Favorite 4-ace production?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
spike

Favorite 4-ace production?

Postby spike » September 24th, 2008, 1:21 pm

What are your favorite 4-ace productions? I've been playing with Steve Dobson's flip-out flourish. I also saw a cool production by a French magician (Olmac?) on Joshua Jay's Talking About Tricks DVD (volume 1), but he didn't explain how to do it.
What are your faves?
Spike

David Thomas

Re: Favorite 4-ace production?

Postby David Thomas » September 24th, 2008, 6:49 pm

Hmmmmm I don't know usually I just do a toss production or false cut ace cutting.

Alton

Postby Alton » September 24th, 2008, 8:54 pm

I am quite fond of Gary Ouellet's Three Second Wonder and 2 productions by Jean Pierre Vallarino. One being Iris Apparition and the other I can't remember the name right off the top of my head but it uses some false cuts he came up with years ago and is very easy to perform.

Alton

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » September 24th, 2008, 9:02 pm

Gary's Three Second Wonder is in APOCALYPSE. And, where have you all been? Check out my HaLo Aces, HaLo Again, Lorayces, plus dozens of others through my books, etc. Don't you guys read the good stuff!?

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » September 24th, 2008, 9:03 pm

Gary's Three Second Wonder is in APOCALYPSE. And, where have you all been? Check out my HaLo Aces, HaLo Again, Lorayces, plus dozens of others through my books, etc. Don't you guys read the good stuff!?

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » September 24th, 2008, 9:03 pm

Have no idea why my reply appeared twice. I guess it had to be "stressed"!

castawaydave

Postby castawaydave » September 25th, 2008, 12:09 am

Not everybody's style, but I get very good reactions with Gregory Wilson's "Straight A's" from his "Pyrotechnic Pasteboards" dvd.

Alton

Postby Alton » September 26th, 2008, 3:33 am

Duh! How could I have forgotten HaLo Aces. It is an absolute favorite of mine. I actually use IT all the time.

Alton

cardstuntman

Postby cardstuntman » September 26th, 2008, 8:01 pm

my own version that was inspired by Derek Dingles Open Sez Me. I also like the LePaul Version of Shaking them out.

spike

Postby spike » September 30th, 2008, 11:16 am

The ones that look best to me involve a sudden revelation of all 4, rather than a one-by-one production.

Rob_Hackett

Postby Rob_Hackett » August 12th, 2009, 10:25 am

Hey Guys,

There is a wonderful four king/ace production that I came across on Nathan Gibsons - PasteBoard Player dvd! It is super super visual, and in your face and most of all it is very easy to do! You will have this down in less than a day for sure! Check it out!

David Acer

Postby David Acer » August 12th, 2009, 8:52 pm

Here's a quick one that fits the bill (and, like Gary's "Three Second Wonder," was also first published in Apocalypse):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7D5tzMSkjs
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Ricky Difeo

Postby Ricky Difeo » August 13th, 2009, 10:56 am

Hi!

I love the Jack Birnman Production
and the Larry Jennings too -;)

And why never any person publish the book "Nectar of Cards" of Jack Birnman??

Ricardo Difeo

Justin Wheatley

Postby Justin Wheatley » August 15th, 2009, 2:23 am

I like that production, David. It kind of reminds me of a Sadowitz production, which I believe is called "Boom," or something to that effect. Any relation?

Right now I'm going through Richard's Thesaurus, and I really dig Justin Higham's "Phantom Aces." Nice gambling flavor. Mr. Crosthwaite also has a very fine Ace production, which I believe is called "Flash Aces."

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » August 15th, 2009, 2:35 am

I think you should at least consider a 'spectator cuts the aces' approach.
For me, and my performing style, that gets a better response than me producing them.
While I use my own approaches, there are some great ones out there. Including those in Harry's books (Reputation Makers/Classic Collection 2)!

Craig Watanabe

Postby Craig Watanabe » August 15th, 2009, 3:25 pm

I like visually stunning productions and my favorite is Nestor Hato's Blooming Aces but he has a number of really nice productions on his DVD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW1tPnhuhSo

David Acer

Postby David Acer » August 16th, 2009, 3:48 pm

Justin Wheatley wrote:I like that production, David. It kind of reminds me of a Sadowitz production, which I believe is called "Boom," or something to that effect. Any relation?

Thanks Justin. I don't know the Sadowitz production, so I can't offer a comparison. Mine actually came from playing with a Victor Sendax move I read in the 1980s called "Rotary Revelation," which was a flourishy (at the time) method for apparently changing one card into another. "Lickety Flip" (the ace production in question, and in the clip above) was published in Apocalypse around 1990, then later in Natural Selections (1996).

And in case anyone is hunting for still more Ace productions, I also published two in Random Acts of Magic, one with a fair bit of audience interaction called "Lucky Day" (that's the one I do most often these days), and another eye-candy production using a variation of Looy Simonoff's Flippant wherein two Twos are produced, then split into four Aces. The core sleight for this is called Splittant, and can be seen in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-1JS8HGSSY

David Acer

Postby David Acer » October 7th, 2009, 11:57 am

For anyone who's interested, a video of Gary Ouellet performing his "Three Second Wonder" ace production (among other things) was recently posted on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHVJ0PYtOW8
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Hugo

Postby Hugo » February 21st, 2012, 10:50 pm

A message to Craig Watanabe about the effect called 'Blooming Aces'. I think, both yourself and Nestor Hato should read up on magic literature and start giving credit to Richard Gamble (Stage name: Melvin Lehair) regarding the effect called 'Blooming Aces'. There are too many un-read-up magicians making money from other peoples ideas. Read up on the literature. This effect was first published in Pabular Vol. 7; No: 7 in January 1983. Hence 'The Moderno' magazine in Italy, in May 1983. There you go. Check it out. It's brilliant. Gerry Sadowitz will confirm that (See 'Blast From The Past' in 'The Crimp'). I'm surprised that no one else has picked up on this.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 21st, 2012, 11:35 pm

Hugo, you can least say it's your own sleight you're referring them to! Nothing wrong in that.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 22nd, 2012, 9:22 am

You might want to check out Double Take - originally in Quantum Leaps. It's posted somewhere on Youtube, but it's called Spectator Cuts The Aces there. www.youtube/harrylorayneonvideo might be the site. Not sure.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 22nd, 2012, 9:26 am

Oops. I think it's: www.youtube.com/harrylorayneonvideo HL.

Hugo

Postby Hugo » February 24th, 2012, 7:22 pm

Just noticed your reply Richard. Thanks for that. I will say, yes, I am the originator of 'Blooming Aces'.
Excuse the length of this message but to make a short story long! Here I go!
What I can't understand is why no one ever gives me credit for it. Hester Nato has called his (I say it's a version of mine) Blooming Aces but no one can tell me that he never got the inspiration for it from hearing about or reading mine. I bet he has never given me credit in a book.
You are a man of books Richard. Can you tell me if you've ever came across a book which credits me for this? Or anything of mine, for that matter?
I've came across a couple of books that have been published after my 'Blooming Aces' was and both have MY sleight/flourish in it! Not one gives me credit. These authors should/must be well read. My 'Blooming Aces' was the talk of the place. It was published in Italy in 1983. It's nearly thirty years since it first hit the magic world man!
The only one who I know credits me is Gerry Sadowitz. Gerry and me knew each other in Glasgow in the early eighties. I've always looked up to Gerry. What a cracking' cardician he was, even then. I loved watching his perfect handling of the pasteboards. He inspired me. It was all, so very easy to him. Amazing to watch. Another great inspiration to me was Steven Hamilton. Sadly gone.
As far as credits go, my summing up is and always has been "That's life!"

Mago en Madrid

Postby Mago en Madrid » February 27th, 2012, 3:05 pm

Aparition of the three aces from the bottom with slip cut.
The fourth ace fails. And with a glide the wrong card transforms in the last ace.
Very easy and very effective
Mago en Madrid - Magician in Madrid

magicfish

Postby magicfish » March 18th, 2012, 4:07 am

This is tough, four ace productions are my my favourite.
Mike Skinners from Card Stars USA is a gem. It uses Drauns tabled breakless undercut from Kaufmans book.
I think Ortiz' Any Ace Spell Variation from Lorayne's Afterthoughts is a treasure.
My pet sequence for twenty years has been Wakeman's A Dime a Dozen- sometimes preceded by Vernons Aces or a multiple shift or a cull or Lou Gallo's
brilliant Lost and Found Aces .
I adore J.C. Wagners Fab Four Revisited.

magicfish

Postby magicfish » March 18th, 2012, 5:01 am

Martin Nash's Telstar Aces from Any Second Now is also a beautiful thing.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”