What is Coin of Dracula Worth?

Post topics about the clever and unique creations the from Japanese magic company.

Moderator: Richard Kaufman

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

What is Coin of Dracula Worth?

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 21st, 2013, 11:23 pm

Evidentally $251!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenyo-T-150-Coi ... true&rt=nc
Holy crap and a half!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Leyland
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield

Re: What is Coin of Dracula Worth?

Postby Tom Leyland » March 22nd, 2013, 12:07 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Evidentally $251!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenyo-T-150-Coi ... true&rt=nc
Holy crap and a half!

Richard,

CoD regularly approaches $200 now and has sold for more than $200 in the past.

BTW, that is the first Japanese packaged CoD I have personally seen on eBay.

$251.49 recorded.

Patter

Postby Patter » March 22nd, 2013, 12:21 am

"CoD regularly approaches $200 now"

Not Really

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=te ... k&_sacat=0

Tom Leyland

Postby Tom Leyland » March 22nd, 2013, 12:26 am

Patter wrote:"CoD regularly approaches $200 now"

Not Really

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=te ... k&_sacat=0

Patter, actually it does. I have been tracking Tenyo pricing data for nearly 2.6 years.

Even recent eBay closings will show this, a guy in Denmark sold one for $217.50 (might have been a shill bid) on Feb 12th. Then another was practically stolen for $46 on March 3rd, then the same guy in Denmark either sold the same trick or a dupe for $119.50 on March 13th .

What you'll find with Tenyo is that prices are all across the map. It's not unusual for CoD to pull $200.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » March 22nd, 2013, 6:00 am

$251 appears to be a high outliner to me.

Tom Leyland

Postby Tom Leyland » March 22nd, 2013, 9:35 am

You are correct!

It's never went that high.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » March 22nd, 2013, 7:07 pm

That is because I have a copy of your price tracking document ;)

I purchased 2 Dracula Coins, BNIP, in Mint condition from a dealer about 1 month ago for about $70 each. (I bought the last 2). I usually buy 2, one to play with and one to open. But at these crazy prices I have second thoughts on opening my sealed ones and have thoughts of buying an open instead...

I have rarely made a good deal on eBay.

However, it is possible to find a seller with good Tenyo karma if you know where to look.
Last edited by PickaCard on March 22nd, 2013, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angelo Carbone

Postby Angelo Carbone » March 22nd, 2013, 7:14 pm

I was wondering... does a sealed Tenyo product really get that much more? If I was bidding I wouldn't care as I would want to just open the darn thing and enjoy it and fool my friends. It is an active product that needs to be interacted with to appreciate and enjoy it. If it was a passive product such as a display doll or photograph, then you can enjoy it simply by viewing it so therefore sealed passive items would make sense in a collection

JMHO. :-)

edshern

Postby edshern » March 22nd, 2013, 7:19 pm

I wish I knew where to look.

Anybody willing to give me some ideas.

If not here then PLEASE PM me.

Thanks,

Ed

Angelo Carbone

Postby Angelo Carbone » March 22nd, 2013, 7:31 pm

I have a spare but it is missing the sword. Maybe it will show up if i turn my home upside down :D

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » March 22nd, 2013, 7:33 pm

Angelo, you make good points but it has happened to me to spend $100 on a used Tenyo item just to find out that it really is "used" when I could have bid on a BNIP that comes in nice packaging and is actually brand new.

As for Dracula Coin, I believe the packaging has an appeal that is reflected in its price. I feel the same way about 95% of the blister packages. (I do not feel this way about the awful transparent box packaging or the more recent box packaging which can easily be opened and the flap closed in.)

Let's get real. At least 50% of them are not really great to perform. Tenyo is a really fun toy for a magician. I don't collect GI Joes or Super Hero action figures, but every year I am happy that there is one magic company that releases about 4 magic toys for my amusement. If I am lucky they will be performance worthy.

Meridian

Postby Meridian » March 22nd, 2013, 8:43 pm

Anyone know the recent selling prices on Crossroads? I am thinking about bidding on the one for sale on Ebay right now and don't want to overpay. Thanks for any advice!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 22nd, 2013, 11:22 pm

Some items, like the small early boxed tricks, are never "sealed." So their sales price is based on rarity and condition of the box. "Invisible Man" falls into this category. I've had two or three at various times (sadly, not now) and none were sealed. None of the very early boxed items show any evidence of having been shrink wrapped or sealed.

Any highly desirable item like "Mirage" it seems to me would be worth much more sealed. That ensure it's not broken! The value is simplay based on the fact that there are fewer sealed ones than open ones.

With some items, like "Wonder Window," you can't be certain if it's going to work properly or not even if it is sealed. In that case, I'd pick an open one that is guaranteed to function properly.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Patter

Postby Patter » March 23rd, 2013, 12:48 am

"Anyone know the recent selling prices on Crossroads? I am thinking about bidding on the one for sale on Ebay right now and don't want to overpay. Thanks for any advice!"

Here you go.
http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_from=R4 ... ld=1&rt=nc

And notice there are two variations of the cross device. Primarily Red with White highlights and vice versa. Do you know which one is more rare? I would guess neither. I think they mold the red parts and then mold the white parts and then the swap certain parts to get a more interesting design. So neither would have been manufactured more than the other if this is indeed how they do it, but I don't know for sure.

Tom Leyland

Postby Tom Leyland » March 23rd, 2013, 1:57 am

Interestingly, my data shows no price premiums for tricks being brand new in package (BNIP), opened with package, used with no packaging, etc. It's nuts! It really is.

2 years ago, an opened without package Tunnel of Darkness sold for $330 and I have seen many BNIP Tunnel of Darkness sell for far less.

Tenyo pricing is all across the board. There are a ton of variables that influence price trends.

Richard K. is right though, as a general rule; BNIP Tenyo in the era of card and prop packaging tends to average higher closings. This is simply because there is less of it. The first T-series tricks weren't sealed and a lot of the appeal here is box condition and trick completeness from my observations.

Return to “Tenyo”