I Join Those Banned from The Magic Cafe

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: I Join Those Banned from The Magic Cafe

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 5th, 2014, 7:08 pm

I think everyone's had a chance to air their opinions, I am no longer banned from the Magic Cafe, and so unless someone has some genuinely useful and NEW information, let's leave it alone.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

AMcD

Postby AMcD » May 14th, 2014, 10:27 am

Well, welcome to the club I'd say!

I've been banned myself several times from the MC but I think I hold a few records of the kind.

- Been banned without posting! This is top of the top if you ask me.

- Banned after been insulted (and heavily, with a lot of profanity!)... without me answering!

- Still being banned while SB said I wasn't...

But the worst is to be edited or have parts of my messages rewritten. It happened maybe 3-4 times only in 7 years or so there, but it's absolutely awful and pitiful!

Anyway there are cool guys there and no one force us to be part of the MC right?

Dougini
Favorite Magician: There are too many

Postby Dougini » August 23rd, 2015, 11:55 pm

Hi Guys!

Most of you don't know me, but a few of you probably do, from The Magic Cafe. My name is Doug, and I joined the MC in 2002, so, 13 years...tonight, I was given a TWO month ban. They feel I use foul language. The words "damn" and "hell" are foul language to them. I tend to use those a lot.

Maybe I'm not as well-liked there as I thought. In 13 years, only ONE person has ever PMed me and said, "I don't like you!" I imagine there are more, but if I don't know about it, it ain't a problem.

Tom Cutts seems to be the one who banned me, as he has threatened to a couple of times. I found a way around the Cafe censor by putting a dot before the word "damn". Boy, THAT twisted their shorts in a circle!

Tonight, I'm not sure what pushed 'em over the edge, but I am VERY unhappy about it. I couldn't give a wally-hoop or a cadder-wumpus about the moderators or Steve Brooks, as I don't know them. I do have friendsin the Cafe, though.

Good people whom I cannot contact and tell them I'm banned. Or why. It sucks. I am very sad. I'm seriously thinking about not going back. EVER. I have never been banned from a forum. I belong to half a dozen. It hurts. If i do a self-imposed exile after Oct 22nd, it's gonna be like a death in the family.

Then I see Richard K. was banned? HUH? JIm Riser? Todd Lassen??? What the...? Wow, I join an elite group! I never actually used blatant profanity, but somebody over there does not like me, so...

I have been a magician since 1971. Everything from sponge balls to the Floating Ball. I was semi-pro for two years. I have been a creator, albeit privately, just for myself.

Been around the block a few times. I'm 59 and retired from 40 years in broadcasting. Radio, specifically. I lost everything in a house foreclosure in Florida in 2010. My some miracle, I just got all my Magic (10 boxes) back! Found in a storage shed! Long story.

So, am I welcome here? I admire all you guys! I just hope I can contribute some small thing once in a while here! Thanks for allowing me to join you! :)

Doug

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 24th, 2015, 12:31 am

I'm not banned any more (it was only a short smack on the backside).

You're welcome here. Any language you use that I don't like is automatically censored. If you try to find ways around that, then you will also be banned here. However my selection of naughty words is much shorter than those on the Magic Cafe.

And negative ranting about the running of the Cafe will also not be tolerated.

But you are otherwise welcome here. Enjoy the fun.

performer

Postby performer » August 24th, 2015, 6:09 am

Oh, you are all a bunch of amateurs! I have been banned from the magic cafe more times than all of you combined! However, I bet Steve Brooks likes me far more than one of the members here that when he was banned posted literally hundreds of obscene messages all over the magic cafe in a case of vindictive revenge. He completely trashed the place. He insists on sending me similar private messages on a daily basis by e-mail. I have received around twenty so far. I showed them to Richard who told me to simply block them. Perhaps I should if I can ever figure out how to do it.

On the other hand I find studying the mentally ill to be a fascinating exercise.

Oddly enough I get on reasonably well with Steve Brooks. I think his moderators get out of control sometimes but on the other hand they do have a difficult job.

Dougini

Postby Dougini » August 24th, 2015, 8:51 am

I love the Cafe. I don't have anything against Steve Brooks. Or the way the Cafe is run. Something got personal. My tolerance for exposure and the lack of respect for Magic & Mentalism is at ZERO. I may have crossed the line there several times.

They seem to cater to children there. That's fine. I guess I don't fit their idea of a good member. Hey, after 13 years, I got too comfortable. Assumed all was well. It wasn't. I was told by Tom Cutts that ALL the mods discussed my postings, and I guess I am not well-liked by them.

Thing is, I feel I contributed a LOT there. Was it a waste? Probably not. I have over 50 people in my PM inbox. All people I consider friends. If I was offensive, believe me, I would hear from them! So it's really a me vs Mods situation. Cafe members are NOT shy about calling people out on stuff.

Here, at Genii, I find a much more mature and experienced group of Magicians and Mentalists. As I learn my way around this site, I'll try and contribute where I can! :) Thank you guys!

Doug

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » August 24th, 2015, 9:43 am

I believe I have the distinction of being the only Cafe member who was banned for quoting President Dwight D. Eisenhower. :D

I didn't know the reason for the ban at first (and I was never told) but it was the only post of mine to be deleted, in a thread not started by me, about the "necessity" of the Hiroshima bomb. After nearly a page of replies, I quoted Eisenhower's opinion about the bomb--and really nothing much else. I figured a five-star general's opinion might be relevant to the matter. My post was deleted, I was banned, but the thread on that topic continued. You can probably still find it there if you search.

So a word to the wise: It's not only the words of performer that will get you banned. You must watch out for those seditious comments from the 34th President of the US.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » August 24th, 2015, 10:03 am

A Magic Cafe member suggested it was unnecessary to buy my marketed trick, the "Bammo Card
Walloper:" one could simply get a copy of the instructions and make it up at home.

This post was accompanied by a picture of the poster. I posted a note that suggested this guy was DIY in everything, from his bad haircut to his ill-fitting suit.

This post was deleted, but the original post stayed.

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » August 24th, 2015, 12:23 pm

Bob Farmer wrote:A Magic Cafe member suggested it was unnecessary to buy my marketed trick, the "Bammo Card
Walloper:" one could simply get a copy of the instructions and make it up at home.

Actually, why should one buy your book, The Bammo Ten Card Deal Dossier when all he needs to do is read the two or three hundred source references and memorize the routines?

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » August 24th, 2015, 12:33 pm

That's it! You're banned, Marquardt!

Matt Field

performer

Postby performer » August 24th, 2015, 1:27 pm

[quote="performer" He insists on sending me similar private messages on a daily basis by e-mail. I have received around twenty so far. I showed them to Richard who told me to simply block them. Perhaps I should if I can ever figure out how to do it.

[/quote]

I think I have figured out how to do it now. In addition I tried to put a hex on him but alas I found out he was cursed already.

And if Steve Brooks had any sense he would make me a moderator on the magic cafe. I would actually be rather good at it and of course allow Doug back immediately.

Bill Marquardt

Postby Bill Marquardt » August 24th, 2015, 2:45 pm

On a serious note, I know that it is disconcerting to be arbitrarily banned from a site, but in reality it should not be. The decisions are just that - arbitrary. Doug, you have always been what I consider to be one of the good guys on the Cafe, one who contributes to the board in a meaningful way. It upsets me a bit also to see you have been suspended.

As a message board administrator of 15 yeas (NOT for the Cafe or Genii) I can tell you that the job is not easy and when there are multiple moderators the rules will not be uniformly enforced. This is not necessarily a good excuse. I do not know Steve or any of the mods over there. Based on the comments of others it does seem that the rules are not equitably enforced and that is a shame.

I have always been willing to cut them some slack given the huge number of daily posts and the large number of members, many with multiple aliases and some with an ax to grind, but even my patience is growing thin.

Anyway, don't fret over a suspension.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 24th, 2015, 4:45 pm

so, can we now acknowledge that those who run the magic cafe have zero interest in bettering magic or helping other magicians and instead care only about tbeir own well being and personal perceived power?

Tom Cutts is a worthless lump of flesh. magic is worse off because he is in our midst.

mr_goat
Favorite Magician: Glenn Bishop

Postby mr_goat » August 24th, 2015, 4:47 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:so, can we now acknowledge that those who run the magic cafe have zero interest in bettering magic or helping other magicians and instead care only about tbeir own well being and personal perceived power?

Tom Cutts is a worthless lump of flesh. magic is worse off because he is in our midst.

I think that's been obvious for a very long time.
Yes, it is mrgoat, I just can't log in with old account.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 24th, 2015, 5:10 pm

to some. clearly not to all

performer

Postby performer » August 24th, 2015, 5:58 pm

I have read a lot of complaints about Tom Cutts but as far as I know he has not been particularly aggressive to me personally. Of course I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes so I could be wrong. I do know he sent me a message asking me to comment on a thread about the passing of my old adversary, that horrible old monster Ford Kross. Somehow he sensed I missed the nasty old bastard. Bob Cassidy said I and Ford were very much alike and the statement quite traumatised me.

Dougini

Postby Dougini » August 24th, 2015, 6:03 pm

Thank you, Bill. I've had all day to think about this. See, there is NO ONE I dislike there. I'm not like that. Tom Cutts is really an OK guy. I've corresponded with him and Harry a number of times. They all have been helpful. No animosity there.

Thing is, I have invested in material by Bob Cassidy. I need his input. He has become a friend over the years. Now, I'm cut off. Marion Boykin has become one of my BEST friends. As has Vinny Marini and Mickey Silver.

On the other hand, we have Jim Riser here. Mike Close. Richard Kaufman. People I am in awe over! And you guys, Brad, Mr. Goat. Bill. I already am starting to feel at home here. In fact, payday, I am subscribing to Genii. I think, despite my sadness being separated from my friends, I see where I needed to "graduate" from the Cafe.

I seriously may not go back. When I don't feel welcome somewhere, I do not stay. Besides, I see a very dark pattern forming there. A very disturbing trend. I do not see that here. I am grateful for Genii! Thank you! :)

Doug

Dougini

Postby Dougini » August 24th, 2015, 6:13 pm

performer wrote:I have read a lot of complaints about Tom Cutts but as far as I know he has not been particularly aggressive to me personally.

He has very little tolerance for rule-breakers. He rules with an iron fist. Maybe they NEED that. Not everyone can do that job. He ain't gettin' PAID either. I could not do it. I have seen a NUMBER of mods quit over the years.

God bless Steve Brooks and all the moderators at the Cafe. They may have done me the BIGGEST favor of them all. Long live The Magic Cafe! I have moved on now...and thank you, Performer, for your kind words!

Doug

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » August 24th, 2015, 6:19 pm

Dougini wrote:
Thing is, I have invested in material by Bob Cassidy. I need his input. He has become a friend over the years. Now, I'm cut off. Marion Boykin has become one of my BEST friends. As has Vinny Marini and Mickey Silver.

Doug

Looks like Bob Cassidy and Micky Silver are members here (so you could try to PM them):

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3105

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2548
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Bill Marquardt

Postby Bill Marquardt » August 24th, 2015, 6:47 pm

Hey, Doug, pick up on the Erdnase thread. (Check "Today's Active Topics") That will keep you busy for weeks.

performer

Postby performer » August 24th, 2015, 7:09 pm

Bob Cassidy will NOT communicate with you here! He is very upset with this forum and I can't say I blame him. There were far too many nasty comments about him being drunk when doing a lecture. He has since boycotted this place. There really is a terrible mean spiritedness about magicians and this is probably the reason I have detested them all my life even when they don't always deserve it. I love magic and indeed have devoted my life to it but I detest magicians. And yet I am here.

Bob Cassidy isn't and I think it a great pity. He is acknowledged as one of the great minds in mentalism and I don't give a stuff if he has too much to drink during a lecture. Magicians rarely learn anything from lectures anyway. They are going to be just as incompetent after the lecture as they were before whether the lecturer is drunk OR sober!

And come to think of it one of the most legendary figures in mentalism was the late Tony Corinda whom I knew personally. I saw him drunk on quite a few occasions! It didn't stop him writing THE book on mentalism!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 24th, 2015, 7:51 pm

Multiple viewers wrote that Cassidy seemed to be intoxicated, or behaving in like manner. No, he didn't take kindly to that.

observer
Favorite Magician: Harry Kellar - Charlie Miller - Paul Rosini - Jay Marshall

Postby observer » August 24th, 2015, 9:07 pm

Bob Cassidy posts quite a lot on the Cafe. So do Harry Lorayne and Pete Biro. There are other useful posters there.

I read (or "lurk on" as they ugh say) this forum and that one (just as I subscribe to both Genii and Magic). Half an hour or so, at the end of the day. That keeps me apprised of developments, even if they are sometimes developments I object to.

Why not?

performer

Postby performer » August 24th, 2015, 9:26 pm

Bob Cassidy told me that he was particularly hurt because he regarded Richard as a friend. He was surprised that the negative comments were allowed.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 24th, 2015, 10:24 pm

Mark, I recall meeting Bob Cassidy only once in New Jersey many years ago. I frequently used to go to lectures in New Jersey when I lived in New York. But I really don't know Bob Cassidy at all. Perhaps we were both at a dinner with several other people, but I can't remember stuff like from 30 years ago.

performer

Postby performer » August 24th, 2015, 10:28 pm

I can only tell you what he said to me. If you like I can try and get him back here.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 24th, 2015, 10:46 pm

No, it's fine. I can understand why he would stay away after the criticism.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 25th, 2015, 12:49 am

observer wrote:Bob Cassidy posts quite a lot on the Cafe. So do Harry Lorayne and Pete Biro. There are other useful posters there.

Pete used to post here a lot. I've often wondered why he stopped; his posts were always worth reading.

Dougini

Postby Dougini » August 26th, 2015, 9:42 pm

Bob Cassidy gave me his private email! I am SO glad for that! I'm in touch with him now.

I'm in touch now with a number of my friends in the Cafe! Marion Boykin is especially important. He is one of my BEST friends in Magic, EVER! That man is a SAINT! And a coin wizard extraordinaire!

I'm going to try and get as many as I can to join Genii. Tim Fehrer, Richard Osterlind, and others. Who needs the Cafe, except children and hobbyists? LOL! ;)

Doug

performer

Postby performer » August 26th, 2015, 9:50 pm

Tell Bob I am over here annoying everyone and he will probably visit. And inform him that I don't care if he is drunk or sober as long as he doesn't say rude words on stage.

And furthermore inform him that I will reprimand anyone who says rude things about his Penguin lecture.

That should bring him over.

Dougini

Postby Dougini » August 26th, 2015, 9:59 pm

performer wrote:...inform him that I don't care if he is drunk or sober...

Nope. Not gonna even go there. That would not be good...

And furthermore inform him that I will reprimand anyone who says rude things about his Penguin lecture.

No one should say rude things about anyone. Least of all Bob Cassidy. One of the most generous, kind and thoughtful people I have ever known. And you want a good Penguin Lecture? Look for Bob's "Billet Killers". Best $20 I have spent in a LONG time!

Doug

performer

Postby performer » August 26th, 2015, 10:07 pm

I am afraid they said some terrible things about him. At least some did. I thought it was awful when I read it. Mind you, he had plenty defenders. Here it is:

viewtopic.php?t=45428

Still, tell him I am here talking about him. It might just bring him over.

Dougini

Postby Dougini » August 27th, 2015, 11:00 pm

I got a PM that disturbs me. Accusing me of ulterior motives. I do not take sides in hateful bickering. I did not come here to stir things up, contrary to that PM. To the person that PMed me, I do not KNOW you. Neither do I know the person you seem to have a vendetta against.

This feud existed before I got here. What I do NOT understand is the hate! The vile slinging of ~CENSORED~. Among magicians! Why??? If I don't like someone, I ignore them! Damn. I gotta be careful about being too friendly. Lest I appear biased...

Doug

performer

Postby performer » August 27th, 2015, 11:52 pm

I am getting a psychic vibe about who you are talking about. Look at it this way. It takes him a little time to compose his message. After all he has to think about it and write it. Shall we say two to three minutes? In some cases he has to fiddle around getting another email address because the people he sends his messages to put him on a blocked senders list. That probably takes him another 5 minutes or so. I don't think you have quite acheived that status with him yet so he will probably use his regular email with you.

So we will say it takes him around two or three minutes to send you his message and around 8 minutes or so to send someone more challenging the same kind of message. So it amounts to quite a few minutes whichever way it goes.

Do you know how long it takes you to delete his message and not care about it any more? ONE SECOND! The odds are well in your favour.

However, if the message is particularly abusive and is a private message on the Genii Forum then all you have to do is send it to Richard. He won't deal with it if it is not using his private message system but I think he WILL deal with it if it is. But only if it is very abusive. And if it is who I think it is then it WILL become very abusive in time.

I expect you will hear from him again. But just remember the one second rule I explained. You will feel better if you do that.

Dougini

Postby Dougini » August 28th, 2015, 5:36 pm

Good point, Mark! Thanks! It goes on at The Cafe, too. Thing is, they have a "Report this post" button. I have rarely had to use that.

Doug

Michael Pascoe

Postby Michael Pascoe » January 7th, 2021, 3:45 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:The peckerhead moderators over at the Magic Cafe have banned me for writing the truth. I join a distinguished club.

Me too Richard. I have no idea why. Steve does not return my emails and treats me like I am invisible.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 7th, 2021, 4:06 pm

When one of posters at MC suggested that people not buy my trick, the Bammo Card Walloper, but rather get a copy of the instructions and DIY. I responded by pointing out that the poster (whose picture was attached) had a DIY haircut and DIY was not always the best way to go. They deleted my post since it was deemed insulting. So insults bad, advice to steal good.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 7th, 2021, 4:35 pm

I have been told people have tried to leave positive reviews for my lectures but they are apparently deleted by moderators.

Robert77

Postby Robert77 » January 12th, 2021, 5:53 pm

mrgoat wrote:The above two posts show the need for a LIKE button here!

This post made me reach for the Like button, but then...DOH!

Al Schneider

Postby Al Schneider » September 30th, 2021, 4:32 am

Looks like I have lots of company.
I do not know how to get to anyone at MC.
I want to contact them but can't figure out how.
Can some one help me?
Or, send them a message.
Since I am banned forever, perhaps they could delete all of my posts.
That only seems fair if I am such an objectional person.
I think they could delete them easily as they seem very efficient at it.
The single absolute truth is that we don't know.

Return to “Buzz”