Seeking Best Egg Bag

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Seeking Best Egg Bag

Postby Joe Naud » August 2nd, 2012, 9:43 pm

I'm looking to so some studying on the classic Egg Bag and wanted some advice as to what bag people preferred to use. Thanks in advance for your help!
Peace, Joe

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Seeking Best Egg Bag

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 2nd, 2012, 10:20 pm

People generally use one of two types of bags these days, the so-called Malini bag (pocket inside), or the Tarbell bag (pocket outside).

If you have seen John Thompson, Harry Riser, Charlie Miller, or quite a few others ... most pros seem to use the Malini bag. It has much to recommend it.

But so does the Tarbell bag which, if properly made, is a thing of beauty.

The props are so different, in fact, that the routines which can be done with them are really different animals.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » August 2nd, 2012, 11:53 pm

Thompson's routine is fantastic. Try to see it live. That'll tell you what you can do with a Malini bag.

I don't know who stands in for the Tarbell bag.

Ray Eden

Postby Ray Eden » August 3rd, 2012, 2:30 am

My Egg Bag of choice is Jeff Hobson's. The construction of his bag allows easier access into the bag. It is also stiffer than the other bags, which also allows for more fun with the bag.

Magickally,
Ray Eden

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » August 3rd, 2012, 2:55 am

Pete McCabe wrote:I don't know who stands in for the Tarbell bag.

Martin Lewis does a great Tarbell bag routine and supplies them (I believe his mother makes them!).

Bob White teaches his wonderful handling of the Malini bag on a DVD. Harry Riser's handling is in one of his two books.

DeBiere's handling can be seen in this wonderful newsreel clip (posted on the forum elsewhere some time ago, but worth reposting!):
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/de-biere

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 3rd, 2012, 3:00 am

Richard Hatch wrote:Bob White teaches his wonderful handling of the Malini bag on a DVD.

And I believe Bob will be performing that great Egg Bag routine for us at the Genii Bash!

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » August 3rd, 2012, 11:43 am

For the Malini egg bag, I would recommend "Ken Brooke and Friends Work On The Malini Egg Bag" by Magic Inc. I believe they still sell it. The bag sold by Danny Tong is a bargain, I think.

I think the best work on the Sterling Bag is the booklet by Jeff Buzzbee - I hate to say it. As Richard Hatch said, the Martin Lewis routine is great - get in - get out - no over-proving etc. It's on one of the Stevens DVDs I believe.

(As a side note - Lynne Busby made a terrific Sterling bag - I've had mine for over 30 years. I wonder whatever happened to her.....)

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 3rd, 2012, 12:01 pm

Joe:

If you are trying to decide which egg bag to go with, the Tarbell Course will give you a wealth of information, as does the underappreciated "The Encyclopedia of Egg Magic".

If you wish to know what to specfically look for in a Malini Egg Bag, read Harry Riser's second book (Escamateur).

Giving Denny Haney a call to ask him about his opinions regarding the egg bag would be well worthwhile.

If you'd like to purchase the only egg bag endorsed by Johnny Thompson, try the Malini Egg Bag made by Lynetta Welch http://www.fabricmanipulation.com/about.html I can personally vouch that they are superb (as are all her products).

Finally, this thread may be of value: http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubb ... mber=43725

Good luck!

Joe Naud

Postby Joe Naud » August 3rd, 2012, 1:07 pm

Thanks to everyone for the great help with this. I truly appreciate your help!
Peace, Joe

jason156
Favorite Magician: Bro. John Hamman, Simon Aronson, David Regal

Postby jason156 » August 4th, 2012, 4:42 am

Pete McCabe wrote:Thompson's routine is fantastic. Try to see it live. That'll tell you what you can do with a Malini bag.

I don't know who stands in for the Tarbell bag.

A couple of years ago I saw Johnny Thompson perform the eggbag and he fried me, and I do mean fried me, It was the single best moment of the convention I saw him at, I love being fooled by something I think I know.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 4th, 2012, 11:29 am

I believe you can see Johnny and/or Charlie Miller do the Egg Bag on one of the Greater Magic vidoes that Twin Cities magic puts out. Not certain, but it's worth checking out.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 4th, 2012, 11:41 am

Richard's right: I own those DVD's and it's fun to watch the two of them work--you can see the influence Mr. Miller had on Mr. Thompson, but it's a great lesson of how to take concepts and develop a routine that fits yourself.

The downside to the DVD's is that I found the discussion of the egg bag a little cursory, although there are some very valuble tips in there I had not heard elsewhere (for example, Mr. Thompson's specific technique on how to hide the pocket, and why thumb size doesn't matter as much as I thought it did). Hopefully, in his big book, a detailed discussion of the work will be present.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » August 4th, 2012, 8:29 pm

My favorite egg bag routine is Dan Tong's. His routine is fairly short but entertaining. One or two spots fried me and his glass of liquid production at the end is superb.

Riser's routine is in Secrets of an Escamoteur.

Allen Tipton

Postby Allen Tipton » August 8th, 2012, 6:58 am

Guys--Joe is asking for advice on the BEST type of Egg Bag to use.
Lots of you tell him about brilliant routines.
He will, as with ALL the Classics of Magic need to develop HIS OWN routine.

Look at the 'The Egg Bag Book ' by John Novak.
1999 published by Stevens Magic Emporium. 104 pages on all kinds of Egg Bags with measurements on most.

I have owned several over the years. The Malini (never got on with this--fine if you have smaller hands) The Tarbell, several Zip Bottom ones, Ali Ben Ali (Magick Enterprises, Sheffield UK)this as a different size and placing of the ?.The late Len Belcher had a similar one. So I had one made with this different placing for very easy handling.

Len Belcher, (author, inventor, Abra magazine columnist)had one the same and published his children's routine in Abra. I have never seen an Egg Bag with the secret ? like this(except Ali Ben Ali's)advertised anywhere.

What you might do is: Go round the Dealer's at a Convention. Check out any Egg Bags they have. Ask if you can hold them, put your hand inside etc. This is what I always recommend for ANY of the Classic Props. Cups & Balls, Chop Cup, Linking Rings etc. You need to 'feel' the weight in the case of the latter props, see and handle the size. It will give you more idea of what SUITS you than any advice or dealers' adverts. Allen Tipton UK

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » August 8th, 2012, 12:07 pm

I would recommend the smallest bag . The less space, the more impossible it is to " hide" the egg.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » August 8th, 2012, 12:49 pm

Back in the mid 1960's when I was in college I decided to add the egg bag to my act. I never liked any of the available bags and designed my own. Since I had no access to a sewing machine then, I hand sewed the bag. I used it for probably 10 years or more. I still have it. Later on I had access to machines and made a new bag - same design for gimmick. I have never seen another bag like it for gimmick design.

After having used this bag for almost 40 years, I can say that it is perfect for me. Spectators handle the bag, reach in, remove egg etc. The secret something is impossible to see when everything is in operation.

The egg can be heavy. I use cast resin eggs made for me years ago. Since the spectators handle the egg, I like it to have heft like a normal egg.

The effect has always been a highlight of my act and never fizzled.

My bag is not super small and not black (original was black).

My point is simply that the type of bag must fit your style of working. I chose to design my own bag and adapt the bag rather than having to adapt to the bag design myself. The routine you want to do will affect which type of bag is best for you. A beautiful Malibu bag made by Lynetta just would not be as effective nor as fast as my design doing my routine.

Think before buying any bag.
Jim

Allen Tipton

Postby Allen Tipton » August 8th, 2012, 1:10 pm

I am glad Jim , you mentioned the Black Egg Bag.
For years it irked me. Obviously I come from the era where all magicians wore either black tails or more usually, a black Dinner Jacket (Tux). Thus the black bag submerged with the black outfit.
My first Egg Bag, at age 11 was red. And as it was war time, my mother lent me a real egg to work the trick with. It had to be carried to venues well wrapped in cotton wool, in a cardboard box! I never broke any egg she lent me. I have had black ones, purple ones, green ones and brown ones but the one I had made was maroon--less violent a colour than bright red. The material came from a production I was directing of Gilbert & Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance-- the maroon material was used to make the Pirates' doublets. I begged a length. One of our magician's wives, a seamstress, made the bag. Allen Tipton UK

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 8th, 2012, 1:17 pm

Some advocate the black bag because the shadows produced by the egg disappear against the black of the bag. Also, the trick is about the egg. Not the bag. It's a vanishing egg trick. The bag is part of the method and should thereby be Down played. The black of the bag against the black suit makes it less of an 'item' during the perotmance, and it allows the white of the egg to stand out. At least, that's what some advocate.

Allen Tipton

Postby Allen Tipton » August 8th, 2012, 1:35 pm

Brad, that may well be but as the bag is often on the move the attention IS on the Egg, plus the gags, the comedy biz, keep the attention there.I have never seen any 'shadows' sticking out bits or heard of any suspicion about the bag when it is handled in the right way by a competent performer. We all know(I hope) it is a Vanishing Egg BUT if the Bag is not made properly & the magician is not relaxed with his prop---well the attention may very well change to the bag whatever its colour. Personally I just do not like a bag which nearly disappears from view--black against black . This as I have said is a personal view. And the original post does ask for help/advice on the right/best kind of bag. Allen Tipton UK

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » August 8th, 2012, 1:48 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:Some advocate the black bag because the shadows produced by the egg disappear against the black of the bag. Also, the trick is about the egg. Not the bag. It's a vanishing egg trick. The bag is part of the method and should thereby be Down played. The black of the bag against the black suit makes it less of an 'item' during the perotmance, and it allows the white of the egg to stand out. At least, that's what some advocate.

Brad;
If you design the bag properly, there are no "shadows" to worry about. Black just is not as visible against dark clothing as other colors. Mine is a pleasing blue color. Too many follow along with such thinking about black bags. But then, most so called magicians are sheep. You do want a good contrast between the egg and bag but black in my opinion is not the best color.

There will be many quoting theory but experience performing with the effect is much more meaningful. I will state that Denny Haney does a great job with a black Malini bag.

In the end, if it works for you, go with it. I choose non-black and non-Malini.
Jim

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 8th, 2012, 1:48 pm

I don't see how the color of a bag impacts a gag or 'comedy'. I believe that strong magic presented well does not need to be propped up with lines and jokes. Miracles engage. When one places attention on the method, one dilutes a miracle to trick. Miracles can be funny. But there is more to art and entertainment than laughs. To each their own.

Joe Naud

Postby Joe Naud » August 8th, 2012, 4:38 pm

Brad, what got me interested in this in the first place was Jared Kopf's wonderful routine that I saw at Magic-con in February. No funny lines just a routine that looked magical. Again, thanks for all your input, please keep it coming as this has been a great help.
Thanks, Joe

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 8th, 2012, 5:02 pm

Jared and I use the same kind of bag - the secret is the material which is almost impossible to find. Now - if you happen to be left handed, I may have a wonderful opportunity for you.

The one I have is one of the original Ken Brooke's.

Joe Naud

Postby Joe Naud » August 8th, 2012, 5:19 pm

I'm a righty! Thanks none the less for the offer!

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 8th, 2012, 5:57 pm

I have several bags I do not use. I couple of tongs. A lyn busby. (was it lyn or Vicki?), a Jonathan Neal brown from hollywood magic, and one reputed to be a Thompson bag. Will you be at genii bash? I could bring them and if you liked one you could make me an offer.

Joe Naud

Postby Joe Naud » August 8th, 2012, 6:37 pm

Brad, thanks for the offer but I won't be at the Bash. Thanks again for the advice.
Joe

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 8th, 2012, 11:09 pm

Joe, too bad you're not coming to the Genii Bash, because Bob White will be performing that routine you admired when Jared did it--it's Bob's.

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » August 8th, 2012, 11:25 pm

I like black for two reasons,;

I talk to the audience about the contrast and impossibility of an egg being in the bag. The egg being white they would just have to see it if it were still in the bag.

I also perform another routine not with an egg, but with a hollow golf ball. Then the bag is not a bag. Rather it is the inside of a new magic design golf hole. I figure the inside of a hole should be black.

On other words I choose black for a reason other then it goes with my suit.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » August 9th, 2012, 11:41 am

Back when I was a junior magician (12 B.C.) I did the routine from MY BEST (Windsor's Egg Bag Routine pp. 341-345). It uses a rather odd egg bag that allows for an extra gag: whenever the spectator drops an egg in the bag, he misses and the egg falls on the floor.

When I did this, I didn't use an egg, I used a golf ball (because I used to follow this up with a multiplying golf ball effect). Also, rather than call the bag a "bag," I explained it was all that was left of a magician's tuxedo -- just the side pocket from the jacket. The guy had used the wrong magic word and made himself disappear -- except for the pocket.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”