Anyone perform this little masterpiece?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Chris Deleo
Favorite Magician: dai vernon

Anyone perform this little masterpiece?

Postby Chris Deleo » September 3rd, 2013, 8:31 am

I finally decided to buckle down and learn it... however, due to obnoxious windows, I need to use quarters...

Chris Deleo

Re: Anyone perform this little masterpiece?

Postby Chris Deleo » September 3rd, 2013, 6:24 pm

Surprised no comments on this wonderful routine. It's a modern classic and impromptu if using borrowed quarters.

Performed properly, this would baffle people

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » September 4th, 2013, 2:34 am

Thanks for posting that video, Chris.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » September 4th, 2013, 7:30 am

John Carney rocks. Thanks for posting the clip.

I suspect that Mr. Carney sold his soul to magic, long, long ago.

Richard Tremblay

Postby Richard Tremblay » September 4th, 2013, 8:59 am

Practiced it when I got Carneycopia (20+ yeard ago ?) but never performed it in front a people. Maybe it's time for me to give it a shot?

Scott Wells

Postby Scott Wells » September 4th, 2013, 10:48 am

I remember this clip playing constantly in the exhibit when we worked together here at the Houston Museum of Natural Science. That was a great exhibit and a great time filled with wonderful memories.
http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/10/d8/10d88f739ba1ee9e7dd07cd32e5182fd.jpg?itok=jmLtoVGb
Visit The Magic Word at http://themagicwordpodcast.com/

Chris Deleo

Postby Chris Deleo » September 10th, 2013, 8:03 am

Ive been working on this now for a couple of weeks, dropping more Walking Liberty's than I have in years.

The most difficult sequence, and I do mean difficult, is turning that hand over on the second "vanish". The timing is extremely difficult to figure out, for me at least. At this point in my practice, I flash about 50%. Not very good. The tiniest flash of silver during the turnover and the whole routine is shot.

It's a tough one. Everything else is coming along nicely, but that one move... geez.

This routine is featured in Master Sessions, Winter Edition. Might be worth picking this up for the additional insights. As it is, John has tweaked the routine a bit since it was first published in Carneycopia.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 10th, 2013, 10:49 am

A peer in high school used to do the Downs Eureka routine brilliantly. I adapted the thing to use EG and then Latta's Nowhere Palm back then - but dropped the entire Ramsay hanging coins thing when the interlude (coins across) phase brought its own challenges.

So, yes, still do a version of the "hanging coins" and like that Carney's showing you can get the effect using more direct actions.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Chris Deleo

Postby Chris Deleo » September 10th, 2013, 12:24 pm

Hanging coins has always been of special interest to me. Guess that makes me like most coin guys... I've studied many variations over the years. This particular incarnation contains those ingredients that make a purist take notice. And like most things "Carney", all superfluous nonsense has been trimmed away leaving a refined piece of "easy to understand" magic.

Hard to imagine at this stage, but I suppose the correct timing will come and Ill look back at this the way I look back at Roth's finger tip shuttle pass and remember how difficult it used to be.

Who knows...

Return to “Close-Up Magic”