Videos

Discuss aspects of the new digital access to all back issues of Genii and anything therein.
Phil Pearce

Videos

Postby Phil Pearce » March 20th, 2012, 7:10 pm

How exactly does one access the videos that RK alludes to in Genii Speaks? I read the article on Yumi in the digital edition but could find no link to an "embedded" video.
Thanks.

Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.
Roald Dahl

Richard Hatch

Re: Videos

Postby Richard Hatch » March 20th, 2012, 7:32 pm

I couldn't find Yumi's performance video either...

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 20th, 2012, 7:32 pm

There are "watch" and "listen" buttons at various points in the issue. For instance, there is a "listen" button (with a little ear in it) to the right of the title "On the Slant" on p.12 with Racherbaumer's audio.

To find the video of Yumi's act go to p.72 and look in the upper left corner of the page for the "watch" button (with a little eye in it). All buttons are clickable. For the Davenport Brothers video, there is a "watch" button on p.79.

There is also an audio/video tab in the menu along the bottom of the app (simply tap the bottom of the screen for it to come up).
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Phil Pearce

Postby Phil Pearce » March 20th, 2012, 10:05 pm

Thanks. Very very nice.

Phil

Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

Roald Dahl

Jeff Dial

Postby Jeff Dial » March 21st, 2012, 2:33 am

Speaking of videos, what are the chances of getting a video camera into John Gaughan's Chamber of Secrets? Like this month's article said, "You thought that was good, you should see how it works." I'd love to see these treasures in action.

Jeff

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 21st, 2012, 1:03 pm

Since we did all the work on John's column (gathering information and shooting photos) for the first two years in advance of our adoption of a digital issue, no video was shot. I would have to go back out to LA and John would have to be prepared--it's actually a lot of work to do several dozen of these in one shot. Going forward, should we continue the column beyond two years, you will probably see video added assuming John agrees to that.

MManchester

Postby MManchester » December 4th, 2012, 8:48 pm

Is there a way to make the videos larger? When I place my cursor in the corner of the video player it doesn't give me an option to drag and resize. I figure this must be something unique to my situation because they're really small. This screen capture:

http://bit.ly/11AKUSq

shows how little space the video occupies on my monitor.

Thanks for any input.
Michael Manchester
Literacy magic for library and school performances - http://www.librarylegerdemain.com

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 4th, 2012, 8:56 pm

They're a bit larger on my monitor, but only a bit.

Frankly, the company I'm using for this is not very easy to communicate with and I've been unable to get information from them on how to make the video windows larger on a normal computer monitor. They keep telling me that it's something I control, and I keep asking them how do I control it. That's been going on for a year.

They are much larger on an iPad: they take up the entire lower half of the screen and can go full screen. I am hoping that the app we're going to launch in a month or so for Android tablets and the Kindle Fire will be as nice as the one we have for the iPad.

MManchester

Postby MManchester » December 4th, 2012, 9:35 pm

Sounds like the magazine would benefit from a change.

The speed of your replies Richard and commitment to your readers is extraordinary. Please don't ever leave.
Michael Manchester
Literacy magic for library and school performances - http://www.librarylegerdemain.com

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 4th, 2012, 9:38 pm

You'd be surprised how little choice there is out there for niche market magazines to create digital issues with multimedia. There are not a wide choice of companies to go with who don't charge exhorbitant fees.

I'm doing the best I can!

I'm always trying to improve our product.

Return to “iGenii”