HUGO and Georges Méliès

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Tom Stone

Re: HUGO and Georges Méliès

Postby Tom Stone » February 1st, 2012, 6:22 am

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Thanks Dustin,

It's an impressive print and the scene in Hugo duplicating that image brought the question to mind. Was he using steel tubing or folded steel for the support back then? Even if his sone was less than fifty pounds weight that's a considerable amount of (force times distance) going along that board down to the stool on the other side.

I don't know how it actually was done, but I've always assumed that the board had an additional support at the end where the removable stool is - like a super-X support coming from the back, shielded by the board itself, mirror, black art or the performer's leg. I can't see how the stool otherwise could be removed - considering the material thickness of the board and force*distance.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 1st, 2012, 9:19 am

Tom, R-H had his own theater and could have installed a suitable anchor. That leaves the matter of torque on the board- which itself may have been more than half metal inside.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 1st, 2012, 1:00 pm

Here is a recreation of the Houdin suspension:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzNpEMsBUU8

(Starts at 3:09 on the video)

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » February 1st, 2012, 2:06 pm

As in most of these types of threads, I only make comments only when I feel compelled to do so.

Last night I was viewing Lennart Greens Masterfile DVD series put out by Luis de Matos. There is a wonderful dialogue between the two divided up among the disks. Lennart and the host talk about all sorts of wonderful anecdotes, but there was one that especially stood out.

Generosity is a rare commodity in our capitalistic, profit-driven society. The peculiar fact that many of our most endearing figures in the magic community (amateur and professional) are and were so generous of their time and ideas makes our small circle specialset apart from the dog eat dog world. Granted, we have our share of squabbling, but what community doesnt. When public magic figures such as Lennart speak about such things as generosity and when you hear and see past masters like Vernon in action, these altruistic principles and examples shine bright and remind us of this special world that we all share and partake in.

We cant all be as generous as Bill Gates, but each has his or her own unique way of giving back and making the scene that much more interesting and better because of it.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » February 1st, 2012, 2:19 pm

Thanks, Edward. It is frustrating to see one's (albeit minor) attempts at generosity co-opted by others for profit.

But - to help those re R-H levitation - the answers you seek are in print! With lovely photos and drawings and everything.

Unfortunately, not in English.

Christian Fechner may be the epitome of someone who was generous to the magic community. His books never made him any money - they were a gift to the world of magic he loved so much. I am privileged to know some of his dear friends, and the stories of his kindness and giving are almost unequaled in my experience. I truly regret having never had the opportunity to meet the man.

Vol 3 of his Robert-Houdin series has the information you seek.

Georges Proust may still have a set or two left.

Good luck Treasure Hunting.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 1st, 2012, 2:29 pm

The French edition of the second set of Robert-Houdin books are long out of print. Volume 3 has the complete details of the Robert-Houdin levitation. It's a shame that it has never been published in English, but perhaps one day ...
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

David Ben

Postby David Ben » February 1st, 2012, 5:24 pm

As Dustin pointed out, I tried to recreate the effect of Robert-Houdin's suspension. I, like many of you, had my theory as to how it was performed. My builder and I worked out our own method of doing it on stage. I do not know how much we have reinvented as far as methodology goes because I have not seen the appropriate volume of the series. (I hope to acquire a copy one day.)

Set out below is a private link to our footage. I must state, however, a few caveats.

First, the clip you will see is from an archival taping of The Conjuror, performed ten years ago. It is not a professional video tape, but simply a recording of the entire show so that if, one day, I care to restage it, I will have a visual record of what we did before.

Second, you are seeing the very first public performance ever of the piece. We performed it a hundred times after that but this was the very first. So, if we seem tentative at times, it is simply because we were nervous as ****. As they say, however, you have start somewhere.

Third, you will see my son suspended. Although I have performed the suspension with Julie subsequently, there is something special about suspending a child. There is a certain vulnerability to the whole affair.

Here's the link:

http://www.davidben.com/video/suspension.html
Password: suspend455

Hope you like it.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 1st, 2012, 6:37 pm

David, thanks for posting that!

I was particularly taken with what you said about suspending a child: "There is a certain vulnerability to the whole affair."

I whole-heartedly agree.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » February 1st, 2012, 6:38 pm

David;
Thank you for sharing that. My biggest concern with your setup is the "tippiness" front to back of the assembled items - not much room for error. This old effect still holds its own and looked nice. I would prefer to go straight to the 90 degrees rather than halt at the 45 degrees position even though it receives an applause. But that is my preference. I've always felt that way about the broom suspension too.

Doing it with a child does add to the effect on several levels. The problem with children is that the assistants outgrow the job. No mention of ether during your presentation - hmmmmm. I assume this was to keep the method secret!

I'm sure things smoothed out with subsequent performances. I'd have been antsy the first time too. Again, thank you for sharing. Beautiful.
Jim

P.S. I really liked the cohesiveness of the costumes and items on stage - all went together well and presented a classy/period whole. This is something not often seen in magic performances.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » February 1st, 2012, 7:00 pm

I'm reminded of a story told to me by Dan O'Donoghue which happend in Ireland and which he witnessed.

A touring magician was playing in the local hall to a packed house and the show was going well.

Out comes the broom levitation and the magician introduced his son who was about nine years old. The boy seemed a tad nervous but got up on the stool, closed his eyes and was suspended horizontally as per normal.

It seems that this was the first public performance. I suspect it had been practiced and rehearsed many times but without one normal part of a live performance - applause.

When the applause started the boy opened his eyes. As the apparatus was at the front of the stage he looked down at the auditorium floor which was four feet lower than the stage itself. Vertigo hit and he started to shake. The whole apparatus started to wobble and he fell right down.

Dan said the magician helped him up and took him backstage where his roars could be heard for the rest of the show.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » February 1st, 2012, 7:19 pm

David's show was extremely classy.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 1st, 2012, 8:05 pm

Quentin, why in the world have you changed your display name to "Q. Kumber"?

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » February 1st, 2012, 8:39 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Quentin, why in the world have you changed your display name to "Q. Kumber"?

Yeah, what's the deal?
Brendan

News, Lectures, Societies & Magic in Ireland
http://www.IrishMagicNews.com

Shenanigans the irish magic convention 2-4 May 2014 Dublin
http://www.IrishMagicConvention.com

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » February 1st, 2012, 8:53 pm

How'd ya know it was me?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 1st, 2012, 9:09 pm

You're the only "Q. Kumber" in Manchester!

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » February 1st, 2012, 10:22 pm

I was at Proust's shop in July and thought I recall seeing a copy on the shelves.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 2nd, 2012, 1:11 am

It's easy enough to email his shop and find out:
contact@academiedemagie.com

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » February 2nd, 2012, 1:21 am

I already have a copy. Was trying to help others who might be looking for one.

David Ben

Postby David Ben » February 2nd, 2012, 12:13 pm

Thanks, Brad. I contacted the shop but the book is no longer in stock.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 10th, 2012, 10:05 pm

Tim Lucas, a highly respected film historian and critic, has written a brief but remarkably precise appreciation of Hugo.

Here: http://www.vwpro.blogspot.com/

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » February 11th, 2012, 11:50 pm

Saw it finally today in 3D and it's a terrific film. Tim Lucas really captured it well. Great film.

Travis
Favorite Magician: Charles Morritt

Postby Travis » February 12th, 2012, 1:03 pm

David,

Thank you so very much for sharing your video clip with us here. It was a real treat to be able to see a version of Houdin's suspension in action in a live show.

I have to say, what you describe as a non-professional recording looked much more professional than what I see from most magicians today.

Thank you again. Really, really fantastic.

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » February 13th, 2012, 12:42 pm

Yesterday I watched the movie with my assitant. Terriffic!!! The story had an effect straight to my heart ... and I'm not corny!!! :P

Thank you Genii Forum, I became interested in the movie becouse I read about it here
Andres Reynoso

John Signa

Postby John Signa » December 30th, 2013, 11:47 am

For those of you in the U.S. with iPads and iPhones, today's 12 Days of Gifts gift is the movie Hugo. To get the movie you'll need to first download the 12 Days of Gifts app at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/12-days-of-gifts/id777716569?mt=8 (requires iOS 7).

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » December 30th, 2013, 12:45 pm

John Signa wrote:For those of you in the U.S. with iPads and iPhones, today's 12 Days of Gifts gift is the movie Hugo. To get the movie you'll need to first download the 12 Days of Gifts app at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/12-days-of-gifts/id777716569?mt=8 (requires iOS 7).

Over here, today's gift is "Home Alone". :(
So, here is how you uninstall the "12 days of gifts" app: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/h ... phone.html

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 30th, 2013, 2:06 pm

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » December 30th, 2013, 2:57 pm

John S - thanks for the notice about the 12 Days app and the HUGO download.
Happy holidays!
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » December 30th, 2013, 3:13 pm

The only 3d film I've ever liked.

Wonderful, wonderful stuff.

Although in the bloody UK we don't seem to get Hugo for free. Bah. We get Home Alone 1 instead. FFS.

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » December 30th, 2013, 8:31 pm

If you have not secured a copy of the Hugo movie, I found several in the $5 bins at Wallmart. These are not the BluRay but the regular DVD version. For $5, it is tough to go wrong on them.

Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

AJM

Postby AJM » December 31st, 2013, 8:25 am

Hugo is indeed a truly wonderful and magical film.

I've always put off buying the DVD as I felt it would only disappoint compared to the 3D version on the big screen - however I think I'm going to have to take the plunge. It's a great movie for this time of year.

Cheers

Andrew

Return to “Buzz”