'5 x 5 Japan' and 'New Magic From Japan'

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Jonathan Levey

'5 x 5 Japan' and 'New Magic From Japan'

Postby Jonathan Levey » July 8th, 2003, 8:16 pm

09th July 2003

Greetings,
I was wondering if someone could tell me where I can find a review of these two books, or if anyone would be kind enough to post a little review here, it would be much appreciated.
Regards,
Jonathan Rubel =)

Chris Aguilar

Re: '5 x 5 Japan' and 'New Magic From Japan'

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 8th, 2003, 9:35 pm

I purchased 5x5 Japan a few months ago and have now read it cover to cover.

It's a very well produced book (as all Kaufman tomes are) with some really inventive magic within. You'll find routines with cards, coins, and even a rubberband effect.

Some highlights include:

An ambitious card ending using a paperclippped card.

Two gaffed card box effects. One in which you produce a deck from a empty squished box and another in which you take a deck out of the box and instantly the box reappears around the deck.

A very interesting (but difficult to construct) version of "Holy POD", an effect from Richards Almanac.

I'm not much of a coin guy, but the coin routines included did seem interesting.

Lots of interesting gaffs to build in this book and it is very nicely illustrated (by Ton Onasaka if my memory isn't failing me)

The book isn't very expensive at all and I would give it a strong recommendation.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » July 11th, 2003, 7:50 pm

Hi Jonathan,

While this may not be the detailed review you were hoping for, I CAN tell you that both "5 x 5 Japan" and "The New Magic of Japan" showcase extremely high levels of creativity. Pretty much every page will make you smile in appreciation.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Brad A._dup1

Postby Brad A._dup1 » July 12th, 2003, 12:39 am

Those books came out in the late eighties, early nineties, right? (circa??)

It might be easier to just look in an old Linking Ring or Genii or something from those years.

Why would you like to see the reviews? Just for fun, or to see if you want the book?
-Brad
Former Vonnegut Character

Jonathan Levey

Postby Jonathan Levey » July 12th, 2003, 4:58 pm

12th July 2003

I was interested in getting a book or two, and I just thought of getting something a little different this time, like magic from a different culture and hopefully find some creative and original stuff in them.
Thanks for the replies so far.
Regards,
Jonathan Rubel
Sydney, Australia =)

Brad A._dup1

Postby Brad A._dup1 » July 12th, 2003, 5:42 pm

I have always thought the 5 Times 5 idea was a brilliant idea for magic-literature. The way Japanese magicians think is quite different than us American magicians--or, in your case, Australian magicians.

Can anyone here think of some pros and cons for 5x5 Japan? (I have nothing bad to say about it, nor do the responses above this).

I sometimes will buy a book on the flip of a coin :)
-Brad

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » July 12th, 2003, 6:20 pm

I enjoyed the 5 X 5 volumes very much. I especially recommend the Japan edition for a different take on magic as Brad has stated. Unfortunately, from an earlier post Richard has said that there probably won't be anymore 5 X 5 volumes.

Frank Yuen

David Acer

Postby David Acer » July 14th, 2003, 8:23 am

I told Richard I would be happy to write a 5 x 5 Canada in return for a subscription to Genii at 50% off the news-stand price, but he told me Genii isn't available at news-stands, so I should just shut my pie-hole, then he punched me in the groin.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Postby Guest » July 14th, 2003, 6:36 pm

I guess he meant it when he said there wouldn't be any more. --Asrah

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 14th, 2003, 6:56 pm

I punched him in the EYE, not the groin.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Frank Starsinic

Postby Frank Starsinic » August 7th, 2003, 4:49 pm

I used the appearing deck effect effect from 5x5 with good success.

It is definitely different than the standard faire.

frank

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 7th, 2003, 5:43 pm

There's a funny story about how I got Kuniyasu Fujiwara to give me his Appearing Deck for 5x5: Japan. He was reluctant to publish it. I turned to Ton Onosaka for help in persuading him. (I always turn to Ton when I need help: he never fails.)
Anyway, I don't each fish ... ANY kind of fish, cooked or raw ... but I told Ton that I would try sushi if he could convince Fujiwara to contribute that trick to the book.
He did.
I ate raw fish.
First time, and last time.
It is a GREAT effect: blows other versions out of the water and worth the price of the book.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Mike Rubinstein

Postby Mike Rubinstein » August 7th, 2003, 8:59 pm

That story sounds a bit fishy to me. One book is good, but tun ar great. 5X5 was definitely the bass t, so get off your perch and buy them if Richard has any on sal, mon! Ok, that was a bit too carpy, even for me.....

Kamus

Postby Kamus » August 7th, 2003, 10:21 pm

I love this book! The Stanley Collins/Corinda trick is easy yet extremely mystifying and I agree that the appearing deck is the best version out there. Virtually every effect is terrific although many involve extensive though worthwhile preparation. Some of the coin stuff requires a great deal of practice but again to worthwhile effect.
For me, this book was much more interesting than the Scottish 5x5- nothing wrong with that book, but the effects were much more hum-drum ordinary by comparison. ( and I'm a Scot)
I'm sorry to hear that Richard has dropped the idea: I would have loved to see books of Indian and Chinese magic along the same line.

James Lee

Postby James Lee » August 8th, 2003, 7:08 am

I got some Sushi at the carry-out place. I deep fried 'em and they weren't bad.

James

Russell Davis
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Russell Davis » August 8th, 2003, 11:53 am

I prefer the 5 x 5 Japan over New Magic of Japan.

I made up the Fujiwara Appearing Deck (flat "road-killed" case to solid deck-filled case) using a small flattened box that a bottle of pills came in, and the folded fine-print sheet of technical info that comes with the drugs, both of the flat items inside a pharmaceuticals brochure instead of a wallet.

Opened the brochure toward spectators (doctors and nurses), read medical ad blurb, removed flattened box from within (no move yet) and expounded on its extreme portability. Went back for the tech-info sheet, pulled it halfway off the brochure, paused to say a word or two (Don't Do Drugs?), pulled it rest of way out along with "flattened" box, closing brochure at same time, effecting a nice visual-retention suggestion that both items came from inside the brochure.

Said something about the tech-info sheet and put it and brochure aside. Magically made flat box go from two dimensions to three. Flipped open box top. Removed bottle of pills. (And distributed sedatives to magic-frenzied spectators.)

Return to “General”