historical record of a hugely influential part of our history.

Now I'm thinking I need the Deland Book... and a REALLY long vacation.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » January 19th, 2020, 4:22 am

Bill -- the DeLand book will make your head spin!

chetday
Favorite Magician: Jon Racherbaumer

Postby chetday » January 19th, 2020, 10:17 am

Yes, don't miss out on the DeLand book. It's a classic already, as far as I'm concerned.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 19th, 2020, 1:06 pm

Oh yes, you definitely must have the DeLand book! :)

Return to “Buzz”