M-U-M to be reduced to 10 issues each year.

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Andrew Pinard

M-U-M to be reduced to 10 issues each year.

Postby Andrew Pinard » June 3rd, 2015, 11:18 pm

I thought this was newsworthy (at least to members of the S.A.M. and interested parties):

According to the minutes of the March national meeting, S.A.M. members will be getting two less issues every year of M-U-M beginning in July 2015. I guess two of the ten issues are going to be "double issues" (whatever that means)...

Here is the relevant text from the minutes:

"Society Business (Items from caucus):

"1. M-U-M to publish 10 times a year.

"Motion: PNP John Apperson moved that the S.A.M. produce 10 issues of M-U-M per year in place of the current 12 issues per year, starting with a double issue in July 2015 and a 2nd double issue in December 2015. Discussion: none. Vote: Passed unanimously."

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet in the editor's column....

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Re: M-U-M to be reduced to 10 issues each year.

Postby Ted M » June 3rd, 2015, 11:36 pm

As with any decision, the reasoning behind it would be interesting...

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 3rd, 2015, 11:52 pm

Michael Close discussed this decision in the May, 2015 and June, 2015 Editor's Desk columns in MUM.

In the June column, he noted also that he will be discussing the combined issues and other magazine matters at the national council meeting. He encouraged anyone with questions to be sure to see him before, during, or after that meeting.

Fredrick
Favorite Magician: Eugene Burger

Postby Fredrick » June 3rd, 2015, 11:58 pm

Its most likely an issue of cost control. SAM as well as many social organizations are struggling. Membership is aging. Younger people do not seem interested in club meetings. It would not be unexpected that at some point in the future clubs like IBM, SAM, Eagles, Elks, and others will vanish.
"Try to find the humanity in the magic..." ~ Michael Moschen
The Jinx Companion

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » June 4th, 2015, 4:01 am

Earlier this year the IBM British Ring magazine, 'The Budget" announced it was going from monthly to bi-monthly. The editor for the last twenty years decided to stand down. In the meantime another offered his services as editor and to do it for free, so it has gone back to monthly under the new name of The Key Ring.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » June 4th, 2015, 5:36 am

The British Ring is an odd bird. For your membership, which for a time was independent of the IBM (it is a ring after all) you get The Budget (or whatever it's noiw called) and reduced subscription fee to the British Ring Convention. I joined when I moved over here to the UK, sponsored by Ali Bongo and Ron MacMillan.

There are no meetings, or anything else. I found The Budget superfluous to my needs, and the Ring Convention to be a sad affair, a bunch of old guys getting together and about a dozen dealers not doing any business.

I asked Pat Page, who had once been kicked out of the Ring for exposure (for writing "The Big Book of Magic") but then readmitted, how bad it would be if the editor of The Magic Circle's "Magic Cicular" resigned and he said to go ahead and do it if I wanted to, so I did. I remained a member of the main IBM, which I have been for almsot 30 years (and the SAM as well).

I attended one further convention, another sorry affair (in my opinion).

I wish them well with Geoffrey Newton as their new editor.

Also, it should be noted that M-U-M editor Mike Close has said that the two combined issues of the magazine will be expanded versions, with additional content (omitted assembly reports, etc.) available on line. More from Mike, should he choose to post here.

Matt Field

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » June 5th, 2015, 10:16 am

Pity you never got round to attending the British Ring Conventions in the 1980s. There was still a brigade of “old guys” (they get everywhere don’t they) but they didn’t get underfoot.

There were usually about 50/60 dealers and it was a worthy endeavour. Not perfect—what is—but, numbers-wise, it was every bit the equal of Blackpool back then.

It began to decline in the early 90s and is indeed a sad affair these days. And so is the society. I was a member for over 30 years, but opted *about* nearly 10 years ago. I haven’t been to a convention for ages, but I know people who have and they’re not impressed.

Regarding The Budget, well the name always was a mystery, why it was chosen, that is; not its origins. Key Ring is nifty enough, but after all this time, why bother? That’s not going to restore the society or improve the magazine.

As for the editor standing down, well, as I say, I’m not a member anymore, but I do know it wasn’t that straightforward.

*Should read "out". Sigh.............
Last edited by Leo Garet on June 6th, 2015, 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » June 6th, 2015, 6:50 am

I have been reliably informed that I erred in stating that the new editor of the British Ring magazine is doing that work for free.

Return to “Buzz”