Ultimate Book Test

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
theamazingsteveo

Re: Ultimate Book Test

Postby theamazingsteveo » June 14th, 2012, 12:23 am

Sorry Mr. Goat ... I don't have a twitter or rss feed.

- Steve

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » June 14th, 2012, 5:02 am

Steve -- you might want to look up the word 'irony' in one of your books.

Matt Field

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 14th, 2012, 6:00 am

theamazingsteveo wrote:Sorry Mr. Goat ... I don't have a twitter or rss feed.

- Steve

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » June 14th, 2012, 12:27 pm

So *this* is what Lovick showed RK? I was a bit slow figuring that out.

$80 is a lot, and I am also having a difficult time thinking of a plausible reason for looking at the I-phone. And that an I-phone would contain not just nine books but hundreds of books -- and it has access to essentially all information, ever, as well -- seems to make it exactly the kind of thing you don't want to be looking at when you're pretending to read someone's mind/divine unknown information.

That said, the explicit RK and implicit Lovick recommendations are compelling.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 14th, 2012, 12:41 pm

El Harvey Oswald wrote:So *this* is what Lovick showed RK? I was a bit slow figuring that out.

$80 is a lot, and I am also having a difficult time thinking of a plausible reason for looking at the I-phone. And that an I-phone would contain not just nine books but hundreds of books -- and it has access to essentially all information, ever, as well -- seems to make it exactly the kind of thing you don't want to be looking at when you're pretending to read someone's mind/divine unknown information.

That said, the explicit RK and implicit Lovick recommendations are compelling.

I'm bringing out a MAXO version of this, where you take your laptop out, ask people to ask you any question, then you go to wikipedia and answer it.

Hidden in plain sight.

Yes, OK, it takes some presentational balls to pull it off, but the script included with the effect, and the laptop, totally justifies the $8,985 price tag, imho.

I'll be selling them at the Genii Bash. First come, first served.

PS I will also post updates about it 5 times a day.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 14th, 2012, 12:56 pm

No, that's not what John Lovick showed me. This is it:
http://iphonemagicapps.com/Magic/Home.html

"Email Wizard" is the name of the app.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 14th, 2012, 12:59 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:No, that's not what John Lovick showed me. This is it:
http://iphonemagicapps.com/Magic/Home.html

"Email Wizard" is the name of the app.

Just totally bought that. Looks sensational!

Thanks!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 14th, 2012, 1:21 pm

Oh my sweet baby Jebers, the app Lovick showed Kaufman is ridiculous. It is SO SO SO SO SO SO clever. Got iDoodle? Think it's it, this pisses all over it.

No doubt, just from reading how it works, this is the most versatile, most amazing iPhone app ever. NB, to be clear, not the one this thread is about, but the one RK links to above.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 14th, 2012, 1:28 pm

It really beat the hell out of me.
But, the downside is that I find the instructions to be pretty complex and so even though I paid for and downloaded it, I've never tried it because there seem to be so many parameters to set.

theamazingsteveo

Postby theamazingsteveo » June 14th, 2012, 1:35 pm

Take a look at Mental Killer by my friend Max Krause ...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mental-k ... 10202?mt=8

He sold 5000+ copies of this in the App Store.

VERY POWERFUL! The reactions are out of this world.

BTW, if you pair Evolution by Promystic and Banacheks Portfolio with UBT you have a miracle on your hands.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 14th, 2012, 1:37 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:It really beat the hell out of me.
But, the downside is that I find the instructions to be pretty complex and so even though I paid for and downloaded it, I've never tried it because there seem to be so many parameters to set.

Maybe it's because I'm geek, but I found it very simple. Just tried all three modes and found it easy. You don't really have to change the default settings unless you want to.

I didn't just now and it all worked. It kinda reads like you have to do lots of prep work, but you don't, you can just use the defaults and it is just just amazing. I am giddy at the possibilities.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 14th, 2012, 2:37 pm

Goat, maybe you'll give me a lesson in Orlando.

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » June 14th, 2012, 3:54 pm

It's fairly straightforward, though I can see how the instructions might be difficult to follow. Richard, I'd suggest that you view the video instructions, which are on YouTube, with a direct link from the app.

It's good for all the reasons noted. However, when I send a message to my I-Phone, it just doesn't work. Everything is there -- except the purported attachment/prediction. Works fine on my laptop, though that's of course not the device people are typically traveling around with. Pretty big gap if you have to worry about it not working with particular I-Phones, much less all of them. Also, the text message that motivates a -- the -- key action appears to be unreliable. This all might be confined to my somewhat less than state-of-the-art IPhone. Even so, I suspect there are others like mine, and I gather it doesn't work on Blackberries.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 14th, 2012, 5:10 pm

I have an iPhone 4S, or something like that, and so I was able to receive and properly view the email when it was done to me. I always had a "not" iPhone before this.

I'll try and find time to watch the instructions.

Thanks.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 14th, 2012, 5:22 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Goat, maybe you'll give me a lesson in Orlando.

I'd be honoured.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 14th, 2012, 5:27 pm

El Harvey Oswald wrote:It's fairly straightforward, though I can see how the instructions might be difficult to follow. Richard, I'd suggest that you view the video instructions, which are on YouTube, with a direct link from the app.

It's good for all the reasons noted. However, when I send a message to my I-Phone, it just doesn't work. Everything is there -- except the purported attachment/prediction. Works fine on my laptop, though that's of course not the device people are typically traveling around with. Pretty big gap if you have to worry about it not working with particular I-Phones, much less all of them. Also, the text message that motivates a -- the -- key action appears to be unreliable. This all might be confined to my somewhat less than state-of-the-art IPhone. Even so, I suspect there are others like mine, and I gather it doesn't work on Blackberries.

Did you see the part in the instructions about the option on downloading image attachments? Sounds like you have that turned off to me...Works fine for me

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » June 15th, 2012, 12:29 am

I suppose I saw it, but like many things it clearly didn't take. Thanks for the suggestion.

I did gather than just by using the default settings things on the phone would look just like they do on my laptop. To clarify: It works fine on my laptop, not at all on the phone, though. Therefore, do I need to attend to the "downloading image attachments" to make work on the phone, as well?

Again thanks for the advice, and the consistently thoughtful and entertaining posts.

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » June 15th, 2012, 12:34 am

Fixed; exactly as Mr. Goat suggested. My confusion was that I needed to turn on a setting connected to the phone, not the app. Likely never would have figured that out on my own.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 15th, 2012, 3:21 am

El Harvey Oswald wrote:Fixed; exactly as Mr. Goat suggested. My confusion was that I needed to turn on a setting connected to the phone, not the app. Likely never would have figured that out on my own.

Glad to be of service, Sir.

Steven Keyl

Postby Steven Keyl » June 15th, 2012, 9:44 am

I've been using Email Wizard for about 8 months now and it is an absolute killer of an app. Until this thread it was one of the best unknown magic apps out there. I only use "drawing mode" anymore. I actually use this as the third phase of a three-phase mind control (or suggestion) routine.

Great stuff.
Steven Keyl - Magic Book Report

AJM

Postby AJM » June 15th, 2012, 5:23 pm

I'm definitely going to try it out - I agree with Damian that iDoodle has been the previous benchmark for magic apps so this seems very promising.

A wee bit pricey thought - however if it's as good as it seems it will be well worth it.

Cheers

Andrew

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » June 15th, 2012, 5:27 pm

Richard, I was there at Magic Con--that was Karl Hein who was nailing folks with this app, and now would everybody please shut up about it?

CraigOusterling
Favorite Magician: All the dead ones.

Postby CraigOusterling » June 15th, 2012, 5:36 pm

It was great fun when Karl did this for Cyril the last night of Magic Con. This is a paraphrase but CLOSE to what Karl said...

*Karl does trick*

*Cyril looks around and then at ceiling for hidden cameras*

Karl says, "Dude you work on TV too much"

Was a hilarious laugh. and a GREAT trick.

theamazingsteveo

Postby theamazingsteveo » June 20th, 2012, 11:35 am

Here are some recent comments from people that purchased UBT in the Apple App Store:

TonyBrand - Version 1.0 - May 11, 2012
"A wonderful addition to the professional mentalist's repertoire. Highly recommended and worth the cost!"

en2oh - Version 1.3 - Jun 18, 2012
"Brilliant piece of software. Will let you make miracles out of your book tests. Simply brilliant! Thanks"

SeanGiles - Version 1.0 - May 9, 2012
"This is great on so many levels. What a genius idea! I can't recommend this enough, but only to serious practitioners of the art."

All 5 star ratings so far.

Max Krause recently came up with a presentation that uses UBT, Promystic Evolution and MD. Absolute Genius Work!

- Steve

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 20th, 2012, 12:31 pm

theamazingsteveo wrote:Here are some recent comments from people that purchased UBT in the Apple App Store:

TonyBrand - Version 1.0 - May 11, 2012
"A wonderful addition to the professional mentalist's repertoire. Highly recommended and worth the cost!"

en2oh - Version 1.3 - Jun 18, 2012
"Brilliant piece of software. Will let you make miracles out of your book tests. Simply brilliant! Thanks"

SeanGiles - Version 1.0 - May 9, 2012
"This is great on so many levels. What a genius idea! I can't recommend this enough, but only to serious practitioners of the art."

All 5 star ratings so far.

Max Krause recently came up with a presentation that uses UBT, Promystic Evolution and MD. Absolute Genius Work!

- Steve

Yet, oddly, no stars on the itunes store and only 1 review, of the old version...

theamazingsteveo

Postby theamazingsteveo » June 20th, 2012, 2:47 pm

Hi Mr. Goat,

in iTunes you need to select each country .. there is one from Germany, one from UK, one from Canada and one from US.

Here are some screen captures .. they might not be posted yet for the public .. but WILL be when apple gets around to it:

http://www.ultimatebooktest.com/c1.jpg
http://www.ultimatebooktest.com/c2.jpg
http://www.ultimatebooktest.com/c3.jpg
http://www.ultimatebooktest.com/c4.jpg

These above images are from my developers control panel from itunes connect.

theamazingsteveo

Postby theamazingsteveo » June 20th, 2012, 3:30 pm

Thank you Mr. Kaufman for the review/description of UBT in July 2012 Genii! My subscription just ran out and I resubscribed. I really enjoy the digitial version on my new 3rd gen ipad.

- Steve

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 20th, 2012, 3:32 pm

No need to thank me: I just send the items out for review. David Regal liked your trick.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 20th, 2012, 6:47 pm

theamazingsteveo wrote:Hi Mr. Goat,

in iTunes you need to select each country .. there is one from Germany, one from UK, one from Canada and one from US.

Here are some screen captures .. they might not be posted yet for the public .. but WILL be when apple gets around to it:

http://www.ultimatebooktest.com/c1.jpg
http://www.ultimatebooktest.com/c2.jpg
http://www.ultimatebooktest.com/c3.jpg
http://www.ultimatebooktest.com/c4.jpg

These above images are from my developers control panel from itunes connect.

Awesome.

I'd love to see them use it and discover how they hide how you are just reading an iOS device.

theamazingsteveo

Postby theamazingsteveo » June 20th, 2012, 7:01 pm

I have permission from Paul Romhany to post this review:

App reviewed in V2 of www.VanishMagazine.com
Reviewed by Paul Romhany

UBT for Professional Mentalists and Magicians V1.1

By Steven Skindell
DESCRIPTION:

UBT is known as the Ultimate Book Test. It is a sophisticated tool used for professional mentalists and magicians. The app is used to view on an ipod/iphone the same information that a spectator is reading in a selected book and page (there are 7 books a spectator can choose from -- Dracula, Frankenstein, Of Mice and Men, Animal Farm, Robinson Crusoe, Persuasion and War of the Worlds -- all paperback books are old well known classics.

On the screen the mentalist inputs the book, the page number and presses the Go button ... the text of that selected book and page then starts scrolling on the screen like a teleprompter. The mentalist can than read what is on the screen without user input and guide the spectator to look at specific section on their selected page .. and then the mentalist talks about an image he/she is getting from the spectators mind.

A LITTLE HISTORY ON THE APP:

The Ultimate Book Test was first published in 2007. It was developed using a Windows Phone. Five Classic Books were used and it was a complete package that sold for $1100.00. The program would display on the screen inputs for the book selected by a spectator, the page number and the line number.

The windows phone was embedded in a clipboard paper well ... the papers at the bottom of the clipboard would have a hole in it where the phone would reside.

The phone was covered by a few blank sheets of paper. The paper and clipboard was used beforehand with real writing with a pen to condition the audience that it was a normal clipboard with paper.

The latest version of the book test was developed for the iPhone/iPod/iPad and the Android devices. Based on some great recommendations from Max Krause this version uses NO line numbers. Paragraph markers are used to navigate the spectator to a section on the page where you want them to start reading. A teleprompter like display scrolls the page on the screen. You use a pen/stylus to navigate the book, page number and the area where you want the spectator to start reading.

UBT Version 1.1 for the Apple devices includes the following seven books in the software: Animal Farm, Persuasion (a love story), Frankenstein, Dracula, War of the Worlds, Robinson Crusoe and of Mice and Men. This version is available now for Android devices with 480 x 800 screen resolutions. You will need to purchase your own physical books as well as your own device.

MY THOUGHTS:
In my opinion the best use of an iPhone/Pad/Touch application is when the trick doesnt happen on the device. I much prefer using it as a hidden tool to get the information I need. With this incredible book test application you can do exactly that. The instructions show how to put your device in a pad of paper so it is never seen. I have an old iTouch I never use, so it has now become dedicated to this trick.

Imagine a spectator having a free choice of book, any word, any line and you know exactly what they are looking at. I really do feel this could very well be the ultimate book test. It is so easy to use, and the information is instant. Its what you could call real time reading. What the spectator is reading in their book, you are seeing on your device. If it were any better then youd really be able to read their minds. The updated version means you dont need them to tell you the lines they are looking at.

Another aspect of this that really excites me is that some top professionals are using it, and coming up with amazing routines. Imagine not evening having to see what book they have chosen, yet still be able to use this application. The possibilities are endless, and Steven seems to be adding more books.

WHAT ELSE YOU WILL NEED:

You will need to supply the EXACT books for this to work. The ISBN numbers are supplied, but it is important you get the correct ones. All the information you need to purchase these from Amazon are in the help file. The books can be purchased for as little as a few dollars each. Remember, these are REAL books that arent gimmicked in any way.

A nice bonus is that you get access to a private forum where others who have purchased this app talk about their own routines, share tips and hints on using it. Some of the ideas are ground-breaking for mentalism. What is nice about the latest update is that it includes feminine style books, as well as masculine. I think it is important to have books that appeal to both sexes.

FINAL THOUGHTS: This very well may be the ultimate book test. I have added this to my own professional repertoire, and it has become a highlight of the act. Not only do the audience love it, but I love performing it. It is easy to use, and with the free choices it is as close to the real deal as you could get. With this application you are only limited by your imagination.

COST: $79.99
AVAILABLE FROM THE iTunes STORE

http://www.ultimatebooktest.com/

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » June 20th, 2012, 8:11 pm

Always a pleasure to see this thread revived.

theamazingsteveo

Postby theamazingsteveo » June 20th, 2012, 8:34 pm

Hi Harvey,

You should see the one on themagiccafe.com ... it's been going since 2007!

- Steve

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » June 20th, 2012, 8:54 pm

sounds great

theamazingsteveo

Postby theamazingsteveo » July 7th, 2012, 5:30 am

Anybody using Promystic's Evolution with UBT?

Max Krause wrote up a routine ... very very nice! Genius!

- Steve

theamazingsteveo

Notice to all Ultimate Book Test Purchasers

Postby theamazingsteveo » April 1st, 2013, 8:36 pm

Great News!

theory11 has purchased and now owns all rights to the Ultimate Book Test (both Android and Apple Versions).

theory11 will be adding new books and updating the software with new additions
and modifications in the future.

The Ultimate Book Test has been taken off the Apple Store, the Google Play Store and
the Amazon store but will be posted by the new owner in the future.

Please watch this thread in the future regarding any announcements from theory11.

Thank you,
Steven Skindell

Return to “Buzz”