An Old Brouhaha

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

An Old Brouhaha

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 26th, 2011, 9:46 pm

Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Kent Gunn

Re: An Old Brouhaha

Postby Kent Gunn » December 27th, 2011, 2:09 am

The video is up to 3.4 million hits. Richard did you ever watch the video?

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » December 27th, 2011, 4:52 am

3.4 million people's grannies who like the beatles and think doing very basic juggling in sync with a good tune = a good performance.

In magic land, I guess that appalling colour change to the sting track about cards is the equivalent.

:D

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » December 27th, 2011, 6:59 am

Ah, you mean the general public.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » December 27th, 2011, 7:11 am

El Mystico wrote:Ah, you mean the general public.

Yup. They like XFactor and Macdonalds.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 27th, 2011, 10:55 am

Hey, don't bad mouth my McD's!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » December 27th, 2011, 11:48 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Hey, don't bad mouth my McD's!

Well you don't have in 'n' out on the east coast, do you?

:)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 27th, 2011, 11:52 am

Regal took me to In 'n Out once when I was in LA. Frankly, I prefer McD's. (But my real favorite is Mos Burger in Japan!)

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 27th, 2011, 1:03 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Regal took me to In 'n Out once when I was in LA. Frankly, I prefer McD's. (But my real favorite is Mos Burger in Japan!)

To this former LA boy, that is heresy! :grin:

(Actually, Five Guys is not bad for a chain--better fries than I and O and every burger is a double)

Doc Dixon

Postby Doc Dixon » December 27th, 2011, 1:49 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Regal took me to In 'n Out once when I was in LA. Frankly, I prefer McD's. (But my real favorite is Mos Burger in Japan!)

As the punch line to an old joke goes, "Brother, I reckon I wouldn't have shared that."

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » December 27th, 2011, 1:54 pm

Well, since this thread has managed to slip into burger joints and mention of the West Coast flavor, here is the "secret" menu. For those not in the know, now you know. http://www.in-n-out.com/secretmenu.asp

And for those of you who still worship the golden calf, here's some more trivia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-N-Out_Burger#Bible_references

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 27th, 2011, 2:19 pm

"Mos" Burger has nothing to do with moss. I really don't know what "Mos" means, unless it's some sort of contraction of "Most." However I will PROUDLY say that I prefer McD's over In 'N Out. And Chik Fil-A sends me into heaven.

Doc Dixon

Postby Doc Dixon » December 27th, 2011, 2:47 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:"Mos" Burger has nothing to do with moss. I really don't know what "Mos" means, unless it's some sort of contraction of "Most." However I will PROUDLY say that I prefer McD's over In 'N Out. And Chik Fil-A sends me into heaven.

Chik Fil-A is a subchapter S corporation of heaven, hence they close on Sundays. I thought these things were common knowledge.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 27th, 2011, 2:52 pm

I don't care about the religious affiliation of the owners of corporations and restaurants unless it affects my ability to eat in them, and it's a fat pain in the butt that Chik Fil-A is closed on Sundays.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » December 27th, 2011, 3:00 pm

All the malls in my county are closed on Sundays and life is really more pleasant than usual on Sunday.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 27th, 2011, 3:02 pm

I had no idea that any "blue" laws were still enforced in the northern part of the US. And it has to be law, because those stores would ALL really like to be open and making money.

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » December 27th, 2011, 6:59 pm

Just a quick question - getting back to that blog about Chris Brown. Is it possible that the video got so many hits because the X Factor crowd were searching for info on a different Chris Brown, the guy who was abusive to singer Rihanna?

(I like Mos Burger too. Let's get the franchise in the U.S.)
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

Terry

Postby Terry » December 27th, 2011, 7:22 pm

Pals restaurants in the Kingsport/Bristol/SW Virginia area has one of the best chili cheese burgers I've had. Their frenchie fries and sweet tea is excellent as well.

magicrobharv

Postby magicrobharv » December 27th, 2011, 7:34 pm

Actually Richard, with all due respect, you are wrong on numerous accounts. Blue laws, in different forms, are still in effect in North Dakota (where I live). Chik Fil-A's founder (Truett Cathy) made and kept the decision to not be open on Sunday's so employees were free to attend worship services and spend time with their families. I know this to be true, because one of the financial advisors to Truett Cathy also has stated publicly these facts during sermons this financial advisor presents. This financial advisor handles multiple million dollar accounts, and he has also publicly stated that Chik Fil-A's profits went up (not down) with the Sunday closings. There are also voluntary closing of many different types of stores on Sunday. Our local Hobby Lobby store is closed on Sundays for this very reason. The store owner has signs that state publicly he is not open on Sundays for this very reason (not because of Blue Laws).

I think Doug Thornton is right, we should just stick to the issue of Chris Brown.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 27th, 2011, 8:20 pm

Somehow I think Chik Fil-A could find employees who want to work on Sundays and make money who don't feel the need to attend religious services. There are also plenty of people who don't have a family to spend time with and would like to be working and earning money. But I won't get into it further because the discussion delves into an area we don't allow here.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 27th, 2011, 8:22 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:"Mos" Burger has nothing to do with moss. I really don't know what "Mos" means, unless it's some sort of contraction of "Most." However I will PROUDLY say that I prefer McD's over In 'N Out. And Chik Fil-A sends me into heaven.

"MOS" allegedly stands for "Mountain, Ocean, Sun"

Also, apparently the Taiwanese affiliate of McDonalds has tried to copy the toasted rice buns of MOS--so if you go to Taiwan, you're all set RK! :grin:

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » December 27th, 2011, 8:49 pm

I'm a vegan, so this thread became heresy on the word burger.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 27th, 2011, 9:07 pm

sprongshift wrote:I'm a vegan, so this thread became heresy on the word burger.

[img:center]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9dmwXQOd30Y/S-zLPmFXUKI/AAAAAAAAAkY/awAJol87tec/s1600/boca2.jpg[/img] ;)

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » December 27th, 2011, 9:10 pm

In some Mickey Dees they actually serve these. when I was in vancouver last, i ordered one. not bad, but it was probably cooked in the same oil (or whatever they cook burgers in) as the normal ones.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 27th, 2011, 10:51 pm

I had a Teriyaki Burger at the McD's in Narita Airport this fall and it was quite interesting. But it doesn't touch The McRib!

AJM

Postby AJM » December 28th, 2011, 12:25 am

I'm always puzzled as to why vegetarians would want to eat foods that look like meat based products.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 28th, 2011, 12:57 am

Beef Envy.

Edward

Postby Edward » December 28th, 2011, 1:59 am

ummm... I must have missed something. What the hell is the point of this thread?

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » December 28th, 2011, 3:55 am

Edward wrote:ummm... I must have missed something. What the hell is the point of this thread?

That In 'n' Out is the best fast food ever.

HTH

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » December 28th, 2011, 1:24 pm

AJM wrote:I'm always puzzled as to why vegetarians would want to eat foods that look like meat based products.

If magicians can pretend to have Ubermensch powers, I can pretend to have a hamburger.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 28th, 2011, 4:46 pm

Edward wrote:ummm... I must have missed something. What the hell is the point of this thread?

I have found it quite informative. When it's my turn to buy, I now know where to take Richard.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » December 28th, 2011, 5:55 pm

Chris Brown has a bunch of other videos up on youtube. He's gotten better.

I've no idea why the video of his has 3 million hits. I'm happy for him. He's connected to a massive audience. One of his videos gets more hits than all of the drivel I put on-line will in my entire life.

I'm not even jealous. Chris is part of the SF Bay Area close-up scene. He's modest, learning faster than I ever could and will continue to grow and change as a performer. I know he has a day-job and works hard at becoming a better magician. He's already better than me. Not that that's much of a yardstick.

I don't know why the thread was resurrected. Chris is a damn fine magician. Most here would enjoy meeting him. Come to the GGG this next year. Chris will probably pop in. Oh and I'll make 200 bucks selling you a ticket.

Ah . . . advertising, love to sneak it in!

KG
Last edited by Kent Gunn on December 28th, 2011, 6:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Dig me some McRib as well!

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » December 28th, 2011, 6:37 pm

Used to love McRibs, but for some reason, not so much anymore.

According to Chicago Magazine, the patty is also composed of restructured meat products such as tripe, heart, and stomach and blended with salt and water to extract salt-soluble proteins, which act as a "glue" that helps bind the reshaped meat together.[2]

The McRib has 70 ingredients. Thirty-four of those ingredients are contained in the bun, including azodicarbonamidea flour bleaching agent that is also used in the manufacturing of foamed plastics such as gym mats and the soles of shoes.[3][4]

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » December 28th, 2011, 6:53 pm

The dirty little secret about In'n'Out is that their fries absolutely suck. Still, it's great fun to order your burger "animal style," which isn't listed on the menu and makes you (think that you) look really cool. But the fries suck. The best fast-food fries in the worlds used to be at El Pollo Loco, but they changed them a year or so ago and now they're just ordinary. EPL is still the best fast-food restaurant by a combination of taste and health.

I saw Chris's video. Of course it's hard to judge a performer by a series of clips with no presentation, but clearly he has put in a fair amount of time on the sleight of hand. A childish post on the peace love musings blog is no negative reflection on Chris.

One thing I noticed is that the standard presentation of Invisible Palm Aceswhich makes almost no sense as it isis completely incomprehensible when you watch it without the sound. This is not a criticism of Chris, of course. But I think it's an interesting exercise to watch a trick with the sound off and see how much of the effect is still intelligible.

My wife worked at McDonald's when she was 13. She says that no one who ever worked there will ever eat a McRib.

AJM

Postby AJM » December 28th, 2011, 7:05 pm

I've always favoured a Burger King burger to a Big Mac.

Anyone got a view on Popeyes or Checkers? I've seen a few these while in the US but have never sampled their delights...

Cheers

Andrew

P.S. I don't mean to doubly de-rail the thread but there is a great Olive Garden restaurant across the road from the Florida Convention Centre on Stanlake Road for anyone that might be interested during October 2012...

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 28th, 2011, 7:06 pm

1+ to Pete's comments on EPL: I went back last year and made a point to stop in: absolutely dreadful--what's with all this healthy/crummy tasting stuff on that menu. Sad really.

I and O's fries used to be a lot better in the late 80's when they had those steak fries.

If you live (or visit) LA you still haven't lived the burger life until you have made a post-midnight run to Tommy's on Beverly and Rampart (If you know anything about LA crime, the name "Rampart" will have meaning to you).

Picture a dimly lit burger shack in the middle of nowhere with continually trash-talking fry cooks, dishing up burgers topped with the thickest, nastiest chili extant to a eclectic mix of cops, frat boys, suburbanites, and gang bangers. It's a great experience! (but I wouldn't recommend going into the restrooms there.)

With regards to the video in question: the food talk is more interesting, IMHO! :)

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » December 28th, 2011, 7:53 pm

Holy crap! So you want to eat vegetables?

http://tinyurl.com/d8alylu
Please visit my website.

http://houdinihimself.com/

I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 28th, 2011, 9:19 pm

Mmmm...the only thing I miss more than pizza is GOOD French Fries. The best fries I've ever had was at the Waikoloa Golf Course in Hawaii (on the Big Island, Kona side).

One must order In n Out fries well done otherwise, yes, they suck--way too soggy. But a Double-Double with grilled onions...mmmmmmmmm.

I had some fries for the first time in over 3 years the other night at Ruby's Diner. They were wonderful. Maybe again in another three years...

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » December 29th, 2011, 1:18 am

My decision to become vegan is not based on cleanliness or holier than thou justifications. Rather, it was an attempt to reconcile ethical concerns I was faced with when deciding what I personally would kill myself when pressed to forage with my own two hands.

P.T. Murphy

Postby P.T. Murphy » December 29th, 2011, 2:25 pm

A discussion about hamburgers is more welcome than being forced to watch someone majaculate on YouTube.

If you are ever in Seattle I humbly suggest: www.redmillburgers.com/

(The term majaculate is a registered trademark of P.T. Murphy Magic, you may use it, but remember me when you do! LOL)
"Those who do not believe in magic
will never find it. " -Roald Dahl

Return to “Buzz”