Genii iPad App Has Been APPROVED!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
AJM

Re: Genii iPad App Has Been APPROVED!

Postby AJM » April 12th, 2011, 4:22 pm

Downloading now....

Steve K

Postby Steve K » April 12th, 2011, 5:35 pm

First impressions are good. Best to download the issue than read it online. However, as Jim mentioned it does seem sluggish but only on loading the AV content. It takes around 20-30 seconds before it will start playing and 50% of the time the app crashed on a blank screen when tryIng to watch video.

I also can't seem to get rid of the toolbar?

This is running on an iPhone 4 32gb.

However it's looking promising although still waiting for my iPad to arrive which should improve the whole experience.

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » April 13th, 2011, 11:28 am

I think that at least part of the latency I was seeing was due to other stuff that was already running and in memory on my iPod. I had at least one app running that was causing a bunch of other general performance issues with my iPod overall (i.e. not limited to iGenii). Since I've shut that down, the iGenii app seems to be better.

However, I'm still unable to login. No error message, nothing. It simply does not respond in any manner when I enter in my login info. So I haven't really been able to play with the app.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 13th, 2011, 2:51 pm

I'd like to hear from some of you who are using the iPhone app. Please tell me if it's working for you with no problems.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Scott M.

Postby Scott M. » April 13th, 2011, 3:53 pm

I just played with it quickly, but it works okay for me on my iPod Touch. App downloaded fine, and then I downloaded one issue, and I'm able to turn pages, size up text, etc. But I doubt how much how I'll use this app -- I think the flipbook approach works better given the expanded real estate of the iPad. Still, it's nice to have.

AJM

Postby AJM » April 13th, 2011, 4:10 pm

I've downloaded the app, although have had limited opportunity to explore in detail.

I've been able to sign in ok - looks like you're only asked to login on launching the app for the first time, as I've never been prompted since. Not sure if this was the intention.

I've only browsed a couple of issues and haven't downloaded any yet. Response time was rather sluggish last night, although didn't seem as bad today.

Still getting used to 'double-tapping' the screen to zoom in before I can 'pinch' to the correct size.

Despite the instructions, I haven't been able to get the options bar to disappear (surely us magi's should be able to make something to disappear!)

I haven't yet had the opportunity to check out any of the audio/video clips as yet, however will keep you posted.

The app looks great however and my appetite is being truly 'whetted' for when I treat myself to an iPad later this month.

Excellent work Richard.

Cheers

Andrew

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 13th, 2011, 4:23 pm

I think you'll find the response time to be much faster on issues you've downloaded, rather than viewing them online.

Steve K

Postby Steve K » April 13th, 2011, 4:48 pm

I've now had chance to play with it properly. It's great to have the issues downloaded and easily accessible. I'm not sure the iPhone is the best way to view magazines on but this is a great app to have as an extra device. The issues I've noticed are:

The AV not loading instantly as I've mentioned before. It also seems to take a couple of taps to load them.

Can't make the toolbar disappear.

It would be good to be able to pinch to zoom rather than tapping first.

The thumbnails view is jerky and not smooth.

The video and audio lists from the menu doesnt tell you what each piece of AV is.

Sorry if this sounds negative, it's not! Just wanted to give some constructive feedback on the app so the developers can improve it. Having said all this getting the service for free on the iPhone as part of the subscription is fantastic. Thanks Genii.

Steve

www.tricktopia.com

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 13th, 2011, 5:17 pm

Thanks for your notes, Steve. I have passed them, as well as all other comments in this thread, to the company who provides the service for us.

rich aviles

Postby rich aviles » April 13th, 2011, 8:28 pm

I was experiencing the same problem as Jim (wouldn't accept my login info). Decided I would try to delete the app and re-download but now it won't let me do that. I'm getting an error that says "The item you tried to buy is no longer available."

Rich
Cat Herder at TRCKY.com.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 13th, 2011, 9:23 pm

Perhaps they are revising the app now so it will function better.

I really do have to ask: why would you want to read Genii on a phone? I know that people do it, or we wouldn't be providing an app, but it still seems so TINY.

Steve K

Postby Steve K » April 14th, 2011, 2:36 am

Actually Richard that's what I feel. A phone is too tiny to read a magazine. Just didn't want to sound harsh as you'd paid for an iPhone app!

Steve

www.tricktopia.com

rich aviles

Postby rich aviles » April 19th, 2011, 10:43 am

Update: I was finally able to re-download the iPhone app but still cannot log in.

Rich
Cat Herder at TRCKY.com.

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » April 19th, 2011, 11:21 am

FWIW, my login issues were resolved at the end of last week. The problem was my own: my subscription had lapsed! Unfortunately, there was no error message or anything given to suggest what the problem might be, so it was only after talking a bit with Richard that I realized what had happened.

Rich: is your subscription current? Are you able to login to iGenii via the web?

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » April 19th, 2011, 1:25 pm

I got my ipad2 on Sunday and today I am able to access iGenii and it looks great. I initially had login problems, but I emailed Richard and he had my problem solved in a couple of days.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 19th, 2011, 1:51 pm

Everyone who has not logged in to Ask Alexander since April 15 must do so first in order to have your information pushed through to our provider so that, a day or so later, you will be able to login via the iPad.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » April 20th, 2011, 11:17 pm

Finally had time to look at the iPad version of the latest issue. In Genii Speaks RK gives us a video of Berglas doing the Berglas effect. Really looking forward to the book!

Steve Bryant

Postby Steve Bryant » May 11th, 2011, 6:06 pm

Good news -- The New Yorker's iPad edition is now free to subscribers. Apparently they are copying Genii.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 11th, 2011, 6:53 pm

It's nice to be a leader rather than a follower. :)

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 12th, 2011, 4:17 am

Steve Bryant wrote:Good news -- The New Yorker's iPad edition is now free to subscribers. Apparently they are copying Genii.

Sports Illustrated just announced last week that they are doing the same. I think it's going to harder to justify charging extra for digital access as more major magazines follow suit.

PS: iGenii works like a champ on my Ipad 2. I think the additional videos are terrific--perhaps the Head Genii might possibly consider adding some videos to the product reviews? Reviews of tricks that are especially visual in effect would likely benefit.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 12th, 2011, 11:55 am

David Oliver suggested adding videos to the product reviews earlier this year. I don't think people realize how small the staff here is: me, my wife Liz who does the design and layout, and Margret. That's it!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 12th, 2011, 12:42 pm

Wow! I really had no idea.

That fact makes the quality product you guys put out month after month even more amazing!

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 12th, 2011, 12:49 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:David Oliver suggested adding videos to the product reviews earlier this year. I don't think people realize how small the staff here is: me, my wife Liz who does the design and layout, and Margret. That's it!

Perhaps you could allow the online "Light from the Lamp" reviewers access to an official Genii youtube channel that they could upload reviews to if they wished.

Steve Bryant

Postby Steve Bryant » May 12th, 2011, 1:06 pm

I think the idea of adding video to product reviews really sucks. I loathe video "explanations" on DVDs because I can't skip around with my eyes as I can when reading print. Video is wonderful for watching live performances, but too many DVD instructors are apparently in love with their own voices and blab on and on and on about unnecessary minutiae until I am literally screaming profanity at the screen, just before hitting the Eject button. Reviews can be done well -- David Regal does a fine job on reel magic, but then David is a naturally funny guy -- but it is so rare that it shouldn't be encouraged. Even David, I would rather be reading.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » May 12th, 2011, 1:34 pm

First, I agree with Steve: I can't watch video explanations. Also on the hate list: those goofy, "edgy" street magic videos with shots of dark corners, quirky editing and Cabinet of Dr. Caligari angles (what worked in German Expressionist film just looks damn stupid in a magic video).

Second, will the app be available for my Timex Sinclair 1000?

Third, will the IPad be followed by the MePad, the YouPad, the ThemPad and the UsPad? I don't want to buy in too soon (as to which, see reference to Timex Sinclair 1000, above).

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » May 12th, 2011, 2:06 pm

It does not look like the Timex Sinclair 1000 supports Flash http://www.vavasour.ca/jeff/ts1000/index.html

Might be out of luck :)
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » May 12th, 2011, 3:17 pm

Damn. I'll just have to upgrade to the Radio Shack TRS-80.

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » May 12th, 2011, 3:35 pm

To Bob Farmer:

You may want to wait for Mr. Maven's latest hand-held computing device, the Max-iPad.

Close

David Oliver

Postby David Oliver » May 12th, 2011, 4:30 pm

Richard: "David Oliver suggested adding videos to the product reviews earlier this year."

Steve B: "I think the idea of adding video to product reviews really sucks."

To clarify what Richard and I discussed about videos being added to the reviews...

We were discussing how to add "extras" to all elements of the online edition of the magazine (as in Max's extra audio contribution, and Richard's "Genii Speaks" video, etc.). As a member of the Genii staff, my idea was not to do a full review as an extra video (who would even WANT to put that much time into creating it, never mind reading it!?), rather, it was to add a performance-only video of the the reviewed item and link it to the appropriate review. That way, the reader gets to see the actual product, watch it in action, etc. Kind of like seeing a demo at a magic shop, instead of just looking at a still photo of a DVD case. Then, while reading the printed review, the reader can make an even more informed purchasing decision. It would never be a full video review of the item, or a replacement to the written word.

One idea was to have the reviewer (me) demonstrate the trick on video. This meant not just experimenting with the prop, and picking it apart for review, but also having to learn it with enough proficiency to do it justice in a video (without exposing the method). That seemed a bit unrealistic for some items. We then discussed posting the advertising demo video (usually less than 1 minute long) to see what the ads look like for each item. Obviously the creators would know their items to (hopefully) be able to demonstrate them well. If we used the video from an ad, and it was too long, we would shorten it to fit into a shorter time frame.

If the producer or creator did not have a pre-made video of their product in action, then perhaps, the reviewer would be able to record a short video demonstrating the props, showing dimensions, or whatever. Again, not a review itself, just a visual addition to the written review.

So, yes, the idea of a video of full reviews would suck. I'm glad that wasn't my idea! ;-)
- DO

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » May 12th, 2011, 4:34 pm

I've got a ZX81 on a shelf over there, and just had fun with the emulator in the link. My daughter is playing Moshie Monsters on a tablet next to me, and I was able to show here what thirty years looks like in the IT world :)

However, I'll just wait for the Android app...

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 12th, 2011, 4:42 pm

David Oliver wrote:Richard: "David Oliver suggested adding videos to the product reviews earlier this year."

Steve B: "I think the idea of adding video to product reviews really sucks."

To clarify what Richard and I discussed about videos being added to the reviews...

We were discussing how to add "extras" to all elements of the online edition of the magazine (as in Max's extra audio contribution, and Richard's "Genii Speaks" video, etc.). As a member of the Genii staff, my idea was not to do a full review as an extra video (who would even WANT to put that much time into creating it, never mind reading it!?), rather, it was to add a performance-only video of the the reviewed item and link it to the appropriate review. That way, the reader gets to see the actual product, watch it in action, etc. Kind of like seeing a demo at a magic shop, instead of just looking at a still photo of a DVD case. Then, while reading the printed review, the reader can make an even more informed purchasing decision. It would never be a full video review of the item, or a replacement to the written word.

One idea was to have the reviewer (me) demonstrate the trick on video. This meant not just experimenting with the prop, and picking it apart for review, but also having to learn it with enough proficiency to do it justice in a video (without exposing the method). That seemed a bit unrealistic for some items. We then discussed posting the advertising demo video (usually less than 1 minute long) to see what the ads look like for each item. Obviously the creators would know their items to (hopefully) be able to demonstrate them well. If we used the video from an ad, and it was too long, we would shorten it to fit into a shorter time frame.

If the producer or creator did not have a pre-made video of their product in action, then perhaps, the reviewer would be able to record a short video demonstrating the props, showing dimensions, or whatever. Again, not a review itself, just a visual addition to the written review.

So, yes, the idea of a video of full reviews would suck. I'm glad that wasn't my idea! ;-)

This was exactly what I had in mind when I mentioned it earlier--sometimes it's hard to visualize a prop in action soley from the written word. (For example: "Wow!") I wouldn't want a full video review either or even the manufacturers vid--just would be nice to have as a selective supplement really. This would be especially valuable to those who don't live close to B & M Magic Shops.

We gotta get more subscribers so RK can add more elves!

Return to “Buzz”