Eric Mead performing Conover's "Cylinder & Coins"

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Eric Mead performing Conover's "Cylinder & Coins"

Postby NCMarsh » September 4th, 2014, 1:49 am

Many of you likely saw this via social media -- Eric Mead today shared home footage of him performing Tim Conover's handling and routine for the "Cylinder & Coins." I'm passing it along here in case you missed it, as it is 3.5 minutes that -- to my mind -- is well worth viewing for any magician.

For me this is magic that hits on almost every level magic can hit on. The technique is superb, the construction and design of the deception bullet-proof, and the performer charismatic and engaging. I'll have some of the reasons I found this helpful after the footage. Here's Eric:

A few personal takeaways (none of these are in any way revolutionary and they are things we've all read or heard about -- but that's the point...this is a specific, concrete example of how the thoughtful, specific, and smart application of "theory" makes for an insanely strong piece of magic):

• The conversational feel and natural unity of word and action -- especially in the initial display:
    often, when I see a performer doing a cups and balls or cylinder and coin type routine where he must accomplish manipulation while displaying the props, you get the feeling that he is going through a specific, rehearsed, series of choreographed actions. As Eric displays the props, while he does have to do it in a specific sequence -- it feels like he is just talking to you and showing the prop in a way that emphasizes whatever aspect of it he is talking about, and that seems to have just occurred to him. This is powerful on two different levels: 1. it connects us to Eric as a real human being and makes us feel like tonight's performance is a real happening, he isn't just hitting "play" on the internal tape recorder, 2. on a magic level: it deeply sets the assumption that the trick doesn't start until he picks up the coins...powerful when the climax is already in place
  • In the new edition of The Magic Way, Tamariz talks about how a misconception of the Theory of False Solutions is that you have to verbally set-up and cancel the solutions as part of a long(er) presentation. Here is a great example of a performer setting up, and eliminating a series of false solutions through nothing more than gestures. Watching, I -- at least -- get the sense of how a spectator cancels all possible solutions, then grabs onto one that could be viable, sees that it cannot be, then thinks "Ah, f*ck it...there's no way...I'm going to just relax and enjoy it" and climbs onto the magic rainbow. It's a concrete case of how a performer communicates all of this and engages the guest in a line of thinking s/he thinks is her own and thinks the performer is unaware of...and how it can all be done non-verbally....
    One of my favorite, specific examples of this is around 1:25, he has vanished the first coin...the wand is in the right hand...he is talking about the cylinder and transfers the wand to the left hand so the right hand can gesture toward it...the right hand stays curved for just a fraction of a second too long, as if maybe -- even though it looked empty earlier -- maybe, somehow he is hiding the coin in his hand...it's not too broad, we don't think he is aware of our suspicion, and then as part of the conversation he gestures towards the cylinder with an empty hand...we were wrong, the damn coin really is gone...but we are completely unaware that Eric was trying to prove anything...and we "realize" that "that's just how he holds his hands" -- which powerfully sets us up for the magic to follow to be utterly inexplicable
  • Uniformity of action: every time he picks up that wand, whether something is hiding in it or not, the hand is held in the same natural curvature it needs to be in for the Ramsay subtlety...again, not earth-shattering, but see the impact it has on the overall deception and see how many other YouTube videos of cylinder and coins feature the same discipline
  • Clarity: the use of the coaster to create focus and visually isolate the cylinder (I'm assuming this is one of Tim Conover's many touches?) is beautiful
  • The vanish of the third coin (1:50ish) is fascinating. It's the sort of thing that walks a tight line in order to be deceptive. If it is too broad -- if we are aware that he thinks we suspect he slipped the coin from one hand to the other to make it penetrate -- then the effect is garbage. If it is too subtle and we aren't aware that he supposedly moved the coin "secretly" then there is no effect. It is a razor edge between impossible vanish and crap. I honestly don't know a lot of performers (I include myself) who could make that register as a compelling magic effect. Mead does.

Obviously, a huge piece of the puzzle is that Eric has done (at least!) 10,000 hours performing for real people.

Bravo to John Ramsay, Tim Conover, and Eric Mead. What would magic be like -- and how would magicians be perceived -- if every piece of magic was thought out and polished to a 10th of the level that this piece has been?

Best,

Nathan

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Re: Eric Mead performing Conover's "Cylinder & Coins"

Postby Q. Kumber » September 4th, 2014, 5:48 am

Up until three years ago, every magician I saw do the Ramsay Cylinder and Coins, made it look like they were performing for an exam and expecting high marks for technical excellence.

Then I saw David Gabbay at the TAOM in San Antonio. His presentation was the first that I found entertaining.

Now Eric's presentation of Tim's handling is simply beautiful to watch and very magical.

I believe that John Ramsay would be impressed.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » September 4th, 2014, 6:27 am

Most of Nathan's "takeaways" make up just some of the reasons why Mr. Mead is, in my opinion, among the top five best magicians working today.

Brad Ball
Favorite Magician: Cardini, Cardini, Cardini

Postby Brad Ball » September 4th, 2014, 2:18 pm

The YouTube video is coming up as private, is there a pass code or has this been taken down already?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 4th, 2014, 2:43 pm

it was not private earlier today
I was going to ask if Andy Galloway wanted to offer any insights
sigh
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 4th, 2014, 5:53 pm

Darn! Doesn't look like the video is coming back anytime soon:

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » September 4th, 2014, 6:41 pm

Like a Tibetan Mandala or life itself, some things are beautiful -- in part -- because they aren't around forever...

That said, Eric did this routine at the Genii Convention (where it was a personal highlight) -- perhaps as the book comes closer to completion there will be other opportunities (I've gotten better at holding in my advance enthusiasm for books over the years...but damn if this isn't going on my visa bill as soon as it becomes available)

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » September 4th, 2014, 7:23 pm

Eric Mead also performed this routine during the 2012 Essential Magic Conference.

It's on disc 5.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 4th, 2014, 8:10 pm

NCMarsh wrote:Like a Tibetan Mandala or life itself, some things are beautiful -- in part -- because they aren't around forever...

That said, Eric did this routine at the Genii Convention (where it was a personal highlight) -- perhaps as the book comes closer to completion there will be other opportunities (I've gotten better at holding in my advance enthusiasm for books over the years...but damn if this isn't going on my visa bill as soon as it becomes available)

You got that right, brother! (I'm hoping the book will contain Mr. Conover's Memdeck work.)

Also, Ted thanks for the reminder!

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » September 4th, 2014, 8:55 pm

Didn't he do this in a Ted Talk maybe a year or two ago?

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » September 4th, 2014, 9:08 pm

Steve Hook wrote:Didn't he do this in a Ted Talk maybe a year or two ago?

You may be thinking of his 2011 performance at the EG conference (which has similarities to TED).

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » September 5th, 2014, 1:07 am

Eric Mead is so consistently excellent in every regard that it doesn't matter what magic effect he's chosen to present, it's him as an artist you feel compelled to watch.
(that he's an unusually excellent public speaker certainly reinforces this).

Here's another very simple effect from that same EG conference as Bill linked to ... elevated to artistic excellence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGXm_xHy3CI

...and his TED talk on "The Placebo Effect" in which he demonstrates how one can perform the old and well trodden Needle Through Arm effect minus the kicker ending ... and actually make it a better trick in the process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb_6PPBJJB8

5stringharp
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris, John Mendoza, Eric Mead

Postby 5stringharp » September 12th, 2014, 3:41 pm

What effect is this that Mr. Mead performs?

Here's another very simple effect from that same EG conference as Bill linked to ... elevated to artistic excellence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGXm_xHy3CI

Thank you.

Harp

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 12th, 2014, 3:43 pm

It's the Sympathetic Cards.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

5stringharp
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris, John Mendoza, Eric Mead