MacDonald's Aces Handlings

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Sean-Dylan

MacDonald's Aces Handlings

Postby Sean-Dylan » March 24th, 2008, 11:48 am

Can anyone provide what they think is the best MacDonald's Aces handlings in print and why?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: MacDonald's Aces Handlings

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 24th, 2008, 12:50 pm

Dingle's is very good.
Guy Hollingworth has a good handling in his book.
Jennings' "McJennings Aces" which I published in MAGIC is very good.
There are many handlings of this effect, which originated with Hofzinser in about 1850.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Irving Quant

Postby Irving Quant » March 24th, 2008, 5:18 pm

This isn't in print, or it might be I dont know. But I have heard that John Guastaferro;s Famous Aces from Second Storm is pretty good.

L&L Publishing's World's Greatest Magic - MacDonald's Aces

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » March 24th, 2008, 6:11 pm

Famous Aces is MORE than pretty good. It's excellent, and if you like anthropomorphic presentations, there a plus there too.

It's not a McDonald's Aces though, because the aces actually vanish from each packet leaving them 'minus one.'

Aldo Romano

Postby Aldo Romano » March 24th, 2008, 7:09 pm

The key to getting good reaction from this trick is a very simple one. Always have the spectator put their hand on the aces throughout the performance. The reaction will double when the aces are revealed. I know that some remarkable performers have not followed this path but I do think in most cases it is to be recommended.

Richard is right. Even though the trick is credited to Mac Macdonald (who only had one arm) it was actually invented by Hofzinser and was known as "The Power of Faith"

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » March 24th, 2008, 10:30 pm

I just recently read Dingle's version in Magicana. The version in Magicana is not the same handling found in Dingle's Complete Works. There's also a great write-up in Magicana on setting up for this effect from a full deck of cards. This desciption can be found in the first or second year after Kaufman took the reigns of Genii.

Richard Morrell

Postby Richard Morrell » March 25th, 2008, 9:12 pm

If you want an unusual approach and what is an excellent handling check out Jack Parkers The Three Stooges which appeared in Genii and also is in 52 Memories. I was one of the 'Stooges' when Jack showed this at The Session and smoked me and a room full of magicians, its a great hands-off handling that involves three people and allows them to do all the magic, and is typical of Jacks thinking.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 27th, 2008, 1:55 pm

IMHO the BEST LAYDOWN to start is 'STARTLED' by Emile Clifton. Sooo smooth and sooo decpeively easy. Available from Card by Martin.
Stay tooned.

Reinhard Mueller

Postby Reinhard Mueller » March 30th, 2008, 1:17 pm

Don't forget
Frank Garcia's Handling in the NEW STARS OF MAGIC, Vol.1 No.2 "MacDonald's $100 Dollar Four Ace Trick", Tannen, Inc. New York 1972

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » April 15th, 2008, 3:48 pm

I have used two different handlings for this trick. The first guy I saw do this routine was Bob Rath of WI. Later I worked out two different routines for this effect. I liked the first two ace productions but I did not like the last two ace productions in the original routine.

I found when performing this for lay people the first two ace productions were "stronger" than the last two ace productions. So I ended up working out two new ways of doing it that better suited my performing style.

And I still do them the same way at shows today.

Just my opinion.

Silly Walter

Postby Silly Walter » April 18th, 2008, 6:01 pm

Stewart Judah has an excellent laydown sequence for this effect in Pallbearers Review. MacDonald's Aces is such a powerful trick that even Chuck Fayne's [censored] version plays well.
Silly Walter The Polar Bear

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 18th, 2008, 9:24 pm

Ah, Walter, back again I see. Why do you have to plop on Chuck Fayne? I'm sure there are worse versions in print than his?

Cugel

Postby Cugel » April 18th, 2008, 11:45 pm

I don't care what anyone says about his McDonald Aces. Chuck has the funniest comedy club act in magic. His curmudgeonly (grumpy old wombat) demeanour is hilarious and the peeked selections routine is a killer.

Silly Walter

Postby Silly Walter » April 19th, 2008, 1:41 am

Cugel wrote:I don't care what anyone says about his McDonald Aces. Chuck has the funniest comedy club act in magic. His curmudgeonly (grumpy old wombat) demeanour is hilarious and the peeked selections routine is a killer.

I totally agree. He has that character down pat and he has a great act. I just don't know if I can forgive him for releasing that crappy lecture video.

No offense !!!

Silly Walter

Postby Silly Walter » April 19th, 2008, 1:44 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Ah, Walter, back again I see. Why do you have to plop on Chuck Fayne? I'm sure there are worse versions in print than his?

You are probably right Richard, but nothing comes to mind. I'll check through my Randy Wakeman books just to be sure.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » April 19th, 2008, 3:29 am

Yep. That DVD was [censored], no doubt.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » April 19th, 2008, 9:07 am

If I remember right - Johnny Thompson had a good routine on this on one of his video's.

I hope this helps.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » April 20th, 2008, 6:09 pm

Back in the early 80's myself and another two magicians were booked to do close-up magic nightly in a restaurant - . Each of us had McDonald's Aces in our repertoires. The maitre d' would introduce us at the tables and frequently watch our performances.

Over the six month time we were there, he figured out all our tricks, except McDonald's Aces.

I must resurrect it.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 20th, 2008, 6:18 pm

Silly Walter wrote:Stewart Judah has an excellent laydown sequence for this effect in Pallbearers Review. MacDonald's Aces is such a powerful trick that ...

hey great misdirection there!

Would you recall the issue or page number for this?

Silly Walter

Postby Silly Walter » April 20th, 2008, 7:42 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Silly Walter wrote:Stewart Judah has an excellent laydown sequence for this effect in Pallbearers Review. MacDonald's Aces is such a powerful trick that ...

hey great misdirection there!

Autumn 1974 Issue (Volume 9). It's in a Stewart Judah one man issue and the trick is called MacDonald's Aces.

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » April 20th, 2008, 10:32 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Silly Walter wrote:

Autumn 1974 Issue (Volume 9).

See pp. 807-808; yes SW, it is an excellent sequence.
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » April 23rd, 2008, 5:46 pm

A fellow from Japan asked me which issue of Genii contains the updated Dingle version of Macdonalds's Aces. The issue is December 2004...

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 23rd, 2008, 8:19 pm

Is that the one using the Stuart Gordon Turnover and the KM variant under the fan? He did that bit for the group when he visited the Governor Cafeteria way back when.

Did his "quick three way" where you wind up able to show all three cards identical at the end ever hit print? Or the one with the jokers->guarentee jokers->fourkings...

Yeah it was a memorable visit :)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 23rd, 2008, 10:14 pm

Jonathan, to answer your second question (because I can't remember the answer to the first): no, those versions of "Quick D-Way" are not published. Can you provide details to my e-mail address?

retepnap

Postby retepnap » May 1st, 2008, 3:29 pm

does anyone do the Erdnase version with the Queens? The one that Ricky Jay does in his show? i made the cards and use that everytime i perform it, i know its not MacDonalds aces, but i use the same handling that i learned from the Dingle handling in genii, only with the patter from Erdnase...i feel it gives a reason to the trick, and the story when told right, pulls people in and gets them interested in the plot, and it becomes more of a performance piece than just a neat trick one can do...

Bo Jonsson

Postby Bo Jonsson » May 1st, 2008, 3:46 pm

I believe that it is Frank Garcia doing his handling from the New Stars of Magic Here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/se ... dollar_fun

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 1st, 2008, 3:48 pm

retepnap- the spoken part of the script Ricky Jay uses may be the text from erdnase but the handling, including the production and vanishes, used is not at all what's in that book.

RK - will do. Have to go back and review what I recall seeing him do a few times to go from visual impressions to moves and setups - and send you an email.

retepnap

Postby retepnap » May 2nd, 2008, 9:24 am

i know the productions and vanishes are not from the book, i was just talking about the patter, i learned the way from the book but didnt like the way you had to lay the supposed queens face down, so when i saw the handleing Ricky Jay does, and realized its basically the same as the MacDonald aces, i quickly adjusted how i was doing it, and ended up using the Derek Dingle Handling of the Aces...

just out of curiosity, is there any place to get the Queens with indifferent backs, all of my double faced queens have two of the queens with indifferent backs, and then two of them have queens on the other side, Queen of hearts/Queen of clubs, Queen of clubs/Queen of Hearts...i have been making my own for the past few years but can not seem to find all four, or actually a full three queens with indifferent backs????

Edward

Postby Edward » May 3rd, 2008, 7:12 pm

retepnap, Marty at martinismagic.com will make some up for you at a great price. Very nice gentleman.

retepnap

Postby retepnap » May 8th, 2008, 11:49 am

thanks

Chas Nigh

Postby Chas Nigh » November 29th, 2015, 6:36 pm

Funny, no one has mentioned Don Alan's routine in Pretty Sneaky. One of the most commercial tricks that I do.

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 29th, 2015, 7:05 pm

I would never perform Macdonald's Aces with queens instead of the aces. I don't have permission.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 29th, 2015, 7:32 pm

The only person you'd need permission from is Hofzinser.

performer

Postby performer » November 29th, 2015, 7:34 pm

I have many, many wonderful tricks in my repertoire. However, I believe the strongest one I do is MacDonalds Aces. As I have mentioned repeatedly in the past you MUST get the spectator to put his hands on the ace pile. I am adamant about this. If you don't then you lose 50% of the reaction. And not only the reaction at the end of the trick. The reaction when they talk about it for days afterwards. You will hear time after time, "But my hands were on the cards!"

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 29th, 2015, 7:54 pm

Speak of the Devil, maybe Performer can help me contact Hofzinser.

performer

Postby performer » November 29th, 2015, 8:12 pm

You are truly psychic. We cross posted at the same time that I was about to inform you that I had indeed been in touch with Hofzinser in the spirit world despite the language barrier. I was quite surprised he had learned English over there. He wishes me to inform you that he doesn't mind a bit if you use Queens. He tells me that he doesn't perform the trick any more so you are quite welcome.

He did say some very rude things about MacDonald though, stealing his trick and putting his name to it. He said the trick should be called "The Power of Faith" and will withdraw his permission if you ever attribute it to MacDonald again.

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 29th, 2015, 9:13 pm

Thank you Performer. Took a heck of chance though, crossing to the Other Side. One of these days, you won't be able to make it back.

I won't attribute it to Macdonald and just to be safe, I won't use the Erdnase patter.

performer

Postby performer » November 29th, 2015, 9:20 pm

Oh, I often visit the other side. I must say Hofzinser was a very good talker. He did a couple of card tricks for me. His patter was amazingly brief and not long winded at all as was the fashion in those days. Some of the people around nowadays with their long winded chatter could learn a thing of two from him.

And yes, he wasn't keen on the long winded Erdnase chatter at all. And HE put his hand on the leader pile too!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 29th, 2015, 9:26 pm

The Hofzinser item(s) Power of Faith (uses jacks) and The Four Kings (uses kings) look like a good place to put the gaffed assembly credit. The latter has that line about a lady choosing her King. Working from the Fischer/Sharpe book.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 29th, 2015, 9:52 pm

This is an excerpt from the website, "Conjuring Credits.com, The Origins of Wonder"

Hofzinser/MacDonald Ace Assembly

In the mid-nineteenth century, Johann Hofzinser performed a strikingly similar plot to The MacDonald Ace Assembly as one phase of a larger routine called “A Power of Faith,” published in Ottokar Fischer's Kartenkünste, 1910, p. 69 of the Sharpe translation...The first trick of its kind to be published was Kaufmann's “Prepared Four Ace Trick” in Mahatma, Vol. 7 No. 11, May 1904, p. 125, six years before Hofzinser's material was released.

The plot's name comes from Mac MacDonald's “MacDonald's $100 Routine” in Lewis Ganson's Dai Vernon's More Inner Secrets of Card Magic, 1960, p. 26.

The first version of this trick in which each Ace was vanished from its packet in a different manner was by Ken Krenzel in M-U-M, Vol. 51 No. 3, Aug. 1962, p. 108, under the title “Those Extra Touches”.

Larry Jennings was the first to add a “backfire” coda, in “MacJennings Aces” from Genii, Vol. 62 No. 1, Jan. 1999, p. 39.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”