Troublewit research en Français

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Edwin Corrie

Re: Troublewit research en Français

Postby Edwin Corrie » July 7th, 2011, 1:02 pm

After all those French sources, I've finally come across one in German:

Die Zauberkunst aller Zeiten und Nationen

The book is "Die Zauberkunst aller Zeiten und Nationen" [Magic of all Ages and Nations] by Carl Ferdinand Leischner (1834). Pages 203 and 204 have what is essentially a translation of the description in Ozanam, omitting one rather confusing part of the original explanation and also a few of the items in the list of figures (including the Pont Neuf). Unfortunately whoever scanned the Google version forgot to include the illustrations, but since the description is virtually the same the illustrations probably are too. On the title page the author admits he has based his work on that of Philadelphia, Bosco, Petorelli, Comte and others. The Troublewit part could well have come more directly from the description in Comtes Manuel complet des sorciers (1831), which again is a reproduction of Ozanams explanation.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 9th, 2011, 10:26 pm

"The Best Tricks of Famous Magicians" by Ruth Everett in The Cosmopolitan Dec 1902 p. 147 features two photographs of Adrian Plate doing Troublewit, and the accompanying text says that he is a hit at children's parties with the act.

Andrew Pinard

Postby Andrew Pinard » July 9th, 2011, 10:40 pm

Once again gentlemen I thank you heartily... It's wonderful having such persistent researchers on the team!

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 9th, 2011, 11:25 pm

Add to the list:

Anonymous. "Trouble-Wit" The Every Body's Album; A Humorous Collection of Tales, Quips, Quirks, Anecdotes, and Facetiae Jan 1, 1837; pg. 220

Anonymous. "Trouble-Wit" Parley's Magazine; Jan 1840; pg. 29

Anonymous. "Trouble-Wit" Peterson's Magazine; Aug 1860; V38N2; pg. 162

These are all short (less than 1 page) articles with a few illustrations.

Andrew Pinard

Postby Andrew Pinard » July 10th, 2011, 9:49 am

(Hastily cataloging references...)

Thanks again Bill!

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 11th, 2011, 2:44 pm

Another:

"Magic Fan" in Cassell's book of Sports and Pastimes. London,Paris & New York: Cassell, Petter, Galpin & Co, [N.D.]. P. 806.

Available at Google Books HERE

"Puzzle Wit" The Boy's Holyday Book, for All Seasons. 2nd edition. London: G. H. Davidson [1845?] p. 168

Available at Google Books HERE

Andrew Pinard

Postby Andrew Pinard » July 11th, 2011, 4:48 pm

Have Cassell's in the bibliography (and actually found a copy), the Holyday Book is a new reference...

Thanks Bill!

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 14th, 2011, 12:33 am

Bill Mullins wrote:"The Best Tricks of Famous Magicians" by Ruth Everett in The Cosmopolitan Dec 1902 p. 147 features two photographs of Adrian Plate doing Troublewit, and the accompanying text says that he is a hit at children's parties with the act.

And this article is reprinted in The Linking Ring V 37 N 10 Dec 1957 p.29

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » October 19th, 2011, 8:53 am

To keep this thread as complete as possible, heres another reference in German from 1839:

"Neuer Wunder-Schauplatz der Knste und interessantesten Erscheinungen im Gebiete der Magie, Alchymie, Chemie, Physik, Geheimnisse und Krfte der Natur, Magnetismus, Sympathie und verwandte Wissenschaften"

by Johann Heinrich Moritz von Poppe

This is Part 6 of a compilation of material from earlier authors such as Philadelphia, Wiegleb, Pinetti and von Eckartshausen, as stated on the title page. Actually there are two different title pages; I think its normally referred to as Neuer Wunder-Schauplatz, though Google Books lists it under the other title, Gesammelte Schriften ber natrliche Magie Volume 2 ("Collected Works on Natural Magic") ( http://tinyurl.com/69ef6o5 ). See pages 85-86 for the text, and pages 345 and 347 for the illustrations.

The article is called Ein Papier so zusammenzulegen, dass man verschiedene Figuren daraus machen kann (How to fold a piece of paper so that it can be made into various figures). The text and the list of figures are a direct translation from one or other of the French sources, all of which ultimately copy from Ozanam. The illustrations are also as in Ozanam. Pont Neuf is rendered simply as Brcke (Bridge).

Andrew Pinard

Postby Andrew Pinard » October 20th, 2011, 7:44 am

Thanks as always Edwin. Sorry we didn't get to meet back in August in London. I'm overdue for a return trip to Switzerland. Maybe 2012?

ajp

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » October 20th, 2011, 8:48 am

That would be great - just let me know when. In the meantime I'll keep my eyes open for any other Troublewit references.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 24th, 2012, 12:24 am

Bill Mullins wrote:THISillustration is from a 1657 book from Germany. The subject is folding napkins for a fancy dinner.

There is a cool museum exhibit in Switzerland on napkin folding. Check out the photo slideshow at the museum's page.

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » November 24th, 2012, 3:41 pm

Saw this in Basel last week and it really is fantastic. There are lots of good photos here if you click on the little video thingy in the middle.

I've more or less finished translating Joan's book, which should hopefully be out in the spring.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 27th, 2012, 1:04 am

Tangentially related to the napkin folding.

Andrew Pinard

Postby Andrew Pinard » November 27th, 2012, 9:46 am

Caricature increases... (couldn't help myself)

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 18th, 2014, 3:36 pm

Origami and Math: Simple to Complex By John Montroll has some foldings that aren't the classical troublewit, but are other manipulable figures. If you go to the Amazon page for the book, and search internally for "troublewit" you can see them.

Google Scholar says that this article has reference to Troublewit. The author may be able to provide a copy.

Andrew Pinard

Postby Andrew Pinard » July 19th, 2014, 5:35 pm

Hi Bill!

John and I exchanged emails a while back (March 2013). He used the term troublewit in a book title, but when asked he said that he thought that accordion-folded paper technique was troublewit. He appeared to be unaware (or could not recall) troublewit as an act and I gave him the 1676 reference to Sports & Pastimes...

I have emailed Ms. Pringle to ask about her "Spatial Pleasures" article...

Thanks as always,

Andrew

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 19th, 2014, 8:43 pm

All I know about Montroll's book is what I can see in the Amazon preview. The figures he calls "troublewit" are intriguing. Have you tried folding them? Do they lend themselves to being manipulated like the classic troublewit?

Andrew Pinard

Postby Andrew Pinard » July 19th, 2014, 10:18 pm

They are more architectural forms for paper sculpting (like origami but... bigger?). I haven't played with them yet, but hope to in the fall...

Thanks as always for your continued help...

Return to “General”