Top 5 Tenyo

Post topics about the clever and unique creations the from Japanese magic company.

Moderator: Richard Kaufman

Mr Hurley

Top 5 Tenyo

Postby Mr Hurley » February 23rd, 2015, 2:35 pm

I know we all have Tenyo that is in our crosshairs. What are the top 5 that everyone is trying to track down?

1. Big Mac Cubio
2. Magicians Clock
3. Mind Roulette
4. Disney Soft Coins
5. Crystal Box

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Top 5 Tenyo

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 23rd, 2015, 4:09 pm

Mr. Hurley, most of your "wants" are pretty easy to find except for "Magician's Clock," especially the Tokyo Disneyland Soft Coins. Magico-Japan on eBay will sell you that.

Do you already own "Prediction Egg"?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » February 23rd, 2015, 4:22 pm

I would like to own a Big Mac Cubio. I collect Cubios and need that one to improve both my Tenyo collection and Cubio collection.

Mr Hurley

Postby Mr Hurley » February 23rd, 2015, 6:07 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Mr. Hurley, most of your "wants" are pretty easy to find except for "Magician's Clock," especially the Tokyo Disneyland Soft Coins. Magico-Japan on eBay will sell you that.

Do you already own "Prediction Egg"?

I've only seen what I'm looking for once--if that, on Ebay. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. I just haven't seen the Disney Soft Coins. Even looking through Magico-Japan's sell list.
I'll gave to give them a message then!

I do not have Prediction Egg, unfortunately. All I have is: Burglar Ball, Clean Cut, Magical Sneakers, and Magical Burger. Soon to have the Disney Pendant for my daughter. And I'm going to exponentially expand my collection within the next month or two. All of it easy to find stuff, but all of it will be used for performances.

Also, if I may ask, what makes Magician's Clock so hard to acquire?

I.M. Magician wrote:I would like to own a Big Mac Cubio. I collect Cubios and need that one to improve both my Tenyo collection and Cubio collection.

Ah man! There was one that went up on Ebay recently and got snatched up 2 weeks after it got posted. I figured someone on here would have grabbed it. Went for $100 plus shipping. All 3 of the McDonalds tricks went for $100 each and I believe someone got all 3 as all 3 auctions dropped off my radar at the same time.

I'm trying to get the Big Mac Cubio it for performance purposes since it's as big as Super Cubio; if I eyeballed the size correctly.

Since we're talking about Cubio's. Is there more than just the Tenyo Cubio's?

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » February 23rd, 2015, 6:26 pm

Indeed there is! There is the one Brema made, the Kanter one made for them by Brema, the one made in Germany in the sixties, and the one currently made in India. All of those are brass.

There are at least three larger size Cubios made of wood. That's all I can think of right now. If I remember more, I will post them here.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » February 23rd, 2015, 6:34 pm

Oh, and the one made by Royal Magic I believe in the fifties. That one was either plastic or ivory and looked like a die with a color spot on each side instead of the usual spots.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 23rd, 2015, 7:07 pm

Royal Magic would never have made a prop in ivory.

"Magician's Clock" is difficult to find because it was not sold. It was a giveaway--a "Plus One" trick that you could only get for a limited period of time by sending in coupons clipped from three of the regular Tenyo releases that year. "Prediction Egg" is equally hard (if not harder) to find for the same reason.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » February 23rd, 2015, 7:26 pm

It looks like Royal Magic released a Cubio in a white box dated 1945 and another one later on in a purple box which was probably from the fifties.

The cube looks like an old yellowed ivory die which is why I thought it could have been made of ivory. Plastic does make more sense I suppose.

The good thing about the old brass Cubios is the heavy weight. They slide nicely up and down the string. They could wear out after much use. I know this because I wore out one of the Kanter's Cubios many years ago. It began to fail when I wanted it to stop and would slide instead. I drilled into it to see it's inner workings. I couldn't resist!

By the way, the Kanter's Cubio was called the Triple Mystery Cube. It would stop on command, spots would change color, and it was a Lie Detector.

Mr Hurley

Postby Mr Hurley » February 23rd, 2015, 7:43 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:"Magician's Clock" is difficult to find because it was not sold. It was a giveaway--a "Plus One" trick that you could only get for a limited period of time by sending in coupons clipped from three of the regular Tenyo releases that year. "Prediction Egg" is equally hard (if not harder) to find for the same reason.

I mean, Magical Sneakers and Magical Burger go for $20 each. And Stereo has Mind Roulette at $80.

I didn't know if there was a reason beyond the +1/redemption process that makes "Magician's Clock" a tough one to find. Or what drives the up the prices in some years redemption tricks as opposed to others.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 23rd, 2015, 7:52 pm

Some of the "Plus One" items were later released for regular sales, like "Magical Sneakers," "Magical Hamburger," "Sakkaku Scale," "Magician's Calendar." These are all cheap and easily found now.

Mr Hurley

Postby Mr Hurley » February 23rd, 2015, 7:55 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Some of the "Plus One" items were later released for regular sales, like "Magical Sneakers," "Magical Hamburger," "Sakkaku Scale," "Magician's Calendar." These are all cheap and easily found now.

All right, that makes a lot more sense

ecw

Postby ecw » February 23rd, 2015, 8:36 pm

Do you happen to know if Tenyo will be re-releasing one of the specials this year? Lately they seem to be releasing one again every year or so.
I am missing four of them including Prediction Egg. Hoping they'll re-release that one next.

I don't have the Burger Cubio but I do have Tenyo's Disney Cubio which is also kinda cute.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 23rd, 2015, 9:16 pm

No idea if they'll rerelease another old "Plus One" item this year. If they do, I hope it will be "Mind Roulette," which is absolutely brilliant. It would seem unlikely that it would be "Prediction Egg."

Elly, what is the Disney "Cubio"? I don't recall it offhand.

Mr Hurley

Postby Mr Hurley » February 23rd, 2015, 9:18 pm

The Disney Cubio is Winnie the Pooh on a balloon.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 23rd, 2015, 9:30 pm

Is it an actual Cubio or an effect where Pooh rises and falls inside a clear plastic tube? If so, that's not a Cubio.

ecw

Postby ecw » February 23rd, 2015, 11:04 pm

No, it's a Cubio. I happened to come across it recently and was somewhat surprised as I hadn't seen it before. I do think it would go nicely with the Floating Pooh-in-a-Tube.

Can't seem to upload an attachment here so I'll email you a pic of what I am referring to.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 23rd, 2015, 11:07 pm

Eager to see it!

Mr Hurley

Postby Mr Hurley » February 24th, 2015, 4:00 pm

ecw wrote:No, it's a Cubio. I happened to come across it recently and was somewhat surprised as I hadn't seen it before. I do think it would go nicely with the Floating Pooh-in-a-Tube.

Can't seem to upload an attachment here so I'll email you a pic of what I am referring to.

I saw a picture of it in the Funstuffonly forums. It looks a bit taller than Super Cubio and would work great for a children's routine with all the other Disney Tenyo out there.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 24th, 2015, 5:11 pm

It's in the Japanese Tenyo catalogue somewhere between 2000 and 2003 (I've been informed).

Return to “Tenyo”