Atheists as Christmas Pareade Grand Marshals

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Atheists as Christmas Pareade Grand Marshals

Postby Matthew Field » November 13th, 2015, 6:55 am

Here's the story: "The 84th Annual Hollywood Christmas Parade, the largest Christmas celebration in America, announces that Penn & Teller, stars of the hit CW series "Penn & Teller: Fool Us," will be the Grand Marshals for this year's 2015 extravaganza."

D\oes no one else find it ironic that two outspoken atheists are the parade's grand marshals celebrating the birth of Christ, and everyone's fine with that, while people are up in arms over the Starbuck's cup design?

O tempora! O mores!

Matt Field
(A Buddhist and an atheist)

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Re: Atheists as Christmas Pareade Grand Marshals

Postby Q. Kumber » November 13th, 2015, 7:09 am

About forty years ago a friend of mine was looking at the window Christmas displays of a large department store. As he walked along he came to one window which had the Nativity scene - Baby Jesus in the manger with Mary, Joseph, shepherds etc.

A young couple were also perusing the windows and when they came to the Nativity scene, the man remarked to his girlfriend, "Look, now they're dragging religion into it."

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » November 13th, 2015, 7:30 am

What an outrage! If there was ever an event that celebrates the birth of Christ in all His wondrous glory, that would have to be the Hollywood Christmas Parade. And to have as its grand marshals two outspoken atheists who have devoted their lives to the practice and performance of odd feats of magic no less - well, the mind boggles. Apparently Penn & Teller were trying to be even more ironic than last year when they lead the procession into the Vatican Basilica - Teller bearing the crucifix and Penn rocking a smoking, mirrored censer - for the pope's celebration of midnight mass.

It is indeed odd that Penn & Teller would agree to Go Public and Play in Traffic like this. They could Get Killed! This is clearly B*llsh*t! Why would they Tell a Lie? Perhaps these are merely Cruel Tricks for Dear Friends? Or maybe they're just trying to Fool Us.
Last edited by brianarudolph on November 13th, 2015, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 13th, 2015, 8:05 am

This is, to me, as ironic as the boys giving away, as a trophy for fooling them on their show, a trophy with the giant letters "F U" and the other letters in the Fool Us name much smaller. Doesn't this suggest their response to having been fooled? F. U. indeed. Neil Simon used the idea when he called his characted Felix Unger in "The Odd Couple."

Matt Field

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 13th, 2015, 8:08 am

A parade on presents day/Yule?

Okay, are they gonna be naughty or nice?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

JohnCox
Favorite Magician: HOUDINI!

Postby JohnCox » November 13th, 2015, 9:52 am

I want to know where they stand on Santa Claus.
Visit my blog Wild About Harry

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » November 13th, 2015, 11:29 am

JohnCox wrote:I want to know where they stand on Santa Claus.

Please...No discussion on Santa or, as I know him, Father Christmas. There are children watching.

Don't ruin the Magic.

AJM

Postby AJM » November 13th, 2015, 1:10 pm

And don't forget Francis Urquhart / Frank Underwood from House of Cards.

'Democracy is so overrated'

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » November 13th, 2015, 2:01 pm

JohnCox wrote:I want to know where they stand on Santa Claus.

They probably stand on his hands, feet, and who knows where else! :lol:
Last edited by I.M. Magician on November 14th, 2015, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 13th, 2015, 4:20 pm

With all respect to my dear friend Matt, I see no difference between having atheists as the Grand Marshals of a Christmas Day parade and having, just for example, a Jew as the Grand Marshall. If David Copperfield were named Grand Marshall of the parade, would this conversation have even come up?

I don't think so.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » November 13th, 2015, 5:56 pm

Many atheists celebrate Christmas, but as a secular holiday rather than a religious holy day. In this country (USA) Christmas has devolved into nothing more or less than the time of the year when corporations fade out of the red and into the black by encouraging massive mass consumption. Corporations don't care who participates, Christians, Jews, atheists, Scientologists, or LGM, so long as they participate by writing checks, swiping cards, and decking the halls with boughs of dollars. Besides, this certainly won't be the first time atheists have led the parade, only the first time they've been out about it.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » November 13th, 2015, 7:03 pm

And equally, perhaps for many atheists, agnostics, and "others" Christmas is simply a nice break away from work, time to spend with the family, travel to be with loved ones, and simply take a moment from what is an otherwise busy year for most folks and reflect on the things that matter to them personally.

"Consumerism" doesn't have to be (and isn't) a part of it for huge numbers of folks of all religious or non-religious persuasions.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 13th, 2015, 9:16 pm

With due respect to Matt, I agree with the comments above.

As a Christian, I realize the Hollywood Christmas Parade really isn't about Jesus' birth. Therefore, while I disagree with P & T's take on my faith (but respect them as people and magicians), I certainly don't have a problem with them being Grand Marshals of the parade.

PS: The Starbucks' coffee cups don't bother me either. ;)

Return to “Buzz”