Real Secrets Trick of the Month Club...

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Don Hendrix

Re: Real Secrets Trick of the Month Club...

Postby Don Hendrix » April 29th, 2012, 1:40 am

Number two also arrived in Tucson today, and I like it. Very nice update to an old principle. I am very likely to use this one. If you like surprises, you really should sign up while you still can. I believe that we are receiving good value for our money.

Terry Oberman

Postby Terry Oberman » April 30th, 2012, 4:04 pm

I just received the new Real Secrets effect. My immediate reaction- Excellent! I will use this. Totally organic. Another home run.

Got to love Real Secrets!

Terry

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 30th, 2012, 6:48 pm

Showed up in DC today. If you watch my More Genii Speaks video in the May issue, I read aloud a brochure that was being given out to everyone who attended Magic-Con.

It's a flyer selling subs to Real Secrets, and it has the names of contributors on one side, and apparently random items on the other side. I can't say more than that, but things are as advertised.

The second one is as clever as the first. No, it's better than the first. Again, this is worth double the low price I paid of $12.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 30th, 2012, 6:53 pm

Oh: Real Secrets members should check out the blog because there's a new handling for item one that was posted just a few days ago.

John McDonald

Postby John McDonald » May 1st, 2012, 3:45 pm

Richard you are right. The latest handling is fantastic!
Best John

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 1st, 2012, 3:48 pm

I like it because even a person who has zero memory capcity, like myself, and whose mathematical abilites are also near zero, can do this effect. And it must be miraculous to a laymen. Going to try it on the missus in the next few days.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 1st, 2012, 8:03 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Oh: Real Secrets members should check out the blog because there's a new handling for item one that was posted just a few days ago.

That last handling is brilliant...definately value added. Really glad I signed up for this.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » May 3rd, 2012, 10:31 am

Without notice, the blog has been wiped.

Did anyone save a local copy?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 3rd, 2012, 10:56 am

Could be a glitch, or an error, or just a message that stuff isn't going to stay up there very long. Wait and see if it comes back in a few days.

I saved it, however I can't share it. I believe that would be against the rules.

Ted M

Postby Ted M » May 3rd, 2012, 11:20 am

Posting it publicly would be against the rules.

I sent email to the anonymous administrator and asked. It's not a technical glitch or an accident. They apparently plan to erase the so-called "blog" (even though a "log" is an accumulated, recorded history) at the end of each month.

Yes, possibly even before some overseas members have even received their shipment. I notice Matt Field says he received his on April 24. That means he had a window of less than a week to evaluate and make use of the blog entries before they suddenly vanished without warning.

I suggested compiling and sending each month's posted entries to subscribers via (e)mail, and was rebuffed.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » May 3rd, 2012, 11:21 am

I fortunately printed out the blog to file it with the trick. Whew!

Matt Field

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 3rd, 2012, 11:44 am

Yes, I received the message from on high:

"The Blog is becoming Notes. Every month at the release of a new item the previous Notes will be deleted."

It really would have been nice to warn people so they could save it if desired.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 3rd, 2012, 12:54 pm

Now if only the posts about unobtainable items would vanish as well.
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on May 3rd, 2012, 12:59 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: the posts are not pointless -as future readers can point them out in wonder
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 3rd, 2012, 1:39 pm

Lousy customer service/communication for those who might not have downloaded the "notes"/blog/etc. before it's deleted.

They probably don't want to make it easy for anyone to download all the notes at once and bundle them with the props for sale on e-bay (which is going to happen anyway).

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » May 3rd, 2012, 1:51 pm

Through my own fault and being busy, I didn't keep up with the blog, so now that's lost.

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » May 3rd, 2012, 1:54 pm

Personally I think this just adds more value for the people who have made the initial investment. I saved the blog notes because it seemed like the right thing to do so I could store them with the included instructions and props in the provided envelopes.

The real irony about online communication/technology when applied to secrets is that hard copies and mail-order correspondence with the contract NOT to post anything on youtube, chat rooms, or any other public forums ensures the effect's long shelf-life and exclusivity. The problem with new tricks going online is the viral nature of the internet beast. When select secrets remain just that, there is value and ownership for those who subscribed and made the pledge.

The Real Secrets is the best thing to come out in a long time and I hope the run will be a long one. As for people re-selling, I think it would be their loss as already stated above this is premium quality for your dollar.

Perhaps they could provide a consistent cut-off date in the future so people who have that particular installment can save a copy before it becomes deleted.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 3rd, 2012, 2:13 pm

Edward Pungot wrote:...I think this just adds more value for the people who have made the initial investment...

When select secrets remain just that, there is value and ownership for those who subscribed and made the pledge....

Perhaps they could provide a consistent cut-off date in the future so people who have that particular installment can save a copy before it becomes deleted.

Agreed.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 3rd, 2012, 2:18 pm

It's just a matter of informing your customers that if they want to save X information, they need to do it by a certain date. Common courtesy.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 3rd, 2012, 2:31 pm

? looks like a niche for an aftermarket: their "notes" and additional yahoo group discussion of the material content.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Dave V

Postby Dave V » May 3rd, 2012, 2:43 pm

That's enough for me.

Bye Bye RS.
"I still play with a full deck, I just shuffle slower"

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » May 3rd, 2012, 3:01 pm

Apparently RK is the key to the mystery:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... rum=218&14

Ted M

Postby Ted M » May 3rd, 2012, 3:38 pm

Tom Gilbert wrote:Through my own fault and being busy, I didn't keep up with the blog, so now that's lost.

Failing to vigilantly check a website for unannounced updates with surprise expiration dates is in no way any subscriber's fault.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 3rd, 2012, 3:56 pm

I posted this over there:

I can say in all honesty that I it has never been confirmed to me who is behind Real Secrets. When I have questions, I write to the same Real Secrets email address as everyone else. The answers always come back from "The Real Secrets Team."

So, I can assure you that it's not me. I have more than enough to do with getting Genii out every month, putting on a whopper of a convention, and trying to finish up my next two books! Not me. I swear.

I have my suspicions about who the people are behind Real Secrets (more than one person), but I do not know for certain.

Regarding the first two releases: Considering the price ($12 a month if you signed up early; $15 a month if you signed up later) I think the first two tricks are great. I mean, really, when was the last time you could buy a great trick for $15 that was as good as either one of these? Not for decades. The price is exceedingly fair. It's better than fair: it's a bargain. I paid just like everyone else--no freebie! So if I thought it was crap, I'd tell you.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the releases this year.

As for "Weber's Wallet," which I both wrote about and spoke about in Genii, it is an item that I had been led to believe will be available through Real Secrets at some point. But that may not be true. Weber is one of the contributors to Real Secrets, and the website states that Real Secrets will sometimes have items for sale exclusively to members from the contributors. I think that's pretty straightforward. "Weber's Wallet" is cool as hell!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 3rd, 2012, 3:59 pm

I agree with Ted M. When an addition is made to the blog, an email should be sent to all Real Secrets subscribers alerting them to the fact so they can take a look. Putting the burden on us to check every day, or every week, when often there is nothing new is not customer-friendly.

I admire what the Real Secrets people are trying to do, but they're being somewhat clumsy about it because they're not expert in retailing.

Dave V

Postby Dave V » May 3rd, 2012, 4:03 pm

The one thing they are good at is responding to cancellation requests. I just got a polite letter stating they will refund my subscription and cancel my account. That was immediately followed by a PayPal notice confirming it.

Now, if they were only that good at keeping customers...

Dave V

Postby Dave V » May 3rd, 2012, 4:09 pm

One more thing. If you choose to cancel your subscription, remember to go to your PayPal profile and cancel the auto-renew subscription otherwise you might get a nasty surprise next year when you find yourself paying again for a service you didn't use.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 3rd, 2012, 4:33 pm

Dave, you're free to do as you like, but you honestly didn't think the first two tricks were worth $12 each?

Dave V

Postby Dave V » May 3rd, 2012, 4:41 pm

My cancellation had nothing to do with their product, and had all to do with customer service.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » May 3rd, 2012, 4:44 pm

The magic bunny guys are convinced you, Richard, really do not care for the Real Secrets product but have carefully worded your statement to obscure your actual disappointment.

They seem to be operating from the position that anyone who likes a Real Secrets product is a brainwashed victim of the emperor's new clothes syndrome. Interestingly, those who KNOW that the tricks are derivative and terrible, and that Real Secrets is a scam, believe they are engaged in logical and reasonable discourse - in spite of the fact they are neither members nor know anything about the products in question.

It's amazing how much magicians hate secrets. I guess now they know how many laymen feel.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 3rd, 2012, 4:48 pm

Dave V wrote:My cancellation had nothing to do with their product, and had all to do with customer service.

? why not just sit back and enjoy the monthly goodies?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 3rd, 2012, 5:03 pm

Why would I have "carefully worded my statement to obscure ... disappointment"?

Real Secrets is not advertising in Genii. I have no business connections to the people I suspect are behind the company. What the heck do I care? And I actually paid good old US buckaroos for it--if I wasn't happy with what I got for my $12 each month so far, what would prevent me from saying so?

Nothing "carefully worded" about this: I think the tricks are damn clever and worth far more than the asking price. Feed that to the bunny.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 3rd, 2012, 5:10 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:... It's amazing how much magicians hate secrets. I guess now they know how many laymen feel.

IMHO the "hate" is not directed at the exclusive aspect of the product and instead at the tease/taunting going on about it.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » May 3rd, 2012, 5:11 pm

It made no sense to me either. Just letting you know your name was once again invoked. Not a member. (Had an account there AGES ago but no clue what the name let alone password would be) or would feed the bunny as per request.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » May 3rd, 2012, 5:15 pm

JT, Do you see a lot of teasing and taunting? I haven't seen any here - and as the Cafe is riddled with "children" I am reluctant to make judgements based on the behaviors I've seen there. Having said that, I thought the controversy was that the one "taunter" turned out not even to be a member.

Someone compared the anger here to that which occurred when McBride asked Mystery School people to keep things secret and Kohler demanded an agreement before selling the FK holdout. The Magic Cafe crowd feels they deserve to be told everything, that every trick they see, hear, or read about is theirs for the taking.

Cafe Magicians hate to be told "no."

Now they know how their audiences feel, yes?

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » May 3rd, 2012, 6:15 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:? why not just sit back and enjoy the monthly goodies?

Some of us regard the mis-representations within the RS announcements made prior to the inauguration of the actual service, and their apparent disdain toward their subscribers and would-be subscribers, as evidence of a lack of integrity on the part of whoever is "running the show." We choose not to do business with that sort. (I have no wish to start an argument about my assertions. I am expressing my personal view.)

I can subscribe to Genii, Magic and pay for a membership to the S.A.M. (with M-U-M) for the cost of a 1 year subscription to RS. In my opinion that is a better choice.

It makes me happy to know that those who remain subscribers are satisfied with the products. I actually like the concept of this service. I just disagree with the way they run things.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 3rd, 2012, 7:36 pm

Speaking of Weber's Wallet:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Michael-Webers- ... 2a1cf3e322

At $180 and reserve not met yet.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » May 3rd, 2012, 8:18 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Speaking of Weber's Wallet:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Michael-Webers- ... 2a1cf3e322

At $180 and reserve not met yet.

Strange, the write up says he paid $150 and that that is the reserve. Sellers remorse?

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 3rd, 2012, 8:56 pm

Richard:
I went back and checked the ad:

It reads: "I bought it for 150.00 so their is reserve price. Happy Bidding and good luck."

I think he/she meant to say he/she paid a lot for the wallet; hence, the reserve.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » May 4th, 2012, 7:16 am

Just received the second Real Secrets trick over here in England. A beautifully produced item.

Matt Field

Arcato

Postby Arcato » May 4th, 2012, 4:42 pm

erdnasephile wrote:Richard:
I went back and checked the ad:

It reads: "I bought it for 150.00 so their is reserve price. Happy Bidding and good luck."

I think he/she meant to say he/she paid a lot for the wallet; hence, the reserve.

The Weber wallet was sold at Blackpool for a special price of US$100 or 65 pounds (the regular price is $150), so I think the reserve is a bit too high...

Return to “Buzz”