Help with Chop Mug

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Gary Brown

Help with Chop Mug

Postby Gary Brown » May 10th, 2013, 10:37 pm

After a very long search, I finally obtained one of the chop mugs designed by David Bonsall and Jamie Raven. Well, it showed up today, the bottom had a price sticker that, according to the instructions, was intentionally added for "authenticity." Well, because the cup is a few years old, the bottom is a bit yellowed and the sticker looks silly. However, I'm afraid to remove it, as I'm not sure whether or not removing the sticker would expose the gimmick or some evidence of its presence. Anyone out there know whether the sticker was really added for authenticity or if it's hiding something?

Thanks.

Gary
Gary Brown

atkinsod

Re: Help with Chop Mug

Postby atkinsod » May 14th, 2013, 9:02 pm

Hi Gary,

Sorry I don't have an answer, but I was wondering the same thing as I recently saw such a mug on e-Bay. I've heard that if you try and embed the gimmick in the cup before firing it, that the gimmick loses its properties. Thus, perhaps the gimmick must be added after firing, which would be why a price sticker is added to hide the "work"? Can you feel anything under the sticker? You could always look to replacing it with a new one...

Shazzbatt

Postby Shazzbatt » August 14th, 2013, 4:53 pm

I bought a Thomas Wayne Chop Mug through Bob Kohler a few years ago and thought it was excellent. Not sure if he still sells them though.

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » August 14th, 2013, 6:10 pm

Shazzbatt wrote:I bought a Thomas Wayne Chop Mug through Bob Kohler a few years ago and thought it was excellent. Not sure if he still sells them though.

???

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » August 15th, 2013, 11:55 am

I have one of Wayne's "Coffee Chop" mugs, purchased from TW at the 2003 WMS. Never used, it stayed in the box pretty much since purchase. BUT, the epoxy/acrylic used to secure the gimmick has yellowed badly, and there is a hairline crack around the circumference where it has separated from the wall of the mug.

So much for Wayne's "workmanship." I'd love to get rid of the damn thing. $100.00 post paid anywhere in CONUS.

And no, Kohler hasn't sold any of Wayne's stuff for years. As TW does with so many others, that bridge has been burned.

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » August 15th, 2013, 11:57 am

Whoops! If anyone is interested in buying, details are as follows:

Bill McFadden
623 Harbor Drive
Annapolis, MD 21403
410-320-1143
Bilmcfdn@comcast.net

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » August 15th, 2013, 1:07 pm

I think Pete Biro (maybe) told me about this idea: Take a regular coffee mug, drop in a thin magnet, and pour in enough white paint to cover it. When the paint dries you have a chop mug.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » August 15th, 2013, 1:39 pm

There have been a number of companies that embedded a light activated electronic music box in the coffee mug bottom recess. Pick up the mug and the music plays. The same method was copied to make chop mugs. All such items will have limited shelf life as the casting resin used to embed items will shrink and yellow with age. When new, the resin is white and tight within the recess.

Better UV inhibitors would help with the yellowing but not the shrinkage issue.

Now, if you do not mind making your own chopped coffee mugs as the aging presents itself, you can get a can of casting resin, tint, catalyst, and neo magnet and make them as you need them. Merely superglue the neo may into position, mix your resin, pour into the mug bottom recess around/over the magnet, wait overnight. Done.
Jim

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 15th, 2013, 2:24 pm

Not the same thing, of course, but Ron Wilson describes how he constructed a very innocent looking coffee chop cup in the book RK wrote. Looks just as fair (or even more so) than the chop mug, IMHO.

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » August 15th, 2013, 4:43 pm

erdnasephile wrote:Not the same thing, of course, but Ron Wilson describes how he constructed a very innocent looking coffee chop cup in the book RK wrote. Looks just as fair (or even more so) than the chop mug, IMHO.

I have heard a rumor that Ian Kendall is researching a very innocent looking chop cup that can be made from a Styrofoam coffee cup in less than 5 minutes.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » August 15th, 2013, 5:55 pm

That is correct. I wonder who gave me the idea for writing that up? :)

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » August 15th, 2013, 8:50 pm

Modesty prevents me from revealing his name.

Return to “General”