Fitzkee 'Trick Brain' inspired brainstorming tool - FREE

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Nathan Allen

Fitzkee 'Trick Brain' inspired brainstorming tool - FREE

Postby Nathan Allen » March 15th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Greetings, folks.

I'm not real sure where to post this (so, mods, feel free to move it or whatnot), but I just wanted to let everyone know about a project I made for the magic community which I'm offering for free. It's my digital adaptation of Dariel Fitzkee's "The Trick Brain" method of creating new and original magic by randomly fusing a basic effect, method, and objects, via totally random selections.

My name is Nathan Allen. I'm a professional comedy-magician, based out of the Midwestern United States. I'm not famous. I'm not a genius. I don't have a million original effects (which is exactly why I began to create this project in the first place).

I'm calling this project "The Trickier Brain," because, ironically enough, I'm not too creative. LOL.

I originally started to create this for my own personal use, to save time in coming up with effect/object/method combinations. I loved Fitzkee's approach to creation, but wanted the process to be faster. As I was creating this, I realized that the magic community as a whole would benefit from having such a tool, available at their fingertips. This is in no way a substitute for "The Trick Brain" - rather, it's intended to be a tool for those who already own "The Trick Brain." If you do not have it, buy it (please support your favorite magic dealers and/or advertisers in the online forums and publications you enjoy - ahem ahem Genii cough cough). If you own it but have not read it, read it. If you haven't read it lately, read it again.

If you haven't experienced it yet, you're going to LOVE the sense of accomplishment and pride that comes with YOUR OWN CREATION receiving a burst of applause from an appreciative audience. You will get some serious use out of this project.

On the other hand, if you HAVE created your own effects before, you know how much hard-work is involved - and you know how valuable it is to have that flash of inspiration, when you see something from a different perspective, and something just... "clicks." You, too, will get some serious use out of this project.

This is NOT pretty or flashy. I'm (obviously) not an app-developer or fancy web-designer, so it's very basic in appearance and operation (in its current form, it works best on a computer - I've tested it on an Android tablet and Android smartphone, and although it pretty much works, there are a couple little glitches). Despite its dull appearance (and several typos I've just noticed), it is WILDLY USEFUL in getting your magical-creative-juices flowin'.

This is not exactly intended for beginners. This is for performers who have the experience and know-how to understand shorthand and cryptic references to magic principles. This is intended for performers who have a desire - a NEED - to create original material.

As many of you know, there will be a lot of bumps along your creative journey. It's a numbers game. Some stuff will just end up being not-quite-workable. And that's okay. Stick to this less-traveled-path, because occasionally, you're gonna hit a goldmine; a combination of an effect/method/object that you would have never thought of otherwise. And that moment will be priceless to you. It could end up being something you use in your act for 30 years. It could end up being something you're able to teach to others. It could make you thousands of dollars. It could turn you into a legend in future magic texts. You never know.

This is NOT the be-all, end-all of the creative process. This is simply a jumping-off point. It's a way to get your brain movin', to get you to think outside the box, about different ways, different things, different combinations... to open up your mind and step outside of your creative comfort zone.

This is NOT the only way to create. Different brainstorming techniques have different results with different people. I've personally seen great first-hand results with 'The Trick Brain' method. But it's not for everyone. It might not be for you. You might hate it. Then again, you might love it.

Only one way to find out: Give it a shot.

You can download it for free, here (it's just a single HTML page, which I saved in my Dropbox account):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qljdws1bgxcccc8/The%20Trickier%20Brain%20-%20Brainstorming%20Tool%20For%20Magicians%20-%20Ver%201.0.html

Because this project is so heavily based on Fitzkee's idea, I'm *not* selling this. I'm openly offering this for free. However, if you appreciate what I've done to simplify and expedite this creative process, you can show your appreciation by kickin' me a little somethin'-somethin' via PayPal (any amount you want - there's a PayPal link inside the project).

I know I can't count on everyone who downloads this to thank me monetarily, and I'm okay with that. At the very least, I'd love to see a whole bunch of new and original magic out there, in this brother-and-sister-hood that I love so much.

And hate.

But mostly love.

Get it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qljdws1bgxcccc8/The%20Trickier%20Brain%20-%20Brainstorming%20Tool%20For%20Magicians%20-%20Ver%201.0.html

Oh, and - if you like it - feel free to pass it on to other magicians, too.

All the best,

Nathan Allen
http://ManiacOfMagic.com
Ames, Iowa, USA

Nathan Allen

Re: Fitzkee 'Trick Brain' inspired brainstorming tool - FREE

Postby Nathan Allen » March 17th, 2014, 10:15 am

Exciting news! As we speak, a professional computer programmer is revamping the tool, and we'll have Version 2.0 very soon! He's cleaning up the code, using a lot of Javascript (i.e. stuff I don't really understand) and making it a MUCH faster process - instead of shuffling cards and clicking your card for each separate step... ONE CLICK of a random generator button will bring up (A) your EFFECT (B) your METHOD, and (C) your PROP(s) all AT THE SAME TIME!!!

You WILL WANT this new version! I was just playing with a temporary demo version, and it's sooooooooo slick!
-Nathan Allen
www.maniacofmagic.com

fabricemagic
Favorite Magician: G.Jarrett

Re: Fitzkee 'Trick Brain' inspired brainstorming tool - FREE

Postby fabricemagic » March 19th, 2014, 3:00 pm

Great Nathan..
Anyway when do you think this can be available?

many many thanks,
this is a great tool..

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”