Blue

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Blue

Postby Guest » January 6th, 2002, 8:52 pm

Tonight on one of those cable channels few people watch I saw a show called "Inside The Actor's Studio" and the guest was Robin Williams. Robin was in top form, and for two hours he did the crazed, stream-of-conciousness, off-the-top-of-his-head routines which characterize his unique approach to performance art.

What struck me was how blue he worked. He was so blue I think Lenny Bruce would have been embarrased, yet he got away with it and the mixed male and female audience received him very warmly. I think it takes a special
talent to make that happen.

It got me to thinking about blue patter and magic. I realized that the only blue magic I was aware of was a couple of Amazing Jonathan performances I saw on network TV, which basically featured "adolescent" blue humor in general, fart jokes; the "Hotel Mystery" card trick, which is very tame, and Doc Eason's "Kate and Edith" which is also pretty tame and which belongs to another guy I can't think of at the moment.

Just as an exercise, I tried to think of standard tricks which would be amenable to very blue patter, not that I would do such a thing, but it's late night. Right? So I thought I would post and see what you would come up with.

My votes go to:

Professors Nightmare (size; length)
Gemini Twins (sorry, Bro. John)
Sandwich Effects (use your imagination
and knowledge of court cards)
Sponge Balls (anything with balls)
Cannibal Cards (I can't think of any
thing but you will)
Collectors (I can think of something
but you won't)

You get the idea. Feel free to extrapolate.
Oh, by the way, I forgot, I remember Don Alan had some raunchy patter for cig thru quarter.

Re: Blue

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2002, 12:53 pm

You know I wouldn't feel comfortable going on a messege board and calling sombody a moron can sombody do it for me?

Noah Levine

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » January 9th, 2002, 1:21 pm

Like a lot of things, there's a time and place for this kind of stuff. Usually it's in a bar, where the general humor tossed around by the patrons would make Crimper's suggestions look tame.

On the Stevens Magic comedy video, one of the performers has a few ideas like this...magic coloring book with playboy pictures, Devano deck held in the mouth (sleight of tongue), etc.

I've heard of one bar performer (can anyone remember the name -- old, little guy?) who made a repuation with the bra trick. And some of the bigger close-up magicians have had adult presentations for classic tricks that they never did at the magic conventions.

Jeff

Postby Guest » January 10th, 2002, 7:39 pm

Scotty York's videos had a quite a bit of salacious and flirtatious patter and routines. I've never seen his work live, so those who have may clue you in further.

Randy Campbell

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 10th, 2002, 8:54 pm

Years ago, here in Washington DC, I took a female friend of mine into a bar where Scotty York was doing bar magic. He was drunk, rude, full of inappropriate remarks toward the ladies, and a real [censored]. It was thoroughly embarrasing.
And where is he now?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » January 10th, 2002, 9:26 pm

OK, I'll bite. Noah, you're a moron. Pretty rude too. This is just a discussion and I think, even if I wouldn't do many tricks like this, an interesting discussion.

Andy Hurst

Postby Andy Hurst » January 10th, 2002, 9:43 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
And where is he now?

OK, I give up - WHERE?

Andy Hurst.

Andy Hurst

Postby Andy Hurst » January 10th, 2002, 9:44 pm

Originally posted by crimper:
My votes go to:

Professors Nightmare (size; length)

I think Gumby Turnip, the guy who works with Mark Mason got that gag in on his version of Professors nightmare on their video demo at www.jbtv.co.uk

Andy.

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » January 10th, 2002, 10:00 pm

Anyone see the episode of Penn & Teller's Sin City Spectacular which had Otto & George on it? This was my introduction to a ventriloquist act where the puppet is incredibly foul-mouthed (and funny, too.) They had to bleep about half of what they (he?) said, but then P&T told the camera that they'd post the unedited version on their web site.

Over the next couple of days, there were so many people trying to access the site that it overloaded the internet service provider and the Penn & Teller site was shut down for a day or two.

Postby Guest » January 11th, 2002, 3:59 am

A friend of mine was at a lecture of a close up magician and the magician was performing card warp. He brought up a female assistant (the wife of one of the magicians attending the lecture). Of course he made every sexual innuendo when placing the long card through the short card and about half way through the routine, she left the stage (and I believe picked up her stuff and left the lecture).

Not everyone can deliver blue material and get away with it. Sometimes they come across as letcherous instead of funny. No one is entertained when they feel uncomfortable.

Richard asked where Scotty York is now. Last I heard he had really gotten into playing golf and apparently spends quite a bit of time on the courses. (This information was not from Scotty himself but from someone who knows him).

Postby Guest » January 11th, 2002, 6:28 am

As Mark says, some people can get away with it and others can't. And some spectators will enjoy it, some won't particularly mind, and some will always be offended at it.

It's interesting that the conjuror he cited didn't pick up on the fact that the spectator was offended at his patter. I wonder why not?

And what was his reaction to her departure? And I wonder if he still uses that patter, because he "knows" that it's witty and that any "reasonable" spectator will enoy it?

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » January 11th, 2002, 9:27 am

The key phrase was "picked up her stuff and left the lecture." Although the magician may have had problems of his own, a magic lecture is not the place to use blue material. I've found magic club audiences to be among the most militantly squeaky clean bunches around. Just not the place to use risque comedy club material.

Postby Guest » January 11th, 2002, 12:43 pm

Dear crimper I should say that I am sorry for more or less calling you a moron on this board. I guess I just don't like the idea of blue patter simply because so few people are able to get away with it, but that is my problem. And if you like you can call me a moron right on this thread just so we are even.

Noah Levine

Postby Guest » January 12th, 2002, 1:51 am

As long as we're at it, don't forget Zombie and the temptation to make the foulard grow "down there"... :eek: --Asrah

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » January 12th, 2002, 9:29 am

comedy clubs and bars are acceptable place for blue material. Magic conventions and lectures is not a good place for it. The crowd has to like you first. Robin Williams is a celebrity and is well known to do blue material. He can get away with it because hes great at comedy and people expect it from him. People still view magicians as kids performers or guys trying to pick up women. You must first feel the crowd out and get them to like you to do the material.

Postby Guest » January 12th, 2002, 11:41 am

Blue humor is a very easy thing to do. In Comedy Clubs, we call it "Dick Jokes", and they are easy, generic and COMMON. If you want to be "generic", then by all means go for the easy laughs but be warned that only the original people tend to go any place in show biz. Being original, funny and clean is NOT an easy task and truly does seperate the men from the boys so to speak.

Just look at past comedians like Red Skelton who had a huge following, a long and successful career and never esorted to "potty humor".

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » January 12th, 2002, 12:10 pm

George Carlin, Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, Sam Kinison the list goes on. We kind find comics who were good and dirty and comics who were good yet clean.

Truth is there are no rules as what material to use. Find out what your stage persona is(by performing as much as possible) and write for that. If you pander to the audience, you end up with no voice of your own. Than all magicians end up with the same stupid patter and jokes...wait thats already happened.

Return to “General”