Associations/clubs

Where local magicians eat, meet, and greet.
Bill Reader

Associations/clubs

Postby Bill Reader » August 14th, 2012, 2:07 pm

Hello, Not sure if this would be the right place to list my question? I was wondering if anybody knew of any other associations or clubs other then IBM (national-local)rings,SAM (national-local)rings ,MCA,IMS. I belong to all of those and was looking for others that I may show my support by joining. I am looking into joining the magic castle as well. Thanks

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Re: Associations/clubs

Postby Ted M » August 14th, 2012, 10:29 pm

Conjuring Arts Research Center:

http://conjuringarts.org/memberships/

Bill Reader

Postby Bill Reader » August 15th, 2012, 9:19 am

Thanks Ted, I will look in to it. I think I am pretty much a member of the main associations,clubs,rings, just looking for some extras that I could join and show my support too.

John Bowden
Location: Main Street, Urlingford, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland, E41 Y9K2.

Postby John Bowden » August 15th, 2012, 12:54 pm

You could apply for membership of The Magic Circle in London.
There are already about 200 members from USA.
Every month an excellent magazine "The Magic Circular" drops through your letterbox and should you ever find yourself in London you can visit their HQ.
Their website can be found here:
http://www.themagiccircle.co.uk/

Of course if you ever visit Ireland you will be welcome to come along to any of the Irish Magic Clubs and all the info for those can be found at
http://www.irishmagicnews.com/irish-magic-societies/

Hope some of this helps.
It is great that there are guys like you who just wish to belong to societies, where they can meet other magicians and give their support and help where required and needed. Often it is these "silent" members who with their subscriptions, physical help and presence are the real mainstay of a society.

Cheers from The Emerald Isle of Ireland,
John Bowden
Member of TMC IBM SIM USM MSM MCM MCM(different) SBM WLMC

Bill Reader

Postby Bill Reader » August 15th, 2012, 1:05 pm

Thanks Mr. Bowden. I really appreciate it Respectfully. Being involved with magic for 28 years, to me its about supporting the craft of magic and preserving it for the future generation of magicians.I will check those out as well, and if I am over sometime, I would love to tag along to the Irish clubs. Thanks so much for the invite.

erdnasephile

Joining the Magic Circle from the US

Postby erdnasephile » August 15th, 2012, 1:31 pm

I've always wondered about this: don't you have to fly over to audition if you wish to join the Magic Circle from overseas? If not, how does one complete the interview/audition with a senior member of the Magic Circle?

John Bowden
Location: Main Street, Urlingford, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland, E41 Y9K2.

Re: Joining the Magic Circle from the US

Postby John Bowden » August 15th, 2012, 4:28 pm

It usually requires some form of audition but this can be in video format so one does not need to be physically present to become a member. This rule may have been altered over the years so I would recommend getting in touch with The Magic Circle if you are interested in joining as an overseas member.

As an overseas member you pay something less in the way of subscription but still get the Magic Circular every month.

Personally, I envy those London members who can get there every week as it seems to be a hive of activity every Monday Night and also there is an extensive library of books and magazines.

Visitors to the HQ will be impressed with the wonderful poster display and the exciting museum pieces.

Even without being a member I would encourage any visiting magician to England, certainly to London, to make it a port of call at some stage of their travels.

Being in Ireland, I am an overseas member but who know.............. the night YOU visit I just might be there.

See you in London,
John Bowden

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 15th, 2012, 5:38 pm

The dues are a little pricey (although it is the most prestigious magic club in the world IMHO).

Are there any other overseas members on Genii Board? Has it been worth it to you?

Steve Price

Postby Steve Price » August 16th, 2012, 11:25 am

Hi everyone,
My name's Steve Price, I'm Secretary of The Magic Circle. As has already been mentioned, we have a large number of overseas members. As well as receiving "The Magic Circular" each month, members also gain access to the website, where you can view back issues of "The Magic Circular", watch video digests (and some full lectures) and occasionally we stream some evenings live worldwide!

For the first time this year we have offered overseas members a choice of whether to receive "The Circular" by Airmail or Surface mail. Those aged 18-64 pay 110 for Airmail or 100 for Surface mail. Those aged 65+ pay 90 for Airmail or 80 for Surface mail. Full details of how to join may be found at:

http://www.themagiccircle.co.uk/join-us

If you'd like to know more, please just ask. We would love to have you with us.

Steve Price

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 16th, 2012, 11:37 am

For overseas members who don't get to London often (or at all), membership will give you more for your money in the future as The Circle live streams more events. I didn't know that there were archived videos of past events on the website, but I'm happy to hear it!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Magician's Local Hangouts”