Greater Magic reprint ?

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.
David Nethery

Greater Magic reprint ?

Postby David Nethery » July 28th, 2008, 12:35 pm

HI, Richard,

Will your edition of "Greater Magic" ever be reprinted ?

I have one of the older editions (one of the 1938 printings that I think maybe has some material omitted ? ) , but I'd love to get the full version with supplemental material that you published.

Is there a reason it can't be reprinted ? (cost just not justified by potential sales I would imagine?) Would you ever consider doing what Steinmeyer did with the Wakeling book , allowing a "large" publisher to put out an edition marketed to the Barnes & Noble , Borders type of store ?

Jim Martin

Re: Greater Magic reprint ?

Postby Jim Martin » July 28th, 2008, 12:53 pm

I would love to see a reprint also.
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 28th, 2008, 1:08 pm

The Jones family consists of several entities. Some would like to see it reprinted, others don't. End of story.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Geoff Weber

Postby Geoff Weber » July 28th, 2008, 1:26 pm

David Nethery wrote:HI, Richard,

Will your edition of "Greater Magic" ever be reprinted ?

I have one of the older editions (one of the 1938 printings that I think maybe has some material omitted ? ) , but I'd love to get the full version with supplemental material that you published.

Is there a reason it can't be reprinted ? (cost just not justified by potential sales I would imagine?) Would you ever consider doing what Steinmeyer did with the Wakeling book , allowing a "large" publisher to put out an edition marketed to the Barnes & Noble , Borders type of store ?

In the meantime, you can buy the lost notebooks.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 28th, 2008, 2:37 pm

There is only one major difference between the first edition (which I believe includes several printings) and all others done by Carl Jones, and that is the chapter on collecting magic is different. He wasn't satisfied with the first one and had it redone.

There are also small corrections made to some of the tricks in later editions.

Note that an "edition" is not the same as a "printing." Greater Magic was printed nine times by Carl Jones, 1000 copies each time. However there are only two editions by Jones.

Add to that the five-volume edition done for the public and my edition. The latter has the same content as Jones's second edition. My version was different than all that preceeded it since it contains all the variations from the different editions, plus the new material.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Oddly Bent

Postby Oddly Bent » February 11th, 2012, 5:04 pm

I found an almost new Kaufman edition three months ago, cover intact and the insides looked like it had been barely open. An almost new book for $125.00. I found it through Abe's used books. Google used books and the first company up will be Abe's. I've found earlier editions for as little as $90.00. If you do this consistently every week, a Kaufman edition will come up and even if it's $150.00, it is worth it. Don't wait. The price is going to go up.
It cost $10.00 when I started magic in 1948-49.

Return to “Kaufman & Company”