Nash Reloaded Done and Available!

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Nash Reloaded Done and Available!

Postby Guest » October 5th, 2005, 12:56 pm

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to let you know that the new Martin A. Nash book "Nash Reloaded" is Done and Available on Martin's Website. ($40.00 for the ebook) It contains new effects by myself and others that are based on Martins work and technique. It also had "reloaded" versions of many of his classics. You'll also enjoy the stories and essays from martin and others. Hope you like it.

www.thecharmingcheat.com

For those of you who pre-ordered, you'll be getting your insrtuctions on downloading in your inboxes tonight and tomorow morning.

Thanks for your patience and help everyone. The Hardbound will be ready soon.

Friend,
Mike

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Re: Nash Reloaded Done and Available!

Postby NCMarsh » October 5th, 2005, 2:25 pm

Sounds like an excellent book. Just for clarity, as I wasn't sure from reading what you have written here and on the site about the book, are the reloaded versions "reloaded" by Martin himself?

Best,

N.

Jon Elion

Postby Jon Elion » October 5th, 2005, 5:32 pm

When I purchased this book, I was under the impression that it was indeed a Martin Nash book. Having just downloaded my copy, I find that it is a little different than what I expected. This is NOT a comment on the quality of the material, just that it appears to be a book by Michael Sorenson of material from several sources, much of it inspired by the work of Martin Nash.

The card material is contained in 70 of the 208 pages, and includes:
  • The Universal Deal, Michael's re-working of Martin's "As You Like It", with a "radical new turn in the mechanics"
  • The One-Handed Ace Cut, Michael's cutting-to-the-aces routine based on Dai Vernon's one-handed ace cut routine
  • Pichochle Pinnacle II, a re-working of "Pichochle Pinnacle " done by Michael's brother Davied
  • Omni-Twist Revisited, Michael's new handling of Martin's "Omni-Twist"
  • Fake Center Deals, an effect given to Michael by Chris Stolz
  • Caught, Michael's routine with the storyline inspired by watching Nash deal with a heckler
  • Super Ace Speller, Michael's handling of a Peter Duffie effect
  • Colors on the March Revisited, Michael's abbreviated version of "Colors on the March"
  • Control, A "card-at-any-number" routine that appears to be Michael's
  • The Switch, another Chris Stolz effect
  • Trapped, which appears to be a Nash-improved version of Daryl's effect by the same name
  • Invisible Palm Revisited, Michael's version of "Invisible Palm", that he says is bit closer to the Larry Jennings version
  • Blindfolded Ace Cut, Michael's effect inspired by the many stories of John Scarne
  • Title Bout, Michael's version of Nash's handling of Harry Lorayne's "Gambler vs. Magician"
  • Any Ace Called For - Revisited, a takeoff on the Nash center deal routine
  • The New Mental Topper, Michael's handling of one of Nash's effects
  • Ambitious Omni, Michael's routine combining the basic effects of "Omni-Twist" with the ambitious card
  • One Step Ahead, another Chris Stolz routine
  • The Fan Change by Chris Stolz and Michael
  • Out of this... Oh Who Cares!, Michael's take on the old classic
  • The Mechanic, Michael's demonstration of the tools of the card cheat (quite tough)
  • Four and a Little More, Nash's routine first published in Linking Ring in 1964
There are also 13 pages of Nash-inspired essays, 70-some pages of stories and tributes, 5 of Nash's poems, and a section on sleights.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » October 5th, 2005, 9:12 pm

That's good information. Very useful for those of us making a decision to purchase or not. Thanks Jon.

Postby Guest » October 5th, 2005, 9:26 pm

I too preordered this book with the impression that Martin Nash would be the one assisiting in the effects, etc. But it turns out that this indeed is a book on mainly Mike's variations of Martin Nash's work.

I guess the marketing strategy used was quite misleading. In addition, when i preordered, i believed that Mike did mention that the book would be 400+ pages with 350 photos. But this ebook is not even close. Hopefully, the hardcopy version would be what he promised.

Perhaps a better name could be annotated Nash? since its not a book by Nash. That way, it would not be that misleading to people who are interested in Nash's work.

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2005, 8:45 am

Hi,

I appologise for the confusion. When this book began to take shape, I made no secret of the fact that this was other peoples take on Nash's work. Nash did assist in the direction of the effects, but others did the developing. As far as the size, the original was 400+ pages, but after the layout was tightened, the fluff cut, the edits made, excess photos cut, the book came out to be 208. If this is a problem, then I appologise. You all still got the meat of the material. Any of you who are in or have been in the publishing business know that this is a common occourence. So you all know, Martin himself gave this book his full stamp of approval. He very much likes the book and is proud to stick his name on it. I hope that this confusion for which I am profoundly sorry doesn't deter anyone from the meat of the material and from the wonderful stories and essays that pepper the book.

Thanks Everyone.
Mike

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2005, 9:07 am

Mike

I have read thru some of the articles and i have to admit that u have a way with words and they are interesting. If anything, this stuff alone is worth what i paid for, althou i still feel its a bit high but hack thats just me.

Effect wise, i am not too sure as i have his charming cheat series and it seems to have more material inside.

Hopefully, for your next book with regards to Rocco, you would have addressed the issue of annoucing the number of pages, content, when u have roughly everything ready so that the book would not suddenly be shrinked by 200 over pages.

Hopefully your hardcopy would not end up being spiral bound (due to some more publishing problems) and not autographed by Nash as what had been promised to the people who have preordered the book since May 05.

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2005, 9:24 am

You're absolutely right. I should've confirmed the pages prior to release.This will be taken into account for the release of rocco's book, which WILL be all his own material

Perhaps a lowering of the price would be in order, and a partial refund to those who paid 40

Mike

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2005, 9:42 am

FYI Everyone. I've just dropped the price to $30.00 Hopefully this will sound more reasonable.

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2005, 1:09 pm

What are some of the effects,"never seen before". I am very curious. If someone could give some examples, that would be great. Why would people want to buy a book with variations of effects not from the mind of Nash. I'm sure it's a good read, but I am very disappointed in hearing the author is giving his versions. If Mr.Nash has variations I would be interested. If he does not maybe he feels the method is close to perfect already. The stories are what I look forward to now.
Maybe if the variations were worth while the author should have tried to release them in his own book and not behind the name of Martin Nash

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2005, 3:02 pm

For those who didn't read previous postings, let me try and explain again why it's my work and not Martins. 2 1/2 years ago, Martin and I agreed to do a book together. It contained the essays, stories, and many of the submissions that you see now. The effects were a compilation of Martin's greatest hits. a few months before release, we got sued. one of the leading publishers today (i can't mention names) had a 10 year old contract to do the same book with Martin. He never did it, and as far as I know, never will. But, we got hrown into a deep pile of crap. Now we had this great book that had Martin's best effects, and we couldn't publish it. Rather than throwing the whole thing away, Martin decided that we should go ahead with the book, but make it variations and new effects based on his work. Due to the previous problems that we had had, we searched out the best of the best of effects that were based on Martin's work, but not actually his. He helped in the development of the effects, but most of them were my variations as well as others, along with several new peices. This was all only ten months ago, so I'm happy we managed to get a good book out in that short a time span. Soon, we will hopefully be starting a project whith his own new work, or the classics book that we so much wanted to do. I'm glad that with Rocco, we'll be able to use all of his work. I hope you all still enjoy the book.

Thanks
Mike

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2005, 4:20 pm

Why do you keep mentioning Rocco? Probably most people care about the Nash book now. Are there any new effects in the book like stated on the web site?

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2005, 4:28 pm

About 6 of the effects in the book are completely new, yet like everything else in it, they're based on nash techniques and priciples.

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2005, 4:42 pm

Originally posted by sphaleros:
....Why would people want to buy a book with variations of effects not from the mind of Nash. I'm sure it's a good read, but I am very disappointed in hearing the author is giving his versions. If Mr.Nash has variations I would be interested. If he does not maybe he feels the method is close to perfect already. The stories are what I look forward to now.
Maybe if the variations were worth while the author should have tried to release them in his own book and not behind the name of Martin Nash
This was whats on my mind the whole time!! Thats why i mentioned that maybe "Annontated Nash" or something might be a better name, just like when Darwin Ortiz gave his own ideas on Erdnase's stuff

But since i have already paid for it with the wrong notion in mind that i would be getting Nash's stuff, i guess i would have no choice but to move on. Honestly, i don think putting Mike in a spot would get my money back. At the least, Mike did promise to get Nash to autograph the actual book for those who preordered so its a nice form of a consolation.

What i am worrying now is that Mike mentioned he might be doing a book in the future (When the 10 year period is over, wonder how long more) that would have all of Nash's material. Wonder does that mean i would have to spend another 40-50 bucks on the actual Nash sufff which i thought i was paying now. In addition, would the essays in the new forthcoming book (If ever) have the same essays as the ones now or would Mike be interviewing new Magicians, etc? :confused: But i guess we would only have to wait and see as its way too early to ask questions on this.

Anyway, i do feel that the stories are extremely interesting, about people like Nash's memories of Dai vernon, etc and nd there are really many interesting essays by Famous magicians about Nash and how they feel about him, etc. (Althou I would have liked to see more of Nash's Ideas and so on.) Those who look forward to this book with the stories in mind and not the effects would not be disappointed.

Look on the bright side!! At least the cover looks sweet and the book is hardcovered :)

Oh ya Mike, how do we contact u with regards to getting the partial refund?

Terry

Postby Terry » October 6th, 2005, 6:29 pm

one of the leading publishers today (i can't mention names) had a 10 year old contract to do the same book with Martin.
This wouldn't be the same group that has been promising for 4+ years to re-release a certain trilogy would it?

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2005, 9:52 pm

What trilogy would that be?

Kevin Wiese

Postby Kevin Wiese » October 7th, 2005, 8:56 am

Originally posted by millusions:
For those of you who pre-ordered, you'll be getting your insrtuctions on downloading in your inboxes tonight and tomorow morning.
I have yet to receive it. Have they all been sent?

Postby Guest » October 8th, 2005, 7:15 am

I am stll waiting, too...

Any info?

mwolfire

Postby mwolfire » October 8th, 2005, 7:52 am

If you send a short e-mail to Mike noting that you did not receive your instructions he will respond promptly. At least that was my experience!
Mark

Postby Guest » October 13th, 2005, 11:41 am

I've been reading a lot of these forums lately and I just can't help but toss my two cents in here.

The book is amazing. The material is strong, the stories are wonderful and the writing is is actually fun to read! (which is saying a LOT for a magic book)

Martin was a HUGE part of this project. He spent a lot of his own personal time on this reading over the effects and adding his contributions to them. "Martin want to go get a coffee?"..."Sorry Chris I've got work to do on the book."

The book was written by Mike and yes many of the effects were created by him. BUT, they all use Martins work and if you read the book you will find that most of them were created as they sat side-by-side with cards in hand trying to come up with something new.

Guys this book is great and I guarentee that you won't be disppointed in it's contents.

- Chris.

P.S.

"Four and a little more" alone is worth 100 times the price of this book.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 13th, 2005, 12:17 pm

I wrote a short piece expressly for this book. Just out of curiosity, is there a piece included in it written by me (Dustin Stinett)?

Thanks,
Dustin
(Waiting for the book-book edition.)

Paul Hayward

Postby Paul Hayward » October 16th, 2005, 2:29 am

Hi Dustin,

Yes, your tribute to Martin is included on pages 135-136 of the ebook. I completely agree with Chris Stolz on the quality of this book. It is such an interesting combination of strong card effects, essays on practice and presentation, stories from those card men who have had the pleasure of knowing Martin Nash and a comprehensive section on card sleights including the fantastic Infinity concept. All this information is expressed in a clear, lively and enthusiastic way. I think its great and I've had to print the darned thing out in order to give my computer a rest. Well done Mike.

Regards,

Paul H

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » November 9th, 2005, 1:11 pm

I hate to be a jerk and air out my complaint over this forum but I've sent two emails in the last week to find my product with the date(s) paid and have had one email returned as undeliverable and one unanswered.

Since I am rather short of cash for the last couple of months (IRS and daughter getting married) I am watching every penny.

Can someone please tell me how to get in touch with this guy?

Dave

Return to “General”