Poll: With which magician would you like to spend an evening talking magic?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Mike Remington

Re: Poll: With which magician would you like to spend an evening talking magic?

Postby Mike Remington » August 17th, 2012, 5:35 am

For the big names, I would go with Johnny Thompson or Harry Lorayne. There are also many people on this forum who I think would be interesting to talk with - Pete Biro and Bob Farmer seem like they would have many stories, for example.

Mike Remington

Postby Mike Remington » August 17th, 2012, 5:38 am

For the big names, I would go with Johnny Thompson or Harry Lorayne. There are also many people on this forum who I think would be interesting to talk with - Pete Biro and Bob Farmer seem like they would have many stories, for example.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 17th, 2012, 11:40 am

I dont want this to sound like Pete is a has been, but the fact is there was a time when, to my generation, Pete was one of the big guys. His act was uniqueits not every day that you see a guy perform very strong magic while being funny AND on skatesand his column in Genii (the Reel Work) was the first thing I read. Pete is still, and will always be, that guy to me. And yes, he has some great stories!

Ive never met Mr. Farmer, but, well, he isyou knowa lawyer.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » August 17th, 2012, 12:07 pm

Now that I think of it, my real list would have all the people whom I respect and have had nice email exchanges with but have never met in person. Bob Farmer is high on that list, along with James Swain, Jon Racherbaumer, Bob Neale, and Guy Hollingworth. I might also like to have dinner with Derek Delgaudiowhom I know and see most weeks at the castleso he can help me out with the Truffle Shuffle, which I'm starting to learn. Man that's a bitch.

R.E.Byrnes

Postby R.E.Byrnes » August 17th, 2012, 12:22 pm

Pete Biro really did turn up constantly in the formative years of those now in their 30s/40s; and he's still full of vitality. Also, the other Pete - McCabe - is endlessly interesting, on seemingly any topic. (And his Truffle Shuffle is certainly far better than mine.)

There aren't a great many of the old-time magic dealers left; but perhaps some of them -- Tony Spina, Hank Lee, etc. -- ought to be represented here. What they lack in depth, in comparison to some of the elite performers, they might make up for in the breadth of having known so many of those performers, and in some of their most candid and creative moments. The stories about the back-room sessions and Saturday lunches never fail to deliver, and I always fall for the kicker on those stories; often something like: "and the guy doing coins over in the corner was . . . David Roth. . . "

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 17th, 2012, 6:53 pm

thanks for all your kind words.... Come by most Wednesday's at Dean Dill's shoppe and let's chat.
Stay tooned.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » August 18th, 2012, 1:09 pm

The only reason Pete wasn't on my list is that I've spent several great Wednesday Afternoons with Peteand Dean, and many other great magiciansat Dean's. These visits are exactly, I think, what this thread is about. Peteand Dean, for that matteris smart, funny, knows everyone and everything, has done it all, has great stories, and is a tremendously nice guy.

Meanwhile I am available for dinner.

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » August 18th, 2012, 7:03 pm

Amilcar:

Muchas Gracias for posting Ascanios thoughts about me. He was always very supportive of my magic and me. I am still a BIG fan and admirer of his magic and his magic philosophies. It was an honor to be his translator when he visited the USA.

Ive been looking for an excuse to visit the great city of Barcelona. Lets see what we can work out! :)

Un Abrazo Fuerte Hermano!

Eric Decamps

Mark Paulson

Postby Mark Paulson » August 21st, 2012, 1:53 pm

For me, it would be David Williamson. He cracks me up.

Donhdunn

Postby Donhdunn » August 21st, 2012, 3:34 pm

I tossed $15 toward Vanishing, Inc., and last week downloaded Williamson's 90-minute lecture to some group...funny, informative, his story about Vernon practicing a top change is hysterical...great salt/thumbtiip routine, just a few effects but great listening/watching all the way through. Oh, but he does make everything look so easy.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » August 21st, 2012, 4:32 pm

Dondunn wrote:I tossed $15 toward Vanishing, Inc., and last week downloaded Williamson's 90-minute lecture to some group...funny, informative, his story about Vernon practicing a top change is hysterical...great salt/thumbtiip routine, just a few effects but great listening/watching all the way through. Oh, but he does make everything look so easy.

for the money, it seemed rude to say no, but I bloody hate the watermarking.

this kind of branding is EASY to get around with cropping and brands me as a thief from the get go.

it's vanishing inc saying "we are going to assume you're going to upload this to filesharing sites, although we know nothing about you at all"

It's like buying a suit, and them not taking out the security tag.

There are many many clever ways of invisibly watermarking content I expected better from Vanishing Inc...This is clumsy and offensive imho.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 21st, 2012, 5:48 pm

Funny, Damian, they watermarked mine the same way:

[img:center]https://img.skitch.com/20120821-fba17jhxgcwdumemixykagete7.jpg[/img]

:)

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » August 21st, 2012, 7:02 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:Funny, Damian, they watermarked mine the same way:

[img:center]https://img.skitch.com/20120821-fba17jhxgcwdumemixykagete7.jpg[/img]

:)

I just spat out wine laughing. Good work, Sir.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » August 21st, 2012, 7:06 pm

Watermarking aside, it's a bloody good lecture. The vernon top change story is great and the little, almost thrown away coin in bottle idea is delicious. Bargain for 15 bucks.

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » August 21st, 2012, 9:48 pm

I really have been blessed by having spent many evenings with Walter Gibson, Jeff McBride, Rudy Coby, Larry Weeks, Dr. Morris Young, and Mike Bornstein.

I would like to spend an evening with Copperfield, or Dematos.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 21st, 2012, 10:45 pm

Awfully glad you took my little joke in the spirit in which it was intended.

I saw Williamson lecture and perform at a regional convention in Atlanta, GA about 12 years ago one of those times where I just about hurt myself laughing. He gets so much credit for funny that its easy to forget what a good magician he is.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » August 22nd, 2012, 1:15 am

Ask Williamson to tell you the story about doing the cigarette through quarter for Siegfried and Roy.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » August 22nd, 2012, 5:13 am

Pete McCabe wrote:Ask Williamson to tell you the story about doing the cigarette through quarter for Siegfried and Roy.

It's on the lecture. Very funny.

Ruben Padilla

Postby Ruben Padilla » August 23rd, 2012, 7:41 pm

Easy.

Michael Weber.

Hope I have the chance someday...
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 23rd, 2012, 8:00 pm

Ruben, come to the Genii Convention and you might have the chance.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » August 23rd, 2012, 10:05 pm

Attending a workshop with Weber is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant. The fire is both started and quenched by the same man. Highly recommended!

Mike Remington

Postby Mike Remington » August 24th, 2012, 2:46 am

R.E.Byrnes wrote:There aren't a great many of the old-time magic dealers left; but perhaps some of them ... ought to be represented here. .... The stories about the back-room sessions and Saturday lunches never fail to deliver, and I always fall for the kicker on those stories; often something like: "and the guy doing coins over in the corner was . . . David Roth. . . "

The traditional magic shops give us enthusiasts an opportunity to hear great stories and to meet other people visiting the shops. Chance encounters last year gave me the opportunity to talk with 5 people that were authors or subjects of magic books. With a job that requires significant travel, dropping by magic shops in various cities has always been a good way for me to meet people and talk about magic. Unfortunately, such traditional shops are becoming harder to find. Denny & Lee and Fantasma are two good examples of shops that continue that tradition. Fantasma not only gives you an opportunity to meet and talk to David Roth, you also get a chance to see him demo the Sponge Ding Dong.

Reading the posts from the two Petes, I will now be adding a trip to Dean Dill's shop on a Wednesday to my next visit to LA.

Pete McCabe - I would like to take this opportunity to say how much I am enjoying reading Scripting Magic. Thank you.

Dustin Stinett wrote:Ive never met Mr. Farmer, but, well, he isyou knowa lawyer.

There are a few other lawyers on the lists above, so you didn't need to make him sound even more interesting by pointing out his profession. I may be a bit prejudiced, however. When I get the rare chance to perform in a formal setting, I introduce myself by saying: "I have spent most of the last 30 years traveling around the world practicing the art of deception. I have fooled people in more than 50 countries.... When not working as a lawyer, I also do a little magic."

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » August 24th, 2012, 3:11 am

Jonathan Pendragon.... it's the only way I can have an intelligent conversation.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 24th, 2012, 11:08 am

As I always say, if you can't talk to yourself, who can you talk to?

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 24th, 2012, 11:33 am

Earlier this year, I gave up a chance to talk with Mr. Pendragon because I was too self-conscious to say anything. (Doh!)

Similarly, I was sitting right behind Michael Weber during a Max Maven performance and didn't say a word. (Idiot!)

Finally, I was in Manhattan for the first time as an adult this summer and missed David Roth because I didn't realize he still did the Fantasma thing. (Filthy worm!)

Note to self: don't let chances like this pass by again...

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 24th, 2012, 11:56 am

David Roth no longer works at Fantasma.

Alex de Cova
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Alex de Cova » August 24th, 2012, 12:49 pm

@Jonathan: YEAH! Would LOVE to spend an evening with you, Jonathan!
STILL keep the Samurai sword you presented me with as one of my priced possesions !!!
LOVED the reason WHY you gave it to me (remember? Austria, the Magic hands Convention, Irene Larsen, and so on...)
Best and a big hug, my friend!
Alexander
Last edited by Alex de Cova on December 31st, 1969, 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: misspelled... ;-)
NOTAS - my first book in English coming soon.
Read more about it on http://www.solidmagic.org/notas

luigimar

Postby luigimar » August 24th, 2012, 1:19 pm

Talking about chance encounters, in 1986, when I was in San Mateo California, I would go to Merlin's Magic Mansion (whatever happened to them? I've asked about them and got no answer) on El Camino Real. One day I went there and got to meet David Michael Evans, when The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings had just gotten published. I got to watch lots of magic from him and even got some pictures. He told me he had helped publish the book. I bought a copy and got it autographed. Almost at the end of the book there's a section where his name is written and that's where he signed it. I don't remember what effects he performed but I remember I was fascinated watching one of those guys who knows what he talks about. A fond memory I will never forget.
luigimar

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » August 24th, 2012, 5:25 pm

I saw Michael Carbonaro in the Parlor at the Castle this week so I was in playful mood when I saw this thread. Michael opens a presentation with "If I could have dinner with anyone living or dead... I would choose living. There is a better chance they would pick-up the tab."

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 24th, 2012, 5:37 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:David Roth no longer works at Fantasma.

Thanks, Richard: makes me feel a little better at least :)

West McDonough

Postby West McDonough » August 24th, 2012, 7:03 pm

I'm fortunate enough to know a number of great magicians, several of whom are wonderful conversationalists. I would say that Jonathan Pendragon is still, by far, the best thinker on magic I've ever talked to, but you'd probably say I'm biased :) Still and all, I count myself fortunate to have such a wonderful source of magic knowledge available to me on a daily basis.

Just considering people that I have NOT yet had a lengthy conversation with, I'd have to put Teller at the top of my list. He just seems like a serioiusly interesting guy.

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » August 25th, 2012, 12:56 am

That's what I get for teaching her an Ambitious Ace routine.

Timothy Hyde

Postby Timothy Hyde » August 25th, 2012, 3:34 am

Dinner with - Billy McComb, Jay Marshall, Topper Martyn,

Actualy, I had dinner with them at the Lisbon FISM, it's just that I'd really really like to do it again.

(I can assure you however I didn't do much of the talking, just a whole lot of listening.)
The Secret Notebooks of Mr Hyde - Vol 1 & 2 - http://www.MagicCoach.com

BlueEyed Videot
Favorite Magician: Max Maven, Ray Anderson

Postby BlueEyed Videot » August 25th, 2012, 3:50 am

The two greatest magical memories for me have been the opportunity to spend about an hour and a half learning mnemonics one-on-one from Max Maven at the Castle. Max somehow must be related to Jay Marshall, with his deep and practical knowledge of magic.

I also had the extreme pleasure of closing the Castle one night sitting at the entrance Bar listening to Billy McComb hold forth. Billy could get me lauging in two seconds flat, and keep me continually in stitches for hours (or at least until I passed out unable to catch my breath what with all the belly laughing I was doing.)

I think between these two men, one alive and one having just recently shuffled off his mortal coil, know more about entertaining people for a living than just about anyone else. My votes could only go to these two great representatives of our craft.

Carl Skenes

Postby Carl Skenes » August 25th, 2012, 6:53 am

John Calvert.

West McDonough

Postby West McDonough » August 25th, 2012, 8:37 pm

Another person who is wonderful to talk magic with is Jim Steinmeyer brilliant mind and thorough knowledge of both history and technique. Also a helluva funny guy! :)

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » August 28th, 2012, 8:16 pm

I would like to spend an evening discussing magic with Jim Sisti. I remember the first time I saw his photo on the jacket cover of The Magic Menu: The First 5 Years . Sisti is standing in a restaurant holding a deck with the King of Spades face up. I've always wondered what that trick was. I've read many of Sisti's essays in Genii and Magic on the performance of magic in intimate venues like strolling, restaurants and bars, and it feels like I've known him for many years. I enjoyed reading his unpretentious and informative articles and a conversation with him on his performing experiences would make my evening.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 28th, 2012, 11:47 pm

Last year, I got to have breakfast with Michael Weber, Eric Mead, and Derek Del Gaudio. Much of the conversation was about the waitresses, and how good the hash browns were.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 29th, 2012, 12:59 am

Ah, the mundane aspects of real life.

m pierce

Postby m pierce » August 29th, 2012, 1:43 pm

Max Maven. I was not a big fan of his for many years but I saw him on EMC 2012 and was very impressed. Since that time I have done some "googling" and he really has done a great deal for magic, young people, performers and the industry in general. I just ordered one of his books.
Of course dinner would be on me.

Return to “Buzz”