Anti cell phone product

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
John Tudor

Anti cell phone product

Postby John Tudor » December 4th, 2015, 10:34 am

Dave Chappelle has found a way to stop people from filming his stand-up shows
It's not the most practical thing, but it's a start maybe, to "provide audience members with smartphone-locking pouches for use during the show."

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/dave-chapp ... 15334.html
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates

John Tudor

Kevin Connolly

Re: Anti cell phone product

Postby Kevin Connolly » December 4th, 2015, 5:08 pm

Years back, some of the magic guys in the City, had cell phone blocking devices they used to carry around. If they encountered an annoying person on the phone r just wanted to prank someone, they use it. It had very decent range and one could make a large area not to receive calls. I think they sold for about $350 back then.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 4th, 2015, 5:52 pm

Kevin Connolly wrote:Years back, some of the magic guys in the City, had cell phone blocking devices they used to carry around. If they encountered an annoying person on the phone r just wanted to prank someone, they use it. It had very decent range and one could make a large area not to receive calls. I think they sold for about $350 back then.

This indeed is feasible and can be done. (To paraphrase the dearly-departed Shepherd Book: there is a very special level of hell for people who talk at the theater.) [Edit: It's illegal in the US: See Chris Aguilar's post below]

However, if a person in your audience whose cell phone you are blocking misses an emergency call (say, a medical situation with their child at home or perhaps they are a physician on call for an emergent need), then the cell blocker's actions could potentially harm people.

Therefore, if one is going to pursue this strategy, I would think a clear, unambiguous announcement should be given to each potential purchaser of tickets, so that people with legitimate need for 24/7 emergency access to their phones could avoid the show.
Last edited by erdnasephile on December 4th, 2015, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » December 4th, 2015, 6:24 pm

Here in the US , use of cell phone jammers is not legal.

https://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/jammin ... gainst-law

performer

Postby performer » December 4th, 2015, 6:26 pm

I detest cell phones and consider them a blight on humanity and the end of civilization as we know it. And then I found out that there were such things as cellphone jammers. I was about to purchase one but alas I found out they are completely illegal probably for the reasons that erdnasephile outlined.

I am quite sure that the devices mentioned on this thread are against the law. Except the first one.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 4th, 2015, 8:14 pm

Chris Aguilar wrote:Here in the US , use of cell phone jammers is not legal.

https://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/jammin ... gainst-law

Thanks, Chris--good to know.

performer

Postby performer » December 4th, 2015, 8:28 pm

I think it would be far better if cellphones were made illegal. I consider them to be a blight on humanity.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 4th, 2015, 9:58 pm

I don't think I'd go quite that far. They can be rather useful, indeed. (GPS, travel device, emergency contact, etc.)

They are a tool and prone to good use and misuse just like every other tool (e.g., the double lift or the faro shuffle. ;) )

performer

Postby performer » December 4th, 2015, 10:56 pm

They are horrible things and I wish they had never been invented. I find it agony to go on a train or a bus and have to listen to people yapping all the time on the bloody things in loud voices. The worst is when you go to have a crap in the washroom and someone in the next stall is letting the whole world know their business. You can't even have a crap in peace. I really should buy one of those cell phone jammers, illegal or not.

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » December 5th, 2015, 9:12 am

They certainly are useful devices, but as ever it's the use and abuse, the users and abusers that cause the smell.

Return to “Buzz”