shape of my heart card trick

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
idan

shape of my heart card trick

Postby idan » January 23rd, 2012, 8:05 pm

After getting the approval of Mr. Shawn Farquhar to keep my video on YouTube I bring it up to you to hear what you guys think

this is the vid and i hope you like it:

http://youtu.be/_Asnl01NJQU

Richard Hatch

Re: shape of my heart card trick

Postby Richard Hatch » January 23rd, 2012, 10:48 pm

I predict Russ Stevens won't care for it.

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » January 24th, 2012, 8:06 pm

I'm no Bill Malone but your get readies need work.
Brendan

News, Lectures, Societies & Magic in Ireland
http://www.IrishMagicNews.com

Shenanigans the irish magic convention 2-4 May 2014 Dublin
http://www.IrishMagicConvention.com

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 24th, 2012, 8:28 pm

1) It's a minute and 18 seconds before anything remarkable happens, and what does happen, is not all that remarkable. (You are intentionally attempting to demonstrate skill - so when the aces are revealed it's really not surprising that someone who alleges skill with cards can keep them under control through obviously studied motions.)

2) There is no contrast between the black aces and the background of the cards. There is arguably less contrast between the red and black background than with the standard white. The use of black cards actually hinders the impact of the effect - it is less clear and striking to the audience.

3) the music suggests lyricism and elegance. We are staring at your crotch. This does not fit.

4) You constantly riffle the end of the deck. This is also not a lyrical movement, nor is it a particularly attractive one. It is, at best, superfluous. If you don't have an overt reason for doing it (a reason that is OBVIOUS to the audience because they SEE it) then eliminate it.

5) I lost interest about half way through. I think this is, in part, because of a lack of texture to the routine. Plus, the black cards are tedious to look at - if an audience has to exert effort just to see what you are doing, you will loose them.

You've obviously spent a lot of time on this, and I appreciate that you sought permission before posting it. The comments above are all very simple fixes that you should have no problem incorporating (with the possible exception of exploring variety in texture) and I think your product will be improved greatly by those changes.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » January 25th, 2012, 5:06 am

Brad's excellent comments, all of which I agree with, are a professional critique of your performance which one might expect to pay dearly for, but which Brad has generously shared for free.

It might be hard to accept, but if you do and work on the issues he pointed out, you will grow tremendously as a performer.

Matt Field

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » January 25th, 2012, 7:12 am

Brad Well done! That was a masterful, textbook-perfect example of constructive feedback. It was honest, pointed and supportive. Kudos to you.

@idan, if you are still out there, I would encourage you to overcome your (probable) initial indignation, study Brad's comments and use them to improve your performance. Honest, critical feedback is hard to come by and can be difficult to accept, but learning to do so will allow you to grow, both as a person and a performer.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 25th, 2012, 7:34 pm

Thank you, Anthony and Matt.

Idan, you obviously have worked a great deal on this. I hope my comments allow you to make some simple changes which will improve your piece dramatically.

idan

Postby idan » January 28th, 2012, 4:26 pm

First of all I have not published it here to get compliments

I appreciate the criticism and very grateful for the time you spent writing it

Actually, it's taken almost a year ago and today I'm doing this routine more professionally, but only recently i got the approval of Shawn and this is something that was very important to me get.
So again thank everyone for the constructive comments and I will continue to work and soon I was going to shoot it again in a more professional like I know!

Corneilius Jay

Postby Corneilius Jay » February 27th, 2012, 5:19 am

Hey idan
What's that technique you use at 3:45 to reveal the aces. It's very smooth.

Regards.
Neil.
Regards.
Neil.

venzuiella

Postby venzuiella » February 28th, 2012, 5:45 am

Heart having heart shape.

Return to “General”