History of Edward Victor's Bat Trick

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

History of Edward Victor's Bat Trick

Postby Q. Kumber » July 4th, 2012, 7:33 am

I am doing some research on Edward Victor's Bat Trick which later became better known with Jimmy Rogers' routine, I'll Start Again.

Can anyone point me to when it was either first released as a dealer item or if it were published by Victor?

Thank you in advance.

Bob Postelnik

Re: History of Edward Victor's Bat Trick

Postby Bob Postelnik » July 4th, 2012, 9:45 am

There are a few "Bat" routines by Victor in the chapter titled "Classic Routines - All those Bats" starting on page 29 in the book The Magic of Edward Victor's Hands by Rae Hammond.
Life is a journey, so do not arrive at your grave safe and in a well preserved body. Enjoy the Ride!

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » July 5th, 2012, 1:00 pm

Thank you Bob.

BarryAllen
Favorite Magician: Joe Riding & Chan Cansta.

Postby BarryAllen » August 7th, 2012, 10:07 pm

A further point of reference, re: Edward Victor can be found in his booklet 'More Magic Of The Hands Part 2' (pages 140-141) released by Davenports, London in 1938. Here, Edward Victor explains an effect titled 'An Impromptu Knife And Salt Trick' whereby salt poured onto a table knife vanishes and re-appears at random. The actual effect is, in some ways, very similar to the 'I'll Start Again' plot.

The first time that the Jimmy Rogers trick 'I'll start Again' was marketed within the UK, was by the Kaymar Magic Company in the early 1950's. Kaymar was owned by Harry Baron and Joe Stuthard (and took the company name from Joe's wife KAY, and Harry's wife MARgaret). Formed over 60 years ago, it was one of their first tricks released. In fact, Kaymar used to have one of Jimmy's actual bats on display in their studio when the shop was in Essex. Just to add that the Kaymar instruction sheet has been copied by other dealers many times since.

The last performer that I knew who used this regularly in his professional work was Joe Riding. Joe had a different spin on the effect and this was outlined within his 'Close Up Magic Course' in 1996.

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » August 8th, 2012, 7:37 am

Many thanks Barry.
Quentin

John Bowden
Location: Main Street, Urlingford, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland, E41 Y9K2.

Postby John Bowden » August 8th, 2012, 6:26 pm

Was Harry's wife not named MARy ?
An article in an old Linking Ring refers to her as Mary.

Cheers from the Emerald Isle,
John Bowden ...............I've been wrong before.

BarryAllen
Favorite Magician: Joe Riding & Chan Cansta.

Postby BarryAllen » August 9th, 2012, 10:43 am

You could be right John.

Just to add that Ken Brooke used to dem 'I'll Start Again' brilliantly. Would we have expected anything less? ;)

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”