Jack Hughes World of Magic

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Steve Mills

Jack Hughes World of Magic

Postby Steve Mills » September 2nd, 2003, 9:58 am

My book collection is rather small, but I always try to keep "sets" complete. Anyway, I have Volume 1 of Jack Hughes World of Magic, which I bought back in the stone age. Hunting on the net, I see there is a volume 3, but I never could find information about a "set".

Does anyone know how many volumes were issued and whether it is expensive to complete the set?

Thanks for any input.

Later.....
Steve

Bo Jonsson

Re: Jack Hughes World of Magic

Postby Bo Jonsson » September 2nd, 2003, 10:53 am

Jack Huges world of magic volume 1 was published 1981. Volume 2 was published 1992 and volume 1999.About a year ago Viking had both volume 2 and 3 for sale.

Postby Guest » September 2nd, 2003, 11:11 am

I paid $450 for my set, click here to see them.

They are getting harder and harder to find, but Vol. 1 is the hardest to find, so you might find it easier to get the other two.

In fact it looks like Denny has Vol. 3 for $95: click here.

Mitch Solway

Postby Mitch Solway » September 2nd, 2003, 2:41 pm

Finding the set is quite difficult as Vol #1 and #2 are long out of print so nobody will be selling them new as a set. Every once and a while a set will appear on ebay...but very rarely and it will fetch a nice price..Andy paid $450 but I have seen a set go for $550.

I got mine for about $260 U.S. but I was a lucky bugger! Plus my Vol #1 was signed by Jack...he signed only about 10 before he passed away...I think Andy has a signed #1 if I recall as well...what a small world! #2 and #3 are signed by Derek Lever (the author, publisher).

Anyway, I find #2 the hardest to come by. I have two Vol#1's and am looking to see if I can accumulate a second complete set.

Mitch

Matt R

Postby Matt R » September 2nd, 2003, 8:37 pm

Vol. 3 was also issued with a separate comb bound index (very handy)....

Jinx

Postby Jinx » September 10th, 2003, 1:47 am

Hi,
Derek Lever (the author of these) still has a few of Volume 3 for sale, well he did last month.
Try him deriko@skynow.net .
It was about 55.00 GBP.
Regards
Chris
"There's a lot of good magic in that book, to bad you have to have skill to do most of it".

mehtas

Postby mehtas » June 29th, 2015, 4:30 pm

Sorry to bring this old topic up.

Price of a full set seems a lot less now than year 2003.

I've just acquired a signed first volume and I was just wondering what it would be worth in todays money ??

Many years ago (2001 2002 I think) I foolishly sold a full set for £20 (pounds). I've been regretting than since. few years back I decided to get the set back and I was lucky enough to get them lot less than some of the posts above. in that process I got some dupes as well and few days back I got a signed copy :).

lybrary

Postby lybrary » June 29th, 2015, 7:58 pm

There is also a partial compilation of these three volumes (roughly about half the contents is included) which you can purchase for example here

http://www.martinbreese.com/bookpages/hughes.htm

http://www.lybrary.com/jack-hughes-worl ... 71871.html
Lybrary.com Magic & Gambling
preserving magic one book at a time

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”