Max Maven – Off Broadway

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Max Maven – Off Broadway

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 21st, 2012, 8:12 pm

Mark your calendars: Starting June 12 and running through July 1, Max Maven will appear at the Abington Theatre Arts Complex off Broadway in NYC.

The show, Thinking in Person, will be directed by Alexander Marshall (we know him better as Sandy). And though it has the same name, Sandy tells me that there is a new set by Alan E. Muraoka, lighting by Jules Fisher, and other changes to the production (includinghis wordsa 100-percent increase in the number of cast members). What's that mean? Ya gotta love a mystery to find out!

Information and tickets can be found at http://www.maxmavenoffbroadway.com

Dustin Stinett

Re: Max Maven – Off Broadway

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 8th, 2012, 5:44 pm

June 12th is just around the corner, and that is Opening Night for Max Maven: Thinking in Person off Broadway at the Abington Theatre Arts Complex! Details and tickets can be found here:

http://www.maxmavenoffbroadway.com

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 12th, 2012, 6:42 pm

Tonight is the opening (officially a "preview"). I hear tonight is sold out, but the show runs through July 1!

Steven Keyl

Postby Steven Keyl » June 12th, 2012, 6:50 pm

I'll be attending the show tomorrow. Should be good.
Steven Keyl - Magic Book Report

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 12th, 2012, 7:01 pm

Max talks about the show in his audio column "Speaking of Max" in the digital version of the July issue of Genii.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » June 12th, 2012, 11:10 pm

I have seen the show multiple times in LA. I highly recommend it.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 15th, 2012, 12:29 pm

The official opening night was last night (Thursday). Here's a review from Times Square Chronicles:

http://t2conline.com/max-maven-thinking ... s-minds-2/

Steven Keyl

Postby Steven Keyl » June 15th, 2012, 12:51 pm

I attended the show two nights ago. It was excellent. Very heady stuff. Makes you think. Sometimes about the nature of reality or the nature of truth, and sometimes he makes you think "what the hell is he talking about!"
Steven Keyl - Magic Book Report

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » June 15th, 2012, 12:56 pm

I saw the show in London -- it is amazing, heady stuff. Don't miss it.

Matt Field

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » June 15th, 2012, 2:50 pm

Wish I was able to get out to see this, but it doesn't look like it'll happen. Blergh.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 15th, 2012, 3:16 pm

One of the things to keep in mind is that even if you have seen Max's show in the past you have not seen this show. For the first time he has a set (designed by Alan E. Muraoka) and the lighting for this edition is designed by theater legend Jules Fisher. And, with Sandy Marshall directing, there have been some other changes. I've a couple of versions of this show, but I'm hoping that this one comes west!

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 16th, 2012, 11:17 pm

More good pressand some photos from the opening night partyfor Max Maven's show:

http://offbroadway.broadwayworld.com/ar ... y-20120615

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » June 17th, 2012, 2:38 am

I believe that one's a reprinted press release...

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 17th, 2012, 4:21 am

The photos are from opening night. The text might be a press release, but that still makes it "good press" (and therefore good publicity for the show, which is the point).

Gary Brown

Postby Gary Brown » June 24th, 2012, 1:51 am

Just caught the show this evening. Several notables in the audience, including Eugene Burger and Steve Rodman.

Max is amazing. I brought three non-magicians with me, and they couldn't get over it. For the magicians, it's a stark demonstration of how one really makes magic. It's a very limited run, so don't miss it.

Gary Brown

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » June 29th, 2012, 9:28 am

I saw the show last night along with a dozen or so magician friends that included Meir Yedid, Alain Nu, Brett Schulman, John Born, Bob Baker, Ken Weber, Nick Bell, Rich Kameda, Mike Patrick and Dave Ferst.

I originally saw the show back in 2006 in Toronto and loved it. The show was Max at his finest. Smart, mysterious, funny, impressive and most importantly entertaining.

This 2012 incarnation of, Max Maven Thinking in Person directed by Sandy Marshall, has some interesting changes to the show. First of all the stage setting designed by Alan E. Muraoka and the lighting design by Jules Fisher, really add immensely to the overall experience of the show. Then of course you add the exceptional performance of Max Maven and you have what the New York Times said is a, category-defying mind reading show that veers into conceptual art.

Max stated to me at dinner after the show that he had indeed made some updates to the show since 2006. I can attest that the show flowed even better this time. As I expressed to him on the walk back to his NYC residence, intelligent shows like his raise the perception of the art form in the minds of the general public. Id go as far as to say that this is not only the best I have seen Max Maven in performance, Id say its the best mentalist show I have ever seen.

There are ONLY four performances left, one tonight (Friday 6/29/12), two on Saturday (6/30/12) and one on Sunday (7/1/12). If you are in the NYC area and have not seen this show, what are you waiting for? Do what you have to do and go see this show. I guarantee you will be delighted that you did!

Eric DeCamps
Last edited by Eric DeCamps on June 29th, 2012, 11:28 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Stop Using Large Fonts

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 29th, 2012, 11:30 am

I saw the show the other night--a full house, and Max was great. He managed something that mentalists treasure: getting big applause for being close to, but not on the mark, of doing a drawing duplication in his blindfold routine. It was a lesson in presentation and audience management.

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » June 29th, 2012, 4:43 pm

Max invited me (and others) onstage to participate with his keys/lock effect. After the show some people asked me essentially if I'd been "stooged". I told them no and I think they were even more perplexed. I'm certain there are no stooges in the show. And don't forget, just 4 shows to go.
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 29th, 2012, 6:18 pm

No, there are no stooges. The lock trick fooled me as well.

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » June 29th, 2012, 9:13 pm

"close to, but not on the mark, of doing a drawing duplication"

That's the way to do it, though just how to "imperfect" it is not so clear. No doubt Max hits just the right register.

David Oliver

Postby David Oliver » June 30th, 2012, 1:21 am

I was there the same night as the head Genii, and I also thought it was a stupendous show. The material was strong, the set uncluttered yet intriguing, the lighting was spot on (I especially enjoyed one moment when Max stood behind a seated spectator, and only his hands and trademark peak were lit - pure genius of design and branding), and Max was warm, engaging and more than comfortable in the setting. The one thing that this show certainly proved to anyone who was paying attention, is that it is ALL about personality and showmanship. Max's handling of every situation was flawless. Others would have crumbled at the thought of holding a "certain quiet" moment as long as he did. However, in his hands, pure brilliance. One word - "begets." Loved it. This is one of the few shows I've ever seen that exceeds expectations. (If you are in NYC over the next two days - SEE this show before it closes!) Sandy and Susan Marshall were splendid hosts as usual and unbelievably attentive. (Thank you!) Bumped into a number of friends and magic-types in the lobby, including Marc Salem, Vinny DePonto, Joe Que, RK and others. Capped off the evening over a late-night (and into the wee hours) dinner with Max, getting reacquainted with and spending some long-overdue quality time with the man himself. We reminisced about common threads in our lives, old show-biz stories, filled in some blanks and more. A truly pleasant, and unexpected treat, indeed. (Thanks, again, Max!)

If you have the chance, you only have two days left - GO!
- DO

Scott M.

Postby Scott M. » June 30th, 2012, 11:28 am

Saw the show last night and, as others have posted here, it's excellent. The highest compliment I can pay it is that while the routines were all very good, I left thinking about the theatrical character of himself that Max has created, that character's exploration in the show of perception and philosophy, and how all of it is tempered by both wit and dashes of self-deprecating humor.

There are three shows left.

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » June 30th, 2012, 11:48 am

Here's a clip from an earlier incarnation of the show (2007):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa_KdFzogm8

See it.
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Sean-Dylan

Postby Sean-Dylan » June 30th, 2012, 6:46 pm

Eric DeCamps talked me into seeing it tomorrow (the last performance). I am looking forward to it!

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » July 1st, 2012, 12:36 am

But how is his ambitious card?

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » July 1st, 2012, 1:33 am

El Harvey Oswald wrote:But how is his ambitious card?

Not nearly as good as his balloon animals.
Last edited by Don Hendrix on July 1st, 2012, 4:26 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: :)

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » July 1st, 2012, 4:27 pm

Oh my God I nearly spit diet coke all over my keyboard. El Harvey you killed me with that Ambitious card remark!
Joe

Return to “Buzz”