Miracle with Cards Videos on llepub

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
erdnasephile

Miracle with Cards Videos on llepub

Postby erdnasephile » December 2nd, 2015, 4:36 pm

I have no financial connection to llepub.com but for all you hard core cards guys out there, I just noticed the out of print James Swain videos are now on the site for 60% off today--a terrific bargain (don't know how long the sale lasts).

The video and sound is about what you might expect from a videos made in 1997-1998, but it's definitely usable and the material is top notch. I'm glad I bought 'em because my VCR is no longer in service.

Sean-Dylan

Re: Miracle with Cards Videos on llepub

Postby Sean-Dylan » December 2nd, 2015, 5:03 pm

Funny that you mentioned this. I just bought the Miracles with Card and 21st Century Card Magic ebooks from James Swain for under $20.00 PLUS The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley vol.1 and 2 for under $16.00! The L&L 60% off sale is awesome!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 2nd, 2015, 6:32 pm

Those are great books, Sean-Dylan--you're a very smart shopper! :D

PS: If you don't have it yet, be sure to check out "Don't Blink"-- there's a very good routine in there (pg 63) that Michael Skinner did exactly as printed for my family at the Lillie Langtry restaurant.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » December 2nd, 2015, 9:27 pm

Don't Blink is a terrific book! All of Jim Swain's magic books are fantastic. Erdnasphile--can you tell us what Skinner performed at the Lily Langtry restaurant in addition to that effect from Don't Blink?

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 3rd, 2015, 12:14 am

Sadly, I was young (and dumb) at the time and I didn't write down everything he did. I do remember he opened with the Mental Photography Deck, put that away and got out another deck, did a trick I can't remember, then pulled out a regular deck. He also did Liberace's Piano Keys, Hamman's Twins, and the Swain routine. For some reason, I also think he did LePaul's Gymnastic Aces, but I can't be certain. He was wearing a black tuxedo, a tastefully patterned Navy blue bowtie and matching cummerbund, with a couple of enameled lapel pins. I remember him being a total gentleman and smooth like butter. No stupid jokes and demeaning punchlines. I especially remember his whistles, dramatic pauses, precise hand movements, and his intoned applause lines. That, and his smile--so friendly and sincere.

When he found out I was a magician, he asked me what books I liked to read. I told him I liked the Dai Vernon books and the big Jennings book. "A lot of good magic in that one," he said. I also told him I was looking forward to his book. He smiled and said to "Stick with Vernon--you can't go wrong." He then graciously posed for a picture with me. (It's sitting in my copy of his "Classic Sampler".)

I was just in awe of the guy and just sat there after he left the table, thinking he was one legend who certainly lived up to my expectations. (I found out later that at that time, he wasn't at his best because of health reasons--but on that night, he sure was the best magician I had ever seen.)
Last edited by erdnasephile on December 3rd, 2015, 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » December 3rd, 2015, 2:17 am

That was a great recollection Erdnasephile! I envy you. An encapsulated description of Skinner would be to define him as a walking, performing encyclopedia of magic. To watch him perform was to see classic close-up and parlor magic come to life out of the pages of magic books, and done extremely well.

As for the effect in Don't Blink, Swain had this to say in the intro to the trick:

"It is a favorite of my friend, Mike Skinner."

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 4th, 2015, 10:13 pm

I just rewatched Volume 2: Swain's Miracle Pass (with explanation) is really good.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”