Incredible Auction Next Week!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Incredible Auction Next Week!

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 28th, 2015, 11:36 am

I just took a look through the catalogue of the next Potter&Potter auction and I suggest you do the same. Amazing stuff, and TONS of it:

http://www.potterauctions.com/pdf/Catal ... er_WEB.pdf
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Potterauctions

Re: Incredible Auction Next Week!

Postby Potterauctions » December 4th, 2015, 12:11 pm

Thanks for the plug, Richard. There's plenty of material here for the casual and serious collector alike.

Never received your complete set of Braue Notebooks? We've got facsimiles of the originals in the auction. Plus Cervon's Castle Notebooks, Hilliard, Hoffmann, and Fulves titles galore.

Always wanted a vintage magic poster for your wall? There are many in the auction with starting bids of just $50 or $100.

Do you admire the wood turned tricks of Floyd Thayer and John McKinven? The micro magic of Eddy Taytelbaum? There's plenty to choose from in the sale.

In addition, we're offering photos and ephemera, hard-to-find books, automatons, and even a reproduction Robert-Houdin clock. There's something for everyone, so contact us today to leave a bid, or jump in tomorrow, live. We kick off at 10am (CST).

Happy Holidays!

Gabe Fajuri
Potter & Potter Auctions

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » December 4th, 2015, 5:04 pm

Not to mention some nice Houdini items. :)
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

observer
Favorite Magician: Harry Kellar - Charlie Miller - Paul Rosini - Jay Marshall

Postby observer » December 5th, 2015, 1:02 pm

Somebody just got a great deal. Complete file of Genii for $400. Although, "condition generally good."

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » December 5th, 2015, 2:03 pm

So I'm watching the auction, which is live. I'd like to bid on #352. Currently they are at 217. I have to leave the house in 45 minutes. Doesn't look like I'm going to make it.

I have never bid online but I recall you could put in an absentee bid before the auction. My question is:
1) Can I do that still for an item that hasn't come up yet? Or are absentee bids only allowed before the auction starts.
2) Is there any chance I will get an answer in the next 45 minutes?

Either way these live auctions are fun.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » December 5th, 2015, 5:14 pm

Pete, you can place the absentee bid online anytime before the item closes. The item will only be bid up incrementally to your maximum, so you might get it for less than your bid if you are lucky. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 5th, 2015, 5:20 pm

Richard Hatch wrote:Pete, you can place the absentee bid online anytime before the item closes.

But you may need to get pre-approved to bid through liveauctioneers.

Or you could just call P&P and tell them your max bid, and have them execute it for you.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » December 5th, 2015, 5:22 pm

Thanks for the help, Richard and Bill. I had to leave before I saw your post, and the item ended up selling for less than I would have gone, so I missed out on the chance to bid. Next time.

I might as well mention I was going to bid on a Harry Eng bottle. If anyone has one for sale, let me know.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 5th, 2015, 6:38 pm

They show up from time to time (check your PM). Keep an eye on ebay and the other likely places.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » December 5th, 2015, 7:23 pm

Pete McCabe wrote:So I'm watching the auction, which is live. I'd like to bid on #352. Currently they are at 217. I have to leave the house in 45 minutes. Doesn't look like I'm going to make it.

I have never bid online but I recall you could put in an absentee bid before the auction. My question is:
1) Can I do that still for an item that hasn't come up yet? Or are absentee bids only allowed before the auction starts.
2) Is there any chance I will get an answer in the next 45 minutes?

Either way these live auctions are fun.

Based on my experience on Live Auctioneers, you can't bid online once the auction is underway. For example, if the auction is taking bids on Lot 25, you can't make a final bid on Lot 100. You have to put in your bid before the auction starts. One thing that baffles me is the bidder who wins by meeting my bid. I'll place a first bid a few weeks early and lose to another bidder who matched my bid. I don't really know their tie breaker rules. The only thing that I can think of is that the winner mailed in his bid before I had placed mine online.

Be that as it may, I placed a $400 bid for a chop cup that went nowhere. You have to have at least a grand in your pocket before entering a magic auction these days. Any amount lower than that is chicken feed. And that's just for small props and books. For lithographs you'll need a lot more.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 5th, 2015, 8:39 pm

I believe live bids take precedence over online bids in the case of a tie.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » December 5th, 2015, 9:21 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I believe live bids take precedence over online bids in the case of a tie.

I don't think that's the way it works. I've bid by phone at auction. When I matched the max of an absentee bid, I had to bid one more time to win the item.
Please visit my website.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » December 5th, 2015, 9:31 pm

Leonard Hevia wrote:
Pete McCabe wrote:
Be that as it may, I placed a $400 bid for a chop cup that went nowhere. You have to have at least a grand in your pocket before entering a magic auction these days. Any amount lower than that is chicken feed. And that's just for small props and books. For lithographs you'll need a lot more.

Most auction houses are looking for better items to sell. I would say that the process of getting an item into a catalog, or just online, is pretty labor intensive. Why sell a Tarbell course for a $100 when you can sell a potentially higher valued item that might take off in heated bidding. The work is the same for the house on wither lot to list.

As for the lithographs, and Houdini too, there is new blood in the game from what I can gather. I don't follow apparatus, so I can't comment.
Please visit my website.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » December 6th, 2015, 2:16 am

Leonard Hevia wrote: You have to have at least a grand in your pocket before entering a magic auction these days.

I beg to differ...
Some lucky stiff got a sweet deal on this item for a measly 50 bucks ...

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » December 6th, 2015, 5:14 am

Kevin Connolly wrote:Most auction houses are looking for better items to sell. I would say that the process of getting an item into a catalog, or just online, is pretty labor intensive. Why sell a Tarbell course for a $100 when you can sell a potentially higher valued item that might take off in heated bidding. The work is the same for the house on wither lot to list.

Exactly--that is why I believe you need at least a grand if you want to jump in a magic auction. A souvenir head of Milt Larson is a knick knack, not a prop or a book. Strangely enough, a Tarbell course will fetch double on a magic auction than what it's worth in stores. An auction house can give a standard item the mystique and cache it can't get on the store shelf.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » December 6th, 2015, 6:32 pm

Leonard Hevia wrote: A souvenir head of Milt Larson is a knick knack, not a prop or a book

That's Duke Stern not Milt Larsen.

Who in their right mind is going to pay $50 for a souvenir head of Milt Larsen!?

It must have been the powder blue tux that threw you off. :)

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » December 6th, 2015, 6:49 pm

Close Brad, close. What was I thinking? A Duke Stern souvenir head is worth more than a Milt Larsen souvenir head. ;)

Return to “Buzz”