Mike Caveney's new book

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Rob Zabrecky

Mike Caveney's New Book

Postby Rob Zabrecky » June 27th, 2013, 3:16 pm

I recently saw a printer's proof copy of Mike's new book, which chronicles his life in magic as well as the illusions that he has presented at the past LA Magic History Conferences. The quality of the books are, like all Mike's work, remarkable. Looking forward to a book signing at the Magic Castle later this summer!

Jonathan Pendragon

Re: Mike Caveney's New Book

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » June 27th, 2013, 4:23 pm

Mike has certainly been privy to the elite of the world of magic on an international level. It should be a fascinating book.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 27th, 2013, 5:13 pm

... and a BIG one! Or big two, since it's a two-volume set.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 27th, 2013, 6:21 pm

Indeed it is two volumes. The first is on his magic and the second is on the magic he's done for the LA History Conference. The set should be available from Mike at "MAGIC Live" later this summer.

I too have seen the unbound proof, covers, and the slipcase for the two volumes and they are beautiful. The slipcase is lined with ... [keeping this a surprise].

It will not be inexpensive, but I can tell you that it will be worth the price!

Dustin

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 27th, 2013, 7:22 pm

I had already tried to give Mike some money to reserve my copy, but he's said they'll be plenty to go around. :D

Can't wait!

Antonio Iturra

Postby Antonio Iturra » June 27th, 2013, 11:06 pm

Well, at least I got to see the book cover when I was at Mike's house :D
This is going to be such a great book. And I can't choose what material I'm looking for the most, as Mike's stuff and LA Magic Conference material sound great equally.

And as Dustin states, it won't be unexpensive, but it'll be worth the wait and the money! It's Mike, how great can it get?

Besides the possible release of Tomsoni's book at the end of the year and Gaetan's book, this seems to be a great year for magic literature.

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » June 27th, 2013, 11:25 pm

Long live the Magic Words & the printed book!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 27th, 2013, 11:46 pm

Hear! Hear!

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 28th, 2013, 1:57 am

I just got home from a meeting of the SoCal Sodality and Mike was there with a completed set of books (the rest will be in transit soon). In a word, spectacular!

caveman

Postby caveman » June 28th, 2013, 3:34 pm

I just found this thread and thanks Rob for starting it. I am happy to use this space to answer questions about my new books. Briefly, Volume I (called Mike Caveney Wonders) is 456 pages with 570 photographs and a foreword by Mac King. It contains all of the material that I have performed in my act from my days as a Long Beach Mystic to the present. Included are the methods, theories, patter and funny stories from the road. I must thank my friend Bill Taylor for taking hundreds of the most beautiful photographs I have ever seen in a magic book.
Volume II (called The Conference Illusions) is 256 pages with 330 photographs and a foreword by Jim Steinmeyer. It contains all of the tricks and illusions that I have recreated during the past 22 years for the Los Angeles Conference on Magic History. Included is the history of each illusion, a bit about the inventor and each chapter is fully illustrated with rare photographs and posters from Egyptian Hall Museum. Each effect is fully explained with additional photos taken behind the scene and during the actual performances. You will learn how we analyzed each method and whenever possible, attempted to improve or streamline the presentation and technology.
Both books measure 9 by 11.5 inches, weigh in at 11 pounds and are printed in full color. They are housed in a matching slip case which in turn is packed in a custom shipping box. One finished set was airmailed to me and I can honestly say that I am thrilled beyond words with the quality. The rest will be here in time for Magic Live in Las Vegas, August 11 - 14.
They are sold only as a set and the price is $240 plus $15 postage. At least for the time being, that postage rate is good for the whole world. Yes, I know, it costs $60 to send a set to Europe and more elsewhere, but I will cover the balance in order to get them out there. And to those who have asked about a deluxe edition... they are all deluxe editions.

AJM

Postby AJM » June 28th, 2013, 3:48 pm

Hi Mike

I was just on your site a few minutes ago looking for some details on the new books and if I could pre-order, although couldn't find any details - do you have a mailing list?

Looking forward to these - and what a great deal for shipping to the UK.

Andrew

MManchester

Postby MManchester » June 28th, 2013, 4:03 pm

Great (and expensive) year for books. Add Mike's book to Richard's and Gaetan Bloom's and this is a stellar selection. I was already planning to get Maelstrom and the Books of Wonder. What is a poor retail employee to do? :(

Mike, any plans to make your out of print titles available again? I see Jamy Ian Swiss is using the print on demand service lulu.com for Shattering Illusions.
Michael Manchester
Literacy magic for library and school performances - http://www.librarylegerdemain.com

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » June 28th, 2013, 8:09 pm

You could always marry another magician and split the cost Ms. Manchester.

MManchester

Postby MManchester » June 28th, 2013, 8:34 pm

You could always marry another magician and split the cost Ms. Manchester.
:?:

Good idea. I'd love to marry Joshua Jay. Thanks to the Supreme Court, soon to be legal in 13 US states. Sadly, his Complete Course in Magic was not complete. It lacked shirtless beach magic. Sigh.
Michael Manchester
Literacy magic for library and school performances - http://www.librarylegerdemain.com

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » June 28th, 2013, 9:39 pm

I'm only playing off the submissive role your patter seems to suggest. Although your response has regained my respect for you.

It appears Magic Words accepts paypal. There is that all too tempting "Bill Me Later" option. For orders over $99, I believe they have incentives without interest.

There are also those junk mail credit card offers that give you $100 back when you spend over $500.

Marry the two suggestions above and I think you have a less drastic alternative to S&M.

John Carney

Mike Caveney's new book

Postby John Carney » July 1st, 2013, 8:03 pm

I just saw the new Mike Caveney book to be launched at Magic Live.

Wow!

Fantastically beautiful ..... it's enormous, and full of practical, real world material from Caveney's current act, as well as other great material from the past. Also included are his work with the historical recreations at the LA Conference on Magic History. Everything in it is a fascinating lesson in creative problem solving, by one of top magic thinkers of our day.

This has got to be one of the best books on magic, ever. Only 1500 copies printed, when they are gone, they are gone. If you are a serious performer, historian, or just love wonderful thinking (and a beautiful works of art), you've got to get this book.

Believe me, if you don't... when they are all gone ... you are going to feel like a nit wit!

Richard Kaufman

Re: Mike Caveney's new book

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 1st, 2013, 9:10 pm

I already feel like a nitwit ... now what?

Travis
Favorite Magician: Charles Morritt

Postby Travis » July 1st, 2013, 9:15 pm

Oh, I've been waiting for this for over a year. Exciting news!
I hope that Mike will make it available to order at the same time so that they aren't all snatched up at MAGIC Live.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 1st, 2013, 9:34 pm

I hope it's a best seller, but I think there will still be some left after MagicLive. Mike has also been very generous with reprinting sold out books in the past.

This, of course, will not prevent me from buying one the very first second I can! :D

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 1st, 2013, 10:37 pm

He will not sell all 1500 copies at Magic Live. That would mean that not only would every single convention attendee and performer have to buy one, but that several hundred would have to buy TWO copies.

caveman

Postby caveman » July 1st, 2013, 11:49 pm

Thanks to John Carney for the kind words.
I hope to sell lots of books at Magic Live but, at eleven pounds per set, I will only be able to get so many sets into my van. I really expect to be shipping copies from home for at least a few years so there is no need to panic. No one is going to be a nit wit if they don't want to be. And I'm going to make it very easy for foreign customers to obtain a set.
Mike Caveney

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » July 2nd, 2013, 4:17 am

Please tell us more about foreign availability when you can, for all us poor, foreign-rssidenced Caveney-lovers.

Matt Field

Robert Stacher

Postby Robert Stacher » July 3rd, 2013, 8:02 am

It is already available for ordering on Mike's website! There you can also find a table of contents and sample pictures. This will be definitely my book of the year!

MManchester

Postby MManchester » July 3rd, 2013, 11:38 am

The link to Mike's site for more information and ordering:

http://www.mcmagicwords.com/books_mike_caveney_wonders.html
Michael Manchester

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 3rd, 2013, 11:59 am

Matthew Field wrote:Please tell us more about foreign availability when you can, for all us poor, foreign-rssidenced Caveney-lovers.

Matt Field

Matt:

For a limited time, only $15 shipping worldwide!

See website for details

PS: Ordered mine! :D Can't believe he's giving it all away!

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » July 3rd, 2013, 12:13 pm

That's £175 postpaid -- a real bargain! I've ordered mine.

Matt Field

MManchester

Postby MManchester » July 3rd, 2013, 12:20 pm

For a limited time, only $15 shipping worldwide!

Thanks for the tip, erdnasephile. Didn't see that. Likely at least double that to ship something that size to Canada. Ordered my copy.
Michael Manchester

Antonio Iturra

Postby Antonio Iturra » July 3rd, 2013, 2:54 pm

Thanks for the update, Mike. Those are exciting news.
I'm really interested on the pre-order deal, it's a good price for both volumes and besides the shipping is much less expensive.
I'm really looking forward to both volumes, specially on the 2nd about the Los Angeles History Magic Conference.

Antonio

caveman

Postby caveman » July 4th, 2013, 1:43 pm

Some of you have already discovered this information but here it is for the rest of you.
The books are up on my website mcmagicwords.com so you can read all about them there.
The postage to foreign countries is off the charts expensive and I didn't want to go to all the work of producing these books and then not sell them because the postage is too high (over $70 to England, over $80 to Australia). So I'm making this temporary special offer - $15 postage shipped anywhere in the world. No, I haven't found a super cheap shipper, I'm just eating the difference. This offer positively ends at midnight on August 10, 2013.
The second special offer is that until August 14, 2013 (the final day of MAGIC Live) I am including one of my full-color Assassin of Gloom posters with each book.
The books will begin shipping in August. Thanks to all of you who have pre-ordered. I hope you are as pleased with the finished product as I am.
Mike Caveney

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 4th, 2013, 1:44 pm

Do we need to do anything special to get it signed/inscribed?

caveman

Postby caveman » July 4th, 2013, 1:46 pm

Just ask and I would be happy to sign and inscribe a copy of the book.
Especially one for Bill the master researcher.
Mike Caveney

caveman

Postby caveman » July 4th, 2013, 1:47 pm

Some of you have already discovered this information but here it is for the rest of you.
The books are up on my website mcmagicwords.com so you can read all about them there.
The postage to foreign countries is off the charts expensive and I didn't want to go to all the work of producing these books and then not sell them because the postage is too high (over $70 to England, over $80 to Australia). So I'm making this temporary special offer - $15 postage shipped anywhere in the world. No, I haven't found a super cheap shipper, I'm just eating the difference. This offer positively ends at midnight on August 10, 2013.
The second special offer is that until August 14, 2013 (the final day of MAGIC Live) I am including one of my full-color Assassin of Gloom posters with each book.
The books will begin shipping in August. Thanks to all of you who have pre-ordered. I hope you are as pleased with the finished product as I am.
Mike Caveney

Travis
Favorite Magician: Charles Morritt

Postby Travis » July 10th, 2013, 2:41 pm

Ordered mine. Can't wait!

DannyCole

Postby DannyCole » July 14th, 2013, 9:51 pm

I had a chance to take a look at the books today and I was very impressed. This is the real deal; all the secrets to Mike's professional act are in there, plus a bunch of routines that I haven't seen him do, but I can tell are going to be worth studying. Plus the second book is Mike's reworkings of classic effects that he performed for his history conference. I think the magic community is lucky that Mike is willing to share his life's work with us...this isn't a collection of tricks that may or may not be good, this is a collection of solid material that we can study and actually perform (of course, with our own interpretations.) In a way I wish Mike didn't release these books because the material is too good. I wish there was just one set of these books and it was only mine...how do I make that happen?

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » July 14th, 2013, 11:34 pm

I'm excited. I've already bought a chicken!

caveman

Postby caveman » July 30th, 2013, 7:59 pm

Turns out I'm waiting too. The books have been trapped in Customs for over two weeks. They are so close yet so far away. I'm hoping they arrive soon. If not this week then panic will slowly start to set in. Fingers crossed.
Mike

caveman

Postby caveman » July 30th, 2013, 8:02 pm

Steve, don't eat the chicken yet. The books have been trapped in Customs down in Long Beach for over two weeks. They are suppose to be released this week but they seem to make up the rules as they go along. I'll post more info as it becomes available.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 30th, 2013, 8:34 pm

I've just merged the two threads on this subject into one.

Mike and his book Wonders will be the cover story of the September issue of Genii, off to the printer tomorrow.

John Carney

Postby John Carney » August 1st, 2013, 12:59 am

Magicians buy so much garbage. Re-hash after re-hash of thin material with lots of hype.

Caveney's book is the real work by a guy who knows. It's a doozie!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 1st, 2013, 6:47 am

caveman wrote:Turns out I'm waiting too. The books have been trapped in Customs for over two weeks. They are so close yet so far away. I'm hoping they arrive soon. If not this week then panic will slowly start to set in. Fingers crossed.
Mike

Time for immigration reform! :D

Return to “Buzz”