Dai Vernon’s Revelations – 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition Box Set

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Jim Riser

Re: Dai Vernon’s Revelations – 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition Box Set

Postby Jim Riser » December 24th, 2011, 2:09 pm

Brad,
Why do people feel a need to bitch about it here rather than contacting the seller directly with their concerns? Why not just buy the complete new issue and throw away the "repeats"? If the price for just the new items is reasonable, just get it and be done with it. Why not just tell the seller to keep the "repeats" and send only the new material? That way no one would feel forced to buy what they already have. After all, the price has been deemed reasonable.

Yes, people buy exact duplicates of several items that I make and no I do not force them to buy anything.

As a matter of fact, I constantly work to see that duplicates of my items do not have to be bought. I am currently working on a set of items which can be bought piecemeal as desired by the client. Some do not want all of the bells and whistles and others do. I do not want people to waste money on unnecessary extras when buying my items. This is due to my frugal upbringing. But I will not just sell to anyone with the bucks. This really gets to the cafe crowd. I do not care. They can always make their own items. I'm retired and make magic for my own enjoyment. I can set my own rules and choose who gets to buy my items.

The point being that my marketing and the seller's marketing are different. It you want the items, you play by the seller's rules or do without. You can not please everyone all of the time and trying to do so is a fool's mission as it can not be done.

I still do not know why folks come complaining on forums without contacting sellers directly.

BTW .. Goat, it is editing not censoring on forums.
Jim

pixsmith

Postby pixsmith » December 24th, 2011, 4:58 pm

i think that the point of this discussion is a broader one, and it does relate to Richard's comment about understanding customer psychology.

I am a fan of hearing the thinking and the reasoning behind lots of things -- including magic, purchasing decisions, and even marketing choices. I'd have a tough time contacting every poster here individually to find out what they think, so I, for one, welcome the discussion.

it is as germane to me as any explanation on Jim's part of his thoughts on/about selling magic. i now know something about the way he views selling things, how he views his customers, and how he makes some of his decisions. in this instance, I may see that I agree with him in many ways, and that would lead me to more seriously consider his products for future purchase. Hearing what someone thinks of those decisions he makes would be just more information for me as a consumer, and it provides a different perspective.

it is the seller's ultimate decision, after all, but some random future sellers may see this discussion, and the effect that these particular product decisions have on goodwill or perception, and make a more iinformed decision based on it.

We all have the ability to read or skip a post as soon as we find out whether or not its relevant to us...for any who may still be reading.

luigimar

Postby luigimar » December 24th, 2011, 5:18 pm

Let's direct all this energy towards Richard's Father and his well being instead of discussing things that will take us nowhere.

Richard Kaufman: May your father and all your family be well this season and next year (forever may be hard to achieve, but who knows!!).

Same wish for everyone else.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!
luigimar

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 24th, 2011, 10:52 pm

Thank you.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Joe S.

Postby Joe S. » January 2nd, 2012, 12:13 pm

I pre-ordered the Revelations box set from L&L and look forward to getting it.

In the promotional material at their website, I noticed that the video of the October 9, 1976 Vernon lecture held at the Magic Castle only includes material presented in the first part of the presentation. The card material presented by Vernon in Part 2 is excluded. I believe I understand why: Evidently the Professor was inebriated. I was present at that lecture, and recall that someone (Bill Larsen?) provided Vernon with a beverage or two, perhaps to "loosen him up". Part 2 ended after about 10 minutes. One adjective that comes to mind regarding that portion of the lecture is "hilarious". (I'm confident that others will have their own descriptors.) I have an audio recording of the entire lecture, which I made that day for my personal use.

Joe S.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 5th, 2012, 7:56 pm

Just got the email today: Shipped!

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » January 6th, 2012, 11:27 am

The Magic Apple will be getting these any day now if anyone is interested
TheMagicApple.com
818-508-9921
Follow us: @The_Magic_Apple

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » January 6th, 2012, 6:53 pm

My e-mail just arrived. My set is sipping today. I have the revelation series on VHS (which I converted over to MP4 for my iPad), so I am especially looking forward to the new lectures!

Terry

Postby Terry » January 7th, 2012, 2:20 pm

Set arrived here in Frankfort this morning.

DrDanny

Postby DrDanny » January 7th, 2012, 6:58 pm

Got the package today in SF Bay area.

Philippe Noël

Postby Philippe Noël » January 8th, 2012, 6:23 am

Does someone know why Michael Ammar, Gary Oullet and Steve Freeman were chosen to cohost the Revelations Tapes?
Do you know why a man such as Larry Jennings was not associated to the project?

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 8th, 2012, 10:04 am

Mine showed up yesterday by USPS as well. I will take some time getting to know the set and will hopefully post some impressions later.

I will say that L and L did a nice job of packaging--arrived without a scratch, crush, ding, or dent which is nice!

Terry

Postby Terry » January 8th, 2012, 11:33 am

I watched the 1973 Washington, DC lecture yesterday and it was excellent.

The wisdom that the professor had in regards to performing was very informative.

The Professor's instruction on the wand spin had the best point by point explanation for anyone to learn it.

Jim Patton
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon

Postby Jim Patton » January 8th, 2012, 1:18 pm

Philippe:
I recall that Earl Nelson was originally slated to be among the participants. Why he wound up not going to Newfoundland only Earl would know.......

JP
Last edited by Jim Patton on January 8th, 2012, 1:23 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: sp

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » January 11th, 2012, 3:07 pm

[size:17pt]The set is now IN STOCK at The Magic Apple.
$180.00!!
[/size]
Plus we include 2 decks of Bicycle Playing Cards if you mention Genii

It looks awesome!!
TheMagicApple.com

818-508-9921

Follow us: @The_Magic_Apple

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » January 12th, 2012, 12:55 pm

I received mine a few days ago. The three new DVD's and there four audio CD's are worth the price of admission. The Vernon lectures are everything I hoped for and expected. If you are even slightly interested in the Professor, this set is essential.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 25th, 2012, 9:36 pm

More first impressions:

I have had a GREAT time studying the new material included in this set.

What has struck me early on is how much additional magic philosophy permeates the new lectures. My favorite so far was the 1973 lecture where Vernon vociferously declares "It's doesn't matter what cups you use--you could use tin cups if you wanted to!" and "People always ask me, what kind of wand do I use--doesn't matter--you could use a pencil!"

Further: "Don't act like: 'I'm so smart' and 'you're so dumb' (when performing)" and "Presentation! That's what's important!".

Even better is his energetic trashing of kicker endings. Great stuff!

Another thing that comes out, especially in Volume 1 of the DVD's, is how freely he shared his creations when he relates the story about how Stars of Magic came to be. He seemed so generous in sharing his material and bascially said something to the effect of: "I came up with the stuff, I'm done with it...here it is." He really seemed to enjoy sharing the good stuff with people that might appreciate it.

Finally, he has a line in one of the lectures where he says he likes pretty much everyone in magic (except "3 or 4" people), and that he has found the magic world a very welcoming place.

Now, I didn't know the man, and perhaps in private he was a lot different. However, if these were his true positions, I wish more of us today embodied some of the ideals he expressed on these tapes.

What a great set!

PS: To answer a question someone asked previously: The video and sound on the Revelations DVD's in the 50th Anniversary set are identical to that on the previously issued DVD's.

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » January 26th, 2012, 10:16 am

Thanks for that erdnasephile.

For me, with the build up of the anticipation and smoking a bowl with a magic friend before popping in the first DVD lecture as advised by David Ben, the treat was the first few minutes of the opening. There is at first only audio of Vernon followed by a few minutes of Vernon in a picture-like pose along with the audio. And finally, the picture comes to life as if by magic. That was masterful and memorable. Vernon's energy and commanding voice is classic. No wonder he is so much loved and respected in the magic community. Long live Vernon.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » April 8th, 2014, 11:56 pm

During a recent move, the cardboard slipcase for this DVD set took a hit that tore one side despite efforts to avoid damaging props, books and this that and the other. I tried to order a replacement case from L & L only to be told they don't stock extras.

Nice. $180.00 and you get a cardboard slipcase to hold the DVDs.

erdnasephile

Re: Dai Vernon’s Revelations – 30th Anniversary Deluxe Editi

Postby erdnasephile » April 9th, 2014, 12:21 pm

Sorry to hear about this, Leonard. I'm not a huge fan of the provided slipcase either, but I imagine cost constraints were the culprit.

Hope the rest of your stuff got there unscathed.

(When my library got trashed during the Northridge quake in '94, Mike Caveney was very kind in helping replace some dustjackets).

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » April 9th, 2014, 11:35 pm

Thanks for the kind words Erdnasephile. The only other casualty was a framed drawing that was obliterated. I decided just to keep the remains of the drawing in a large piece of cardboard as a keepsake.

As for the Revelations slipcase, I'm getting a skilled bookbinder/repairman to glue it back together. I might also have a custom slipcase made for me down the road. Since replacing the slipcase is out of the question for L & L, repurchasing this set to replace the slipcase is also out of the question for me.

Return to “Buzz”