Stanley Collins -- The Shuffler

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Bill Mullins

Stanley Collins -- The Shuffler

Postby Bill Mullins » October 20th, 2015, 10:20 am

British Pathe link

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Stanley Collins -- The Shuffler

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 20th, 2015, 10:52 am

This was included in the Stanley Collins bio by Eddie Dawes I published many years ago.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

performer

Postby performer » October 20th, 2015, 11:20 am

What impresses me is that he was doing that stuff in 1931. All of it would be just as good today as it was back then. Yet, it has been a long time since I saw the back arm spreads and cuts in mid air.

Here is another old timer at work. Not quite as much an old timer as Stanley Collins. I think he is great nevertheless. I used to use those Indian backed cards myself! You could only get them from Woolworths in those days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc0mSsS4X2Y

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » October 20th, 2015, 7:42 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:This was included in the Stanley Collins bio by Eddie Dawes I published many years ago.

One of my favorite books! I always wondered if it sold well, or was just underrated.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 20th, 2015, 9:11 pm

It sold slowly, as we expected it would. But it didn't lose money. Not sure if we have any left.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » October 20th, 2015, 10:58 pm

performer wrote:Here is another old timer at work. Not quite as much an old timer as Stanley Collins. I think he is great nevertheless. I used to use those Indian backed cards myself! You could only get them from Woolworths in those days.

That boomerang card catch behind the back was ridiculous! Great, smooth card fans, especially his reverse fans. Those reverse fans are so difficult to do smoothly.

performer

Postby performer » October 20th, 2015, 11:52 pm

I can do about 65 to 70 percent of that stuff. Alas the rest is quite beyond me. I have always done the boomerang card in order to get attention and gather a crowd with the svengali deck. Alas I cannot do it behind my back.

That reminds me. About 55 years ago or so I saw David Berglas toss a deck of cards behind his back with his right hand. It went right round his back and he caught it with his left hand. I bet he doesn't do it any more!

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”