Avant-Cards

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Kent Gunn

Avant-Cards

Postby Kent Gunn » September 17th, 2011, 11:59 am

This is available from the author, for fifty large plus about 14 more for shipping at:

http://tomgagnonmagic.com/books-c-1.html

To be honest, I've met Tom and the book's author. I consider Tom Gagnon to be one of the best card-workers in the world. He fooled me naked with some of the work in this book. We've corresponded a bit of late. I can't claim Tom as a friend. Let me say I am a huge fan of his work though.

For many the pass in it's various incarnations is a favorite topic. Tom does this sleight differently. If you learn this pass you'll have a weapon that will fly by even well-posted magicians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3DQt93U ... r_embedded

There is a tip on putting in breather crimps in the book that will make them invisible.

His handling of "Stabbed in the Pack" is . . . otherworldly. He takes a routine of Harry Lorayne's and the moment when the work must me done and renders the totality of this great trick to a new level.

He has a take on the bottom deal I've only seen in Tom's hands. Looking back . . . I had no freaking idea how he was accomplishing those effects.

It's a couple hundred pages. Tom is also a great illustrator. The quality of the illustrations is superb. He made some choices about how to bring out highlighted cards that make learning from the book much easier.

His author, Wesley James has gotten some bad press, of late. His work on this book is well-thought out and he explains things with in a workman-like fashion. I found Wesley's writing a bit verbose. When he gets down to describing the work, the writing is more than adequate.

The contents . . . If you're not already a fan of Tom's work or a well-versed card man it could be really tough going. You'll be presented with an array of tools few in magic even know exist.

Avant-Cards will be selling for several times what the current asking price in the future. Someone you know will fool the living crap out of you with this material one day.

I'm not qualified to review this book. Tom asked me to, so this is here. The book contains well-written, fabulously illustrated sleights and tricks based on those sleights. This is an important book on card magic. You may not absorb all the material in a week, or even a year. I have to get back to learning his bottom deal. You guys send Tom the dough for the book or I will sell you my second copy in five years for 300 bucks. Your choice.

Kent

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Avant-Cards

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 17th, 2011, 1:28 pm

If Tom sent a copy to the Genii office we'd be happy to review it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » September 17th, 2011, 2:38 pm

Tom had asked me to write his book for him, oh - quite a few years ago. We couldn't come to an agreement. Curious, Kent - in what way does he bring my Stabbed In The Pack to a "new level"? The only thing I can think of is - the "showing" after having tossed the card to center deck. Is that it? Just curious, 'cause that's an area I originally gave much thought to. Anyway...HL.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 17th, 2011, 5:09 pm

I remember seeing Harry demonstrating Stabbed in the Pack at Tannen's when I was a little kid. 12, I think. He would put the deck down on the counter, then walk all the way across the store to the counter at the opposite end, and start the spiel from there. Very funny--he was about two feet away from the deck by the time he actually through the card.

Having had Harry teach it to me, I can say that it's also not nearly as difficult as it looks.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » September 17th, 2011, 5:22 pm

Harry,

It takes some chutzpah to perform your trick. If you don't have supreme confidence at the moment of the reveal one can easily tip to the audience you've done something. When I foolishly perform for magicians, there can be interminable heat on the deck. I've found a relaxed demeanor and flawless execution carries the day though. I've performed "Stabbed in the Pack" since I bought Deck-Sterity about forty years ago. I still do it, as written. No dig was intended on your effect, none. As a young sailor with too many mouths to feed, that trick, performed as a challenge stunt in bars around the world kept me in free drinks.

Tom's handling . . . buy the book. I bet Tom would even autograph a copy for you.

Kent
Last edited by Kent Gunn on September 17th, 2011, 5:23 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Commas darn it.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » September 17th, 2011, 5:43 pm

What I always did when I performed Stabbed In The Pack way back when I was doing table magic - and to this day - I'd do my Lorayne Card Spin, shooting a card up in the air a few feet - showed the card, saying, "And there's your card," as I tabled the deck proper. Denied, of course. The point was/is that that flying card, a few feet, makes a subconscious impression. Then, I step back, as you say, Richie, always, and "toss" the card I just caught via the spin. I've had people come in afterward, with friends, and ask me to "do that trick where you toss a card into the deck from out in the street"!!

I know that no dig was intended, Kent. No big issue, just curious. Perhaps you can give me an idea of Tom's "handling" in a private email; I believe you have my email address. I tend to doubt that I'd change the "handling" that I've used for over fifty years(!!) - just plain old curiousity.

Tom Gagnon

Postby Tom Gagnon » September 17th, 2011, 6:01 pm

Harry,

With my handling the selection secretly resides on top--rather than the bottom as in your classic handling The card is then revealed via my Lateral Bottom Deal. As such, one only needs to cut off all of the cards "above" the tossed card--rather than picking up the entire deck. This eliminates the possibilty of fumbling prior to the move.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » September 17th, 2011, 6:09 pm

Thanks, Tom - gotcha. One problem - my original, to this day, handling, picks up only the top half deck, the half above the tossed card. Always has been that way - never, ever, taught to pick up the entire deck. Another problem, of course, is that I can't do a bottom deal if my life depended on it!

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » September 17th, 2011, 6:12 pm

One thing interests me - the "fumbling" concept. I've never yet, in all the decades I've performed this trick, "fumbled." The card enters the deck, you turn up the half deck that's above the tossed-in card to show the selected card, that's it. No "fumbling." Best - HL.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » September 17th, 2011, 6:24 pm

I'll never understand why, every once in a while, the forum decides to run a response of mine TWICE - my stupidity, I'm sure. Will also never understand why, as just happened, my remark about that phenomenon is deleted! Let's see if this one is delected - or simply doesn't appear. HL.

Tom Gagnon

Postby Tom Gagnon » September 17th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Harry,

In your handling the performer must "briefly" pick up the entire deck so as to permit the left fingertips to contact the bottom card--the selection. For some individuals, picking up a deck of cards from a hard surface (such as your routine ofter demands), can be an issue. When that occurs, and they accidentally leave the selection on the table, it tends to throw off their timing. With my handling the bottom half remains tabled.

Tom Gagnon

Postby Tom Gagnon » September 17th, 2011, 9:36 pm

Harry,

With your handling the performer must briefly lift the entire deck from the working surface so as to allow the fingertips to contact the bottom card (the selection). For some, when working on a hard surface, picking up the deck can be a challenge. If, and when that occurs, and the selection remains on the table--it tends to throw the performer's timing off. With my method, since the selection secretly resides on top of the deck, rather than the bottom, the bottom half remains tabled throughout.

Tom Gagnon

Postby Tom Gagnon » September 17th, 2011, 11:54 pm

Harry,

With your handling the performer must "briefly" lift the entire deck from the table so as to permit the left fingertips to contact the bottom card (the selection). For some individuals, when working on a hard surface, this often becomes a challenge. With my handling, since the selection secretly resides on the top of the deck, rather than the bottom, there isn't a need to lift the bottom of the deck from the table. Should a performer fail to pick up the entire deck (which I have witnessed), then the performer is left with the selection laying on the table, which then throws off the performer's timing.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » September 18th, 2011, 10:36 am

Okay, Tom, interesting. But, I never lift the entire deck from the table; that would be wrong. It's an automatic thing - my left thumb automatically presses down on the face-up just-tossed-in card (have to do that in order to pick up the top half deck) which automatically tilts up the deck's outer long side enough for my left fingers to easily, without thinking, slide in. The inner long side of the deck never leaves the tabletop; it can't - the left thumb is automatically pressing down at that area. It's not something to even think about. Not sure if I mentioned that in my original write-up of the effect, but I think those that do the thing do it, again, automatically. Good luck with your new book. Best - Harry. (PS: If you witnessed someone picking up the entire deck - you witnessed the thing being done incorrectly.)

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”