Starting a magic club for juniors

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
RobFromNZ

Starting a magic club for juniors

Postby RobFromNZ » September 26th, 2013, 12:31 am

Hi.

I'm looking to begin a magic club for juniors. Our local junior club wound up a few years ago when the fellow who ran it died. Since then, juniors and seniors have met together.

However, we're seeing more juniors (my son included) take an interest in magic. I have fond memories of being in a junior magic club as a kid. We would perform a trick (the best trick received the trophy - until next meeting), then the gentleman who ran it would teach us something, either a new trick, or how to make our own, etc.

My question is this: Does anyone have any advice for running a junior club? Any other things we should be doing in the meetings? What have you seen work well?

In reality, the local magic club is not as strong as it used to be - so encouraging more young people to get into magic would be great for magic in the area.

Thanks - Rob

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Re: Starting a magic club for juniors

Postby Q. Kumber » September 26th, 2013, 3:58 am

Some juniors will keep magic as a hobby or work at it professionally.

Most members of junior clubs will drop out of magic after a few years. Of those some will rejoin a magic club later in life.

The most important skill you can teach is the ability to stand up in front of a group and hold attention, something highly useful regardless of future career.

The next most important thing is to teach three tricks with everyday objects, so that he or she will have a party piece they can perform for the rest of their life.

After that get them to take a subscription to GENII.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » September 26th, 2013, 6:17 am

Great advice from Quentin.

Matt Field

RobFromNZ

Postby RobFromNZ » September 26th, 2013, 5:42 pm

Thanks for that Q. Gives me a good framework to plan with.

I am one of those hobbyists who left, then came back later in life. And I probably gained exactly what you mention: confidence in front of a crowd, and a few tricks I've been doing all my life.

Great response Q, thanks very much.

Return to “General”