Does the Tenyo Forum influence auction prices?

Post topics about the clever and unique creations the from Japanese magic company.

Moderator: Richard Kaufman

erdnasephile

Does the Tenyo Forum influence auction prices?

Postby erdnasephile » March 22nd, 2013, 9:20 pm

I wanted to ask the serious Tenyo collectors a question.

Do you think the auction-related posts in this forum are having an effect on Tenyo auction prices?

I'm asking because I was recently chastised by someone I respect for pointing out an auction involving a rather desirable (non-Tenyo) magic item. This person was keen on winning the item, and felt that by posting the link, I was potentially raising the gavel price. (I certainly can't argue with that, and I still feel bad about posting the link.)

Therefore, I was wondering how you Tenyo fans felt about this issue, since many of the posts deal with stuff on ebay. Do you feel this leads to inflated prices, or do all the playa's all keep track on what's on ebay anyway?
Last edited by erdnasephile on March 22nd, 2013, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PickaCard

Re: Does the Tenyo Forum influence auction prices?

Postby PickaCard » March 22nd, 2013, 9:41 pm

Let me guess: Leather Wild Wallet.

When one comes up, and it is not even listed as a "leather" wild wallet and then gets taken down from eBay as "the item was no longer available" (even though I was bidding on it) only to be reposted later as the "leather wild wallet" at a higher starting prices and then having everyone post about it on the forums... of course it affects prices.

One of the only ways to get a good deal on ebay is when you do not have too many buyers bidding up an item and general discussion as to how rare it is on a forum can only generate interest and bring new buyers to the auction.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 22nd, 2013, 11:16 pm

I like to post links to auctions of interesting items and let everyone know. Sometimes I am bidding on those very auctions (but I am never the seller).
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

edshern

Postby edshern » March 22nd, 2013, 11:24 pm

Regarding Tenyo auctions, I don't think so. Those interested enough to check and follow this forum are certainly aware of what they want and know how to search for it. Every one knows Ebay, other (magic only) auction sites, Hitomi & etc. We are dealing with a very special brand of collectible & collector, and unlike generic magic, Tenyo is very easy to search for.

Every single person here, whether participating or just LURKING this and the Cafe Tenyo forums is well tuned to the market place. That's why they are here to start with.

Now, if you mention that some small brick and mortar store in east Timbucktoo has a Leather Wild Wallet, then yeah, sharing would screw the one guy who did know about it and was trying to buy it. HOWEVER, would it be right or wrong to share in these forums is a another fair question for a different day.

Just my 3 cents,

Fast Eddie

Patter

Postby Patter » March 23rd, 2013, 12:04 am

First off I don't think anyone should chastise you. And secondly I agree that pointing a Tenyo out on ebay is a waste of time because just about every one of these guys here and there are all over any Tenyo being sold. I think there is too much talk about, prices, auctions, etc. There should be more content on performing and routines. You rarely see someone post I did some Tenyo tricks tonight for some friends/family/coworkers. I would like to see more of that. That is how I feel.

By the way, Martinka.com has an auction going right now with 4 Tenyo lots and they usually add some more Tenyo in the last days or so. It ends on Sunday. Now that information is not known by everyone, the experienced collectors yes, but the new collectors probably not. There is a Mystery China Box.

I think where I can see someone getting mad is if there is a special Tenyo item hidden in a pile of misc tricks. That happened one year ago when a Melting Loop was in a pile of stuff. The guy who had his eye on that I think would get ticked if that was pointed out. That trick is a hard one to find.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 23rd, 2013, 12:50 am

One day, 15 hours left on these auctions.

Mystery China Box:
http://www.martinka.com/martinka/auctio ... p?ID=20608

Fanning Cards and More:
http://www.martinka.com/martinka/auctio ... p?ID=20607

Mirror Mate, Kings & Aces, Coin Fan:
http://www.martinka.com/martinka/auctio ... p?ID=20517

Card Frame, Glass Board, etc:
http://www.martinka.com/martinka/auctio ... p?ID=20517

Tom Leyland
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield

Postby Tom Leyland » March 23rd, 2013, 1:44 am

Absolutely this forum will have an effect on Tenyo online auction prices and sales. Just as any forum about any collectible will influence online auction prices and sales. The simple fact that we post Tenyo eBay alerts affects Tenyo eBay closings. To what degree is completely unknown; invariably, there is some effect.

Believe it or not, YouTube videos affect online auction Tenyo prices and closings. It's only natural that once you see an effect, if you like it (just as when you see a trick demo in a magic store), you often end up buying the trick.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 23rd, 2013, 6:10 am

Patter wrote:
By the way, Martinka.com has an auction going right now with 4 Tenyo lots and they usually add some more Tenyo in the last days or so. It ends on Sunday. Now that information is not known by everyone, the experienced collectors yes, but the new collectors probably not. There is a Mystery China Box.

I'm not a collector, but I just remembered I have an unopened Mystery China Box around here somewhere. Is it hard to find?

edshern

Postby edshern » March 23rd, 2013, 9:03 am

Patter wrote:First off I don't think anyone should chastise you. .

Agree - Also what may hurt the buyer, helps the seller.

Patter wrote: I think there is too much talk about, prices, auctions, etc. There should be more content on performing and routines.

Great Point Patter!! BUT....... It's interesting though. If I think about all the posts on these forums over the last couple of years, it is more likely that our collections are more important than the magic. Or, it seems that way to me. Even when Stereo issues his weekly requests for ratings the comments/enthusiasm seem lackluster. I for example really am a collector of magic much more than I am a performer of magic. It would be hard for me to add content here regarding routines because I don't perform.
I think Tenyo rarely gets performed outside of family and friends. And now, I have just convinced myself that it's about the collection, not the routines or performance. Still a great point though Patter :)

Tom Leyland
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield

Postby Tom Leyland » March 23rd, 2013, 12:06 pm

Good points Ed. There is a distinction with Tenyo in that some Tenyo collectors aren't magicians at all in both the technical and classical sense.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 23rd, 2013, 12:13 pm

I am an odd duck--an exception to the norm in that I do advanced sleight of hand with cards and also collect and perform Tenyo effects. But most guys who've spent years learning an artful Double Lift and Classic Pass are generally not going to take out a small piece of plastic apparatus and perform a trick with it.

I have also been an avid fan of Rube Goldberg since the age of 14 when I built some plastic models that recreated a few of his inventions. There's no question that the intricate and sometimes odd working of plastic apparatus is interesting to me. "Crystal Pyramid" is a good example of this: it's both ingenious and nutty at the same time.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 23rd, 2013, 12:56 pm

I think some Tenyo stuff is eminently performable for real people--"What's Next?", "Crystal Tube", "Time Capsule", "Occult Board", "Prison Box" and "Mini-Zag" come to mind. (and not a single penetration effect amongst them! :D )

There seems to be a built in prejudice against apparatus-type magic these days (a subject Jim Steinmeyer has passionately written about).

Although I slave over sleight of hand, to me, the effect is the thing.

A beautiful presentation of Dean's Box or Steinmeyer's Change Bag routine is just as worthy as a center dealing demonstration, IMHO (as long as there aren't fake Chinese characters slathered on the props!).

PS: I think Mini-Zag is very underrated--just have to get the angles right and it's hard to imagine a more innocent prop with a very compelling optical illusion.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 23rd, 2013, 12:58 pm

I love Mini-Zag. One of my favorites.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 23rd, 2013, 1:02 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I love Mini-Zag. One of my favorites.

The other interesting thing about Mini-Zag is all of the youtube videos I've found of it are completely wrong. Anyone who looks at those and sees you do it the right way will be blown away.

PS: Don't think I'd pay this much for it though: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tenyo-T-141-M ... 1000121011

edshern

Postby edshern » March 23rd, 2013, 3:11 pm

Hey, speaking of double lifts, I'm gonna take Aaron Fisher's online DL class.
Starts next month.

Return to “Tenyo”