Alex Elmsley

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
sjrwheeler

Alex Elmsley

Postby sjrwheeler » March 24th, 2012, 2:55 pm

Hello,

I'm a big fan of Elmsleys work, and my favorite books on magic are the wonderful Collected Works of Alex Elmsley by Stephan Minch.

Anyway, i always knew he went to Cambridge University, but i didn't know anything about Cambridge until i met my girlfriend who studied at Kings College. I didn't even know Cambridge had colleges!
I became curious as to which college Elmsley studied at.
Searching for "Alex Elmsley College" returned nothing. so i searched for "Alex Elmsley Kings College" which was a good guess.

I found kings annual report from 2009 which contains an obituary for Elmsley, which i found to be an interesting read.

I thought i would share with you since i think many other people would be interested to read this. So please see the web address below

its about half way through the pdf. so just click control and f and then type in elmsley and click enter. It begins on page 124.

it also contains the obituary of Christopher Bishop who "shared digs" with Elmsley.

many thanks,

Sam

http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/files/about/ ... t-2009.pdf

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Re: Alex Elmsley

Postby Joe Pecore » March 24th, 2012, 3:04 pm

Great find (added to MagicPedia)!
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » March 24th, 2012, 3:29 pm

Very interesting - although the description of Elmsley possessing an "amiable though slightly detached face" brought a bizarre picture to my mind that was probably not what the author intended.

sjrwheeler

Postby sjrwheeler » March 24th, 2012, 6:53 pm

haha, good point Lisa.

thanks Joe, good to know i've helped contribute in some small way.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”