Copentro

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Jonathan Pendragon

Copentro

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » September 30th, 2013, 9:57 am

Crow Garret and I presented the Copentro in the Peller this weekend, followed by a new coin effect I created called "50% Solution." As a kid I loved this effect (Copentro) and was honored by Cathy Daniel who loaned me John's which was owned at one time by the illusionist Dante. I am unfamiliar with the history of this effect and would appreciate any information. I am going to publish "50% Solution" in Genii and would love the backstory.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Re: Copentro

Postby Q. Kumber » September 30th, 2013, 10:30 am

Jack Hughes of England invented a trick called Coins in Glass. It used a gimmicked tray and was a very clever piece of apparatus. He later put out Visible Coins in Glass which is pretty much the same as Copenetro. Later Hughes invented a remote control Visible Coins in Glass.

As to who, Hughes or Kline, came up with the visible idea first, I don't know.

The Hughes version has been a feature of my children's show since 1975, using a patter routine by Eric Sharp.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 30th, 2013, 11:17 am

It appears from my recent research that the effect we know as "Copentro" invented by Bob Kline actually belongs to Jack Hughes, who marketed three different versions of it in England. The Hughes "Coins to Glass" that resembles "Copentro" came out before the tray version in 1946 or so. There was a stink about it when Bob Kline later marketed "Copentro."
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 30th, 2013, 2:16 pm

There's an item in the Downs book using a cone and a glass using a similar mechanism. Where does that fit into the story?

Just looked at Modern Coin Manipulation again, see The Coin of Mercury (page 144 see figures 85-88) for the item. He uses a book as platform for the glass and cover.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 3rd, 2014, 11:00 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:It appears from my recent research that the effect we know as "Copentro" ...belongs to Jack Hughes, who marketed three different versions of it in England. The Hughes "Coins to Glass" that resembles "Copentro" came out before the tray version in 1946 or so....

What is the history of the coin stand part of the trick? I saw a coin stand item in Greater Magic but did not recall any credits for the idea.

Whose item is the coin stand?

Thanks in advance,

-JonT

PS We've seen elaborate billiard shell hiding stands for a while - trying to get the props and credits in order.

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » March 4th, 2014, 2:11 pm

Yesterday I found in January 1927 issue of the Sphinx a trick called "coin shooter".Just like Copentro but it used a book instead of a wood base. I was trying to upload the picture. But having trouble.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 4th, 2014, 3:15 pm

Andrew Martin Portala wrote:Yesterday I found in January 1927 issue of the Sphinx a trick called "coin shooter".Just like Copentro but it used a book instead of a wood base. I was trying to upload the picture. But having trouble.

Thanks, interesting find. Was that a market item? Does it have a name crediting the shooter (that's the appearance side of the trick BTW). Does it look like the item shown in the Downs book using a book and a paper cone to cover the glass?

Any thoughts on the coin easel/stand?

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » March 4th, 2014, 3:35 pm

The person who came up with Coin Shooter is H. J. Burlingame. Have not seen the Downs book. However, Burlingame does indicate using a cone. Not a Dealer item.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 4th, 2014, 5:52 pm

That helps for the coin shooter part of the item. That is an impressive device and far evolved from the item using a feather described in Ponsin's book.

Would you happen to know about the coin stand part - where you can drop coins into the prop for the vanish side of the trick?

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » March 4th, 2014, 9:37 pm

Harold Martin once told me he made a closeup version for Don Alan that hide the slots effectively by using the longer fake fur snuff. Interesting idea.

I know that John Martin made coin shooters but no sure of the origin.

Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » March 5th, 2014, 7:00 am

"With the aid of this little apparatus , performer shoots into a glass a marked coin. while glass is covered with either a cone or hat." That's what is written in the first paragraph. No stand.

MJE
Favorite Magician: Craig Karges

Postby MJE » March 22nd, 2014, 11:26 pm

The Bulingame cone thing is pretty well documented, although I haven't seen it referenced anytime lately. Unfortunately, I know very little about Dante. Except for variations on established equipment, was he really terribly original in his presentation?

Sadly, his best-ever showcase was within Laurel & Hardy's worst-ever film. Anyone here have suggestions about seeing him in a better light on film? I knew someone who kinda knew him and, unfortunately, was not very complimentary.

-MJ

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 22nd, 2014, 11:52 pm

Dude, "A Haunting We Will Go" is far from Laurel and Hardy's worst film.
I defy you to sit through "Atoll K."
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » March 23rd, 2014, 8:52 am

yaaaa ..but it was pretty cool to watch it on the late ,late show (about 12:30 or 1:00 am) when you were a teenage. :D

Fredrick
Favorite Magician: Eugene Burger

Postby Fredrick » March 23rd, 2014, 10:15 am

MJE wrote:Sadly, his best-ever showcase was within Laurel & Hardy's worst-ever film. Anyone here have suggestions about seeing him in a better light on film? I knew someone who kinda knew him and, unfortunately, was not very complimentary.

Dante is featured on two DVDs from Miracle Factory. He has two spots on the You Asked For It discs. There is also Dante's Mysteries a film he made in Sweden in 1930. It's sub-titled. I received the latter as a consolation gift for a late order but haven't watched it.

Fredrick
"Try to find the humanity in the magic..." ~ Michael Moschen
The Jinx Companion

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » March 23rd, 2014, 2:35 pm

Re: coin shooter

There are basically two types of coin shooters used in magic. The simplest is the type used by Hughes and Kline. In the second type, the coin is propelled by two flat springs which essentially pinch the coin by the edge to propel it. The latter is most commonly seen in a sleeve shooter.
Jim

MJE

Postby MJE » March 23rd, 2014, 10:54 pm

[quote][/quote]Dude, "A Haunting We Will Go" is far from Laurel and Hardy's worst film.
I defy you to sit through "Atoll K."

Richard-

Yeah, OK....maybe....but at least they were the main characters in their own film.....unlike most of the Fox stuff....BUT,

You wanna see something REALLY cool? If you haven't already, check out the Spanish language verion of "Chickens Come Home." It features the great regurgitator, Hadji Ali in a very extended segment. Really great stuff! Plus some card magician....eh....

"Chickens" is one of my favorite L&H films, anyway (along with "Liberty," "Way Out West," Big Business," and "SOD,"...oh, the list is nearly endless) but this adds a whole new dimention.

-MJ

MJE

Postby MJE » March 23rd, 2014, 11:04 pm

[quote="Fredrick"][quote="MJE"]
Dante is featured on two DVDs from Miracle Factory. He has two spots on the You Asked For It discs. There is also Dante's Mysteries a film he made in Sweden in 1930.

Thanks for the tip, Frederick! I've enjoyed Miracle Factory releases, so I'm sure that this is a sure bet, as well.

-MJ

Return to “General”