Favorite Coin Routines

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Bin
Favorite Magician: David Williamson

Favorite Coin Routines

Postby Bin » May 22nd, 2015, 8:39 am

I'm a fairly new magician, and I was curious to hear from some more experienced ones what their favorite coin routines are. Which do you enjoy performing? Which, in your experience, get the best reactions? And do you have any particular way of presenting the routines that makes them suit you in particular?

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Re: Favorite Coin Routines

Postby MagicbyAlfred » June 7th, 2015, 1:13 pm

My favorite coin routine is Matrix. In my experience, laymen see Matrix as very magical. Out of the four or five routines I perform professionally, it gets the best reaction. Personally, I like to end with the production of a jumbo coin that matches the real silver 1964 Kennedy half dollars I use. It is a delightful surprise, and spectators love it. Matrix was originally created by Al Schneider. The classic routine, as created by Al, uses four cards and four coins. Derek Dingle helped to enhance it, and many brilliant magicians have contributed to its evolution. There are now in existence many ways to do the routine, and many variations created by many magicians along the way. Researching various magicians' routines, and coming up with one that suits your style and abilities is highly recommended. I would advise using those routines as a starting point, particularly one that really appeals to you. But be careful not to make your routine a carbon copy of someone else's especially when to comes to the patter. Be creative and come up with your own entertaining lines and/or story. You don't want to be just (as Eugene Burger calls it) the "generic magician." The creativity and adding your personal touches is a big part of the fun and artistry of magic. There are many Matrix routines set forth in books and on videos. For example, L&L publishing has a DVD of various magicians doing their Matrix routines. My favorite Matrix routines that I have seen are Bill Malone's and Dan Fleshman's. Those routines exemplify great magic, but equally important, creativity, fun and ENTERTAINING with magic. Have fun!

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » June 7th, 2015, 2:54 pm

'Three Coins and a Shot Glass' by Jindai Nishikawa in the June 2014 issue of GENII is a great trick.

There was a lot of buzz about this trick last year! And it is pretty easy to do.

Will Jung
Favorite Magician: Ponta The Smith

Postby Will Jung » June 7th, 2015, 3:15 pm

I don't perform coin magic much, but my favorite is the late Dean Dill's coin matrix. Fairly simple and packs a hard punch!

One that I've been working on is Ponta the Smith's "Winged Silver." It's absolutely beautiful. I suggest that you check it out when you have the chance.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » June 8th, 2015, 7:10 pm

Yes, Will, I agree. All of Ponta the Smith's coin work is immaculate. He would definitely be a good "coin role model" for Bin. (He has several routines posted on YouTube). All his work is clean, smooth, graceful, magical, like you said, beautiful to watch. Truly, just standard/basic coin moves, but executed so cleanly and choreographed so thoughtfully. Clearly, he put a lot of work and dedication into what he does. In my view, this is what magician's should strive for - to make magic an art form worthy of the same respect people give to great music, film, theater etc. I will certainly be studying Ponta the Smith, as I know that doing so is bound to elevate my coin magic.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » June 9th, 2015, 7:32 am

Progressive Production is one of my favorite coin effects.

A single coin becomes 2 then 3, then 4 and then 5.

I have two different presentations which I posted on October 1, 2004 of the Perverse Magic thread of this forum.

This effect by Bob Carver appears on page 377 of Bobo "The New Modern Coin Magic" (it's not in the first edition or the paperback Dover version).

Jeffrey Cowan
Favorite Magician: Bob Kohler & Tim Conover

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » June 9th, 2015, 11:49 pm

Your question lacks context for performing conditions. Are you talking about a stand-up routine or one in which the performer may be seated? Is a close-up mat (or comparable surface) part of the performing conditions? There is lots of superb coin routines, but favorites invariable are tied to conditions.
-- Jeffrey Cowan
www.cowan-law.com

Bin
Favorite Magician: David Williamson

Postby Bin » June 10th, 2015, 9:52 am

I was sort of being nonspecific to generate a discussion.

Meaning, what is your favorite routine within your preferred conditions? Or what is your all time favorite overall?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 10th, 2015, 2:06 pm

Just heard someone minted a 2.50 coin. ;)
http://www.theguardian.com/business/sho ... ns-the-war

next up - crossing the Vernon Unlimited Coinage(Vernon book of magic) and Goshman Salt Shaker ideas to show off an impossible coin gaff with a bang ring.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » June 10th, 2015, 6:05 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Just heard someone minted a 2.50 coin. ;)
http://www.theguardian.com/business/sho ... ns-the-war

Old news

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 10th, 2015, 6:18 pm

Ramsay's "Cylinder and Coins" gets my vote. I saw Paul Wilson perform this in the Close-Up Gallery at The Magic Castle and it received an excellent reaction from the laymen in the room (as well as the magicians).
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 10th, 2015, 8:14 pm

Tim Conover's version of Cylinder and Coins also rocks.

For me: Tommy Wonder's "Socked Coins." (I love coin magic with context.)

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » June 10th, 2015, 10:01 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Ramsay's "Cylinder and Coins" gets my vote. I saw Paul Wilson perform this in the Close-Up Gallery at The Magic Castle and it received an excellent reaction from the laymen in the room (as well as the magicians).

And he performed it at the Genii Bash. As did Tom Stone. And Eric Mead. And I want to say that John Carney did as well, but Dustin's write-up in Genii doesn't say so, so maybe I'm misremembering.

Regardless, it's a great trick. And it didn't suffer at all by being performed by three excellent magicians at the same convention.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » June 12th, 2015, 2:18 pm

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree that the Coins & Cylinder is a winner. Very magical (depending, as always, upon who is performing it, of course). The wand is a vastly overlooked tool. Not only is it an icon, arguably, the ultimate symbol of magic, but a phenomenal facilitator of misdirection. It is uncanny to me that layman virtually never suspect there is anything in the hand holding the wand, when that same hand, without the wand, would otherwise scream palming/holding out. The cups and balls done with a wand is the classic example. David Williamson also does a superb routine with three silver dollars and a wand (sorry the name of his video escapes me) where he taps the wand in the air and then produces the "invisible" coin, repeating this effect, along with some other beautiful vanish and production sequences. I think the link below provides a good example of some very clean coin work. My only issue with it is the explanatory patter. (Sorry if that is deemed off topic, but I cannot separate the quality of the patter from the quality of a routine - coin, or otherwise). Somehow there seems to be an inherent challenge to the spectators and arguably a bit of an insult to the onlookers' intelligence when the patter consists of telling them what you are doing as you are doing it. Is that entertainment? In my view, no, but that's just me, and it's for each magician to decide - or perhaps more accurately, for his/her audience to do so.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » June 12th, 2015, 2:21 pm

Whoops sorry, I forgot to post the aforementioned linK;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0BNO_2xjGs

PS I should also note that in the earlier-mentioned David Williamson routine, each time he taps the wand in the air, an audible clink is heard, as if the coin is really there and being tapped. It is brilliant.

Michael Westen
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Michael Westen » September 29th, 2015, 4:51 pm

I perform in restaurants and the occasional private shows. I often perform David Roth's Wild Coin using the cup. It works great in that venue and dumping the coins into a spectator hands after they change in the cup is always a surprise.

performer

Postby performer » September 29th, 2015, 6:03 pm

Deleted because of rudeness by Mr Goat and El Mystico.
Last edited by performer on October 26th, 2015, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr_goat
Favorite Magician: Glenn Bishop

Postby mr_goat » September 30th, 2015, 8:33 am

Bin wrote:I'm a fairly new magician, and I was curious to hear from some more experienced ones what their favorite coin routines are. Which do you enjoy performing? Which, in your experience, get the best reactions? And do you have any particular way of presenting the routines that makes them suit you in particular?

Problem with almost all coin magic is "it's in your other hand". And it almost always is.

Hence I only do two coin tricks. 3Fly with a slippery sam, and 3 coins across with a shell. Gets rid of the 'other hand' issue.
Yes, it is mrgoat, I just can't log in with old account.

performer

Postby performer » September 30th, 2015, 10:05 am

I have deleted this post as promised in retaliation for attacks made upon me without provocation. I will continue to do this every time I deem appropriate.
Last edited by performer on October 26th, 2015, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 30th, 2015, 10:12 am

mr_goat wrote:Problem with almost all coin magic is "it's in your other hand". And it almost always is.

That also works when you're doing a copper and silver coin transposition. Steve's Slider gaff has application there. ;)

mr_goat

Postby mr_goat » September 30th, 2015, 10:20 am

Jonathan Townsend wrote:
mr_goat wrote:Problem with almost all coin magic is "it's in your other hand". And it almost always is.

That also works when you're doing a copper and silver coin transposition. Steve's Slider gaff has application there. ;)

I think that's the perfect example JT. You change a coin into an other coin. What do people think? You have two coins. And they're right. It's awful. Although someone at the castle showed me a version of spellbound where the coin was invisible on one side and visible on the other. So instead of changing from copper to silver, it changed from being there to not being there, which was slightly better.

Although the coin is still in your other hand.

I just thought of another exception, Slydini's one coin trick. Our own El Mystico does it very nicely.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 30th, 2015, 10:24 am

mr_goat wrote:
Jonathan Townsend wrote:

I think that's the perfect example JT. You change a coin into an other coin. What do people think? You have two coins. And they're right. It's awful....

is it still awful when you start by showing the two coins, put one in a volunteer's hand and then the coin in your hand changes?

mr_goat

Postby mr_goat » September 30th, 2015, 12:05 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:is it still awful when you start by showing the two coins, put one in a volunteer's hand and then the coin in your hand changes?

if you do it like that, yes. :)

if you show ONE coin and place that in the spectators hand, then pull a different coin out of your pocket and BINGO BANGO BONGO you then have the coin in their hand and they have the one from your hand it's good. ;)

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » September 30th, 2015, 12:29 pm

mr_goat wrote: BINGO BANGO BONGO

I just wanted to quote that. They will be my magic words from now on.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 30th, 2015, 12:44 pm

mr_goat wrote:...if you show ONE coin and place that in the spectators hand, then pull a different coin out of your pocket and BINGO BANGO BONGO you then have the coin in their hand and they have the one from your hand it's good. ;)

IIRC Geoff Latta did the C/S transpo about like that. He offered to help a volunteer learn to vanish a coin. They got a silver coin. And some instruction. After a few missed attempts he'd take out a copper coin to show them how to make the gestures... They'd do the actions. He'd say the silver in their hand has vanished.. they'd be ... then he'd ask them to open their hand ... then he opened his hand. On the NY Coin Symposium DVDs?
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on September 30th, 2015, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

performer

Postby performer » September 30th, 2015, 12:49 pm

I worked out a solution to the Spellbound issue years ago which has worked well for the last quarter of a century or so. The trouble is that I formed it just at the same time I met Albert Goshman so wasn't as sure of it as I am now. I showed it to him and the old misery didn't like it but since he didn't seem to like David Roth or Slydini either I decided to ignore the old bastard and have continued to use it ever since. It addresses the issue perfectly.

You simply take the bull by the horns and say, "Of course you probably think I am using two coins. Well, you are quite right. I am. And here is the other coin" You now remove from your pocket a third coin which is a duplicate of the one you have just changed. Continue. "But that makes no difference because I can still make the copper coin change into a silver one and the silver one change back into a copper one" repeating the whole sequence again. Of course the bit that made me nervous was the fact that two copper coins would be blatantly on view right in front of them for a brief few seconds. That is what Goshman seemed to object to but only when I brought it to his attention in my moment of doubt.

Of course he was wrong and I was right as I always am. I instinctively knew from my years of experience in dealing with real people that the silly bastards wouldn't notice a damn thing even when it is right in front of them. It simply doesn't register in their minds because of the distraction of the patter and action of the trick. They see two copper coins right in front of them but don't process it in their minds.

And here is the best bit. I now have a third coin in play so I am now in a position to do the copper and silver transposition and the coin through trouser pocked ditches the extra coin at the end and I am clean.

54clancy
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

Postby 54clancy » October 12th, 2015, 6:10 pm

Marlo's coin box routine. Vanishes, penetrations, spellbound, transposition and the perfect use of the spider vanish. A oldie but a goodie.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » October 12th, 2015, 7:52 pm

My favorite coin routine is a complete vanish of a borrowed quarter. I use it almost exclusively in casual settings. If someone asks me to do a trick, I borrow a quarter and vanish it. That will usually be all the magic I do in that performance.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » October 12th, 2015, 8:49 pm

Pete McCabe wrote:My favorite coin routine is a complete vanish of a borrowed quarter. I use it almost exclusively in casual settings. If someone asks me to do a trick, I borrow a quarter and vanish it. That will usually be all the magic I do in that performance.

The really difficult part of this trick is not the vanish, but in getting the lender to fill out a W-2 for you for twenty-five cents.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » October 12th, 2015, 11:08 pm

I repay them a different quarter.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » October 13th, 2015, 8:28 am

Seriously, have you thought about not repaying them? I think the memory would be a lot stronger if their money was well and truly gone.

performer

Postby performer » October 13th, 2015, 10:12 am

Deleted because of rudeness my Mr Goat and El Mystico.
Last edited by performer on October 26th, 2015, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr_goat

Postby mr_goat » October 13th, 2015, 11:08 am

Insert "plane flying overhead" image here.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 13th, 2015, 11:47 pm

My personal favorite plot is Roth's Portable Hole. I have two versions, one for formal stand up and one for strolling. It's one of the most brilliant presentational concepts in magic and one of the most under-explored.

As for coin magic I like to watch, there have been two releases this year that gave me hope that good coin magic can still be found: Misbehavin' by Kainoa Harbottle, and the stand up coins through the table on Magic for the Shortsighted by Pipo Villanueva. Both are examples of perfected construction that look magical even when you know them inside out.

http://www.kainoaland.com
http://pipovillanueva.com/products/

If you are looking for a good introduction to coin magic, I'd recommend you start with David Stone's two DVDs. The magic is good, not what everyone else is doing, and offers material that is commercial and practical. Nate Kranzo's Stand Up Coin magic DVD is another good source for new guys. Not too demanding, but solid and practical material for both casual performers and working pros.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » October 14th, 2015, 11:23 am

Bill Mullins wrote:Seriously, have you thought about not repaying them? I think the memory would be a lot stronger if their money was well and truly gone.

Bill, that's why I repay them with a different quarter. If I'm in the classroom, I walk over to my file cabinet, take out my man purse, and give them a quarter from it. Their money is gone.

That's the idea, anyway. I do this for students often and it's not right for me to profit.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » October 14th, 2015, 4:12 pm

You should pay them back with two dimes and a nickel.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » October 14th, 2015, 6:04 pm

That's a great idea, Brad. I have several versions of a trick in which a quarter changes into two dimes and a nickel—one called "Exact Change" was in Genii a while back—and I could borrow a quarter, do that trick, and return the change.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » October 15th, 2015, 9:12 am

For guys who don't do coin magic (like me), but who need a killer routine occasionally, try "Mojo Boogie Boxes:"

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5468

http://www.roykueppers.com/mojoboogieboxes.html

http://forums.ellusionist.com/showthrea ... boogie-box

I will admit to creating this routine.

The video is a bit hard to follow because the lighting washes out the coins. They should have used copper coins or, as I do, casino chips, but you can see how effective the routine is.

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » October 15th, 2015, 3:28 pm

@Bob Farmer

That is a really cool routine. I keep asking myself why I am not smart enough to think of things like that. I will definitely get a set to go with my Okito box collection and also to use In performance.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » October 17th, 2015, 8:29 pm

I have a weakness for the Karate Coin effect. I know it's silly but it's fun to perform and I get a kick when I see my index finger impaled through the half dollar. For those magi unfamiliar with this trick, you toss an examined half dollar in the air and impale it with the index finger of the other hand when it drops down. You're left with an examinable half dollar with hole punched through it.

I keep the K coin classic palmed in my right hand punch side out. I display the kosher half dollar in spellbound position in my left hand while I drop my right hand and allow the K coin to fall out of classic palm to fingertip rest. It will do a 360 degree roll to finger tip rest, punch side up. From fingertip rest I insert my right index finger through it while I toss the kosher half dollar up in the air with my left hand. The rest is catching the half in your right hand and jutting your index finger out at the same instant.

It enhances the effect if you do a karate yell as your index finger swings out towards the dropping coin.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”