Jonathan Townsend in Genii

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.
cataquet

Jonathan Townsend in Genii

Postby cataquet » August 21st, 2006, 3:44 am

Those who get their copies of Genii in the US, and those that get their copies abroad via airmail tell me that the original writeup of Visual Coins Across has finally hit print. So, where's the bustle? I was expecting some fuss, but so far nothing. Comments?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Jonathan Townsend in Genii

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 21st, 2006, 8:06 am

There have been some comments here--but it's an extremely difficult routine and it's not like everyone can do it upon reading it.

It's also designed to be done standing very close to only a few spectators because it involves Deep BackClip, and so it doesn't match the type of performance opportunities that the 3Fly type routines it spawned does.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » August 21st, 2006, 11:32 am

It is a difficult routine. In some ways I would expect nothing less from Mr. Townsend. While I am way too lazy to do his routine I am glad he has finally received the recognition for the concept he deserves.

This is never the end of it however. Now that he has been documented as the originator he will have an endless battle to keep this data out there and acknowledged by those in magic.

Such things become muddled in history especially in magic history and are often lost and only recovered years later - sometimes never.

Nice piece Jon and as always Genii does a remarkable job. Truly a journal of magic rather than just a magazine. Kudos for Mr. Kaufman as well.

Frank Tougas

Postby Guest » August 30th, 2006, 1:53 pm

I am personally so thrilled that Richard published this. I have waited a long time for the original work to be published and will give this the time it deserves. Congratulations on another coup Richard. Your publication is continually getting better and it started out great!

Joe

Postby Guest » September 10th, 2006, 7:53 pm

After having finally been able to read the article, particularly the history of the effect, I got a feeling similar to the one an orphan feels when he finally meets his real parents, and finds out that they've been looking for him too.

Also...the documention that Jonathan provided in the Genii magazine for the development and history of his Coins Across is nothing short of stunning. It's fortunate for all that he has dang near total recall and is willing to print all of the work's history and references. I found it immensely helpful. Also, I believe that his writing will "raise the bar" for all magic literature with regards to documentation and thought processes.

At the very least, I sincerely hope it does.

Postby Guest » September 12th, 2006, 10:29 am

I have to agree... this is the first published routine I have read of Mr. Townsend's, and it is a pleasure to have access to such well thought-out and presented work.

Postby Guest » September 14th, 2006, 7:57 am

Hi There.

I agree 100 percent.

Jons article is truly a joy to read and study.

Who needs a slippery sam?..................

Best

John ;)

Postby Guest » September 14th, 2006, 5:37 pm

Jon deserves a big hand for finally releasing this. It's definitely worth study.

And it shows the nay sayers that it can be done with something besides quarters.

Postby Guest » September 14th, 2006, 8:04 pm

Originally posted by Bill Palmer:
And it shows the nay sayers that it can be done with something besides quarters. [/QB]
Well...it shows that Jon can do it with something besides quarters :)

I was in awe of the whole article, history, back story...all great!

Postby Guest » September 19th, 2006, 3:11 pm

awe
1. an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, fear, etc., produced by that which is grand, sublime, extremely powerful, or the like: in awe of God; in awe of great political figures.
2. Archaic. power to inspire fear or reverence.

I DO LIKE THIS WORD.

:D

Postby Guest » September 21st, 2006, 12:32 pm

Newer to the forum, so this is my first post. Foturnatly, I just got an office job, so I'll be able to post plenty, hehe. Anyway, onto the topic.

I LOVED reading Mr. Townsends orginally VCA, and was impressed, but not suprised by the diffuclty and the difference from Three Fly. A great discussion about VCA vs. Three Fly appears on the CoinVention DVD set, which is completely worth getting if you're a coin guy. (It pained me to make the reccomedation, I want to keep all that stuff for myself.) Anyway, killer writeup...

Postby Guest » September 21st, 2006, 12:54 pm

Happy to read some folks enjoyed the article.

Has anyone else played with the first or second version of the lunchroom coins across?

Postby Guest » September 22nd, 2006, 7:09 pm

Yes, my coins ended up all across the lunch room... ;)

Postby Guest » September 23rd, 2006, 9:55 pm

Awesome is a good word to describe the article. Humbling is another. Jonathan obviously has great technical skill.

Kudos to Jonathan for a great routine and a great article.

Return to “Feature Articles”