Undercover Cube & China Surprise questions

Post topics about the clever and unique creations the from Japanese magic company.

Moderator: Richard Kaufman

Mr Hurley

Undercover Cube & China Surprise questions

Postby Mr Hurley » August 20th, 2015, 7:13 pm

I've almost compiled the necessary Tenyo to construct two shows for a Children's hospital in Dallas. For one of the shows, I'm only missing 'China Surprise' (dead serious) and 'Undercover Cube'. I want to make sure I'm not wasting money on something that I can't use for a show.

In short, CAN 'Undercover Cube' be performed WITHOUT a cup? Can it be performed with nothing more than the props it comes with and a handkerchief?

And, China Surprise; everyone's favorite.

The videos show that it's done with a tissue. Can it be done with a white silk handkerchief? Only reason is that, in the show I'm planning, I pass out a silk hankerchief to 6 children, and all of them help me in performing one Tenyo each. It would be weird if i passed out 5 hankys and a box of Kleenex.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Undercover Cube & China Surprise questions

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 20th, 2015, 7:54 pm

China Surprise will only work with a tissue--the whole point is that when you stuff the tissue into your fist, the edges which peak out look like a dumpling.

As far as Undercover Cube, the cup is important for misdirection. It is also the place where one of the props is hiding. In short, unless you are very good at sleight of hand, you need the cup.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Mr Hurley

Postby Mr Hurley » August 22nd, 2015, 1:16 am

Well, that stinks about China Surprise.

As for 'Cube. As long as it's possible to work without the cup, it's worth working towards

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » August 22nd, 2015, 1:40 am

I think the cup really sells the effect and makes it more impossible. It appears to the spectator / audience that the cube - that the spectator has handled without the magician's interference - has penetrated the cup, and not just vanished.

So it's a matter of what effect you're aiming for.
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

Mr Hurley

Postby Mr Hurley » August 22nd, 2015, 3:22 pm

Well, it looks like I need to hunt one of these 'Cubes down and see what I can do with it.

And I thought I was doing all right not getting any Tenyo this month.

Return to “Tenyo”