Untitled document

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
luigimar

Untitled document

Postby luigimar » June 2nd, 2003, 2:53 pm

I'm wondering, as soon as I get into the forum, I'm greeted with the 'menu' page, but this page is the only one which says untitled document (on the blue bar on top). All the other pages have a title. Is this done on purpose or nobody has noticed it?

I'm not complaining, the content is what matters. I just wanted to let you know about it.

luigimar :)
luigimar

Brad A._dup1

Re: Untitled document

Postby Brad A._dup1 » June 2nd, 2003, 10:10 pm

That might just be something on your computer. Then again, does anyone else experience this?

I looked at the page in my browser (Internet Explorer) and I have a title "The Genii Forum." I even checked the HTML, there is a title tag: <title>The Genii Forum</title>. It is stuck in between some JavaScript, but who knows.

....just one of those internet idiosyncrasies.

-Brad
Former Vonnegut Character

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » June 3rd, 2003, 5:12 am

If you go to: http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi you'll get "The Genii Forum". However, if you go to http://geniimagazine.com/forum you'll get "Untitled Document".

That's how it is in the HTML, from what I can see.

-Jim

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 3rd, 2003, 9:08 am

I don't get untitled document! I get the forum.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Randy DiMarco

Postby Randy DiMarco » June 3rd, 2003, 9:32 am

At http://www.geniimagazine.com/forum/index.html I get the index page but the header shows as Untitled Document

pduffie

Postby pduffie » June 3rd, 2003, 9:33 am

Richard

Both links open the Forum, but the shorter link page is not named in the address bar at the top of the browser - so it defaults to "Untitled Document."

Brad A._dup1

Postby Brad A._dup1 » June 10th, 2003, 7:06 pm

...now it makes sense. Upon your first post, I assumed that you were referring to the longer URL.

For all you folks who love odd trivia, there is an exciting explanation for this.

The link of http://www.geniimagazine.com/forum/ USED to be a page that would redirect you to http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi. That last URL is the exact location of the forum on Genii's server.

When we first began the forum, I figured that having Richard put that LONG link into Genii wouldn't look good--thus my reasoning for creating the shorter /forum redirect.

When we recently updated the forum I changed that redirect page and was able to "insert" the forum into a regular HTML document. This uses SSI (server side include)..... basically, the computer inserts one page inside another.

When I did that I just didn't add a title to the page; thus, explaining the "Untitled Document" oddity.

-Brad

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » June 10th, 2003, 10:00 pm

I just loaded Bob Kohler's website and now it says "untitled document". For shame!

Brad A._dup1

Postby Brad A._dup1 » June 11th, 2003, 12:58 am

....aha, check now and it says "The Genii Forum." (what a trick!)

Jacky Kahan

Postby Jacky Kahan » June 11th, 2003, 2:59 am

Hello,

if you look in the source code of this very page: you see the folowing :

<title>The Genii Forum: untitled document </title>

Thats why.... just needs to change that...

all the best

jacky

Postby Guest » June 11th, 2003, 5:12 am

Sorry Jacky

I think the reason it says Untitled Document is because that is the subject that was entered at the start of this thread. :D

All the best.

Sean

Postby Guest » June 11th, 2003, 6:05 am

It certainly seems the discussion has heated up again regarding giving credit where credit is due re: magic that has been manufactured and copied. There ARE unscrupilous dealers out there looking out for the almighty dollar. True you have to make money to survive but at what price? Look at all the India made "crap" available. They have been stealing ideas for years - yet I hear no complaints because the price is much lower than the original and dealers can make a larger margin. With the ease of availability of this stuff just about anyone with a computer can call themselves a "dealer" - that is why we have chosen to go the other way and manufacture our own products when possible and provide only the best quality available yet at fair and equitable prices.

Ethics will always be an issue in this industry because it is about selling "secrets" and until magicians turn a deaf ear to the ones who want to either expose or copy effects illegally then this issue will only get worse - We are ALWAYS on the lookout for ORIGINAL magic and books - in this day and age that is the key to survival as a magic dealer. Rest be assured we won't find ourselves falling into the trap of being just another "junk" dealer trying to make a cheap $ just for the sake of a $. I understand a lot of frustrations going in and around magic these days and the postings here re: the gimmicks being revealed bother me greatly. It IS time for magicians to stand up to those who would harm our way of living and the future of magic...Nuff said...Thanks for your attention.Rick Fisher,president FAB Magic Company, Colon, Michigan."The Magic Capital of the World!"

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 11th, 2003, 8:11 am

Wow. Choose one:

A. Slightly more off topic than usual
B. Clicked on the wrong topic heading by accident
C. Proponent of the new 'surreal' posting method
D. Right thoughts, wrong place

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » June 11th, 2003, 8:39 am

Or

E. It's a joke.

Can there really be a place called Colon? My knowledge of US geography is extremely poor, but it does seem a strange name for a place.

"Where d'you live?" "I live in Intestine." (And I could have chosen a far less palatable synonym.)

Dave

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » June 11th, 2003, 9:18 am

Postby Guest » June 11th, 2003, 10:07 am

Thanks for that, Robert.

I must admit that I felt that I ought to do a search for a town called Colon in the US before I posted.

But, in this instance, the temptation to post was one that I simply couldn't resist. :D

Dave

sleightly

Postby sleightly » June 11th, 2003, 10:20 am

I believe that Abbott's is located in lower Colon (the potential subject of an anterial resection)...

ajp

Postby Guest » June 11th, 2003, 1:55 pm

Abbott's is located in Colon, Fab Magic is located in semi-colon.
Dennis Loomis
www.loomismagic.com

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » June 11th, 2003, 2:17 pm

Heh heh, speaking of Colon..

http://www.preventcancer.org/colossalcolon/

(the tour above is clearly missing out on a promotional chance)

Return to “General”