Handcrafted Card Magic Volume 2: Denis Behr

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Kent Gunn

Handcrafted Card Magic Volume 2: Denis Behr

Postby Kent Gunn » April 10th, 2011, 11:53 pm

Handcrafted Card Magic Volume 2 by Denis Behr
Available directly from the author for 36 Euros including shipping to the U.S. here:
http://www.denisbehr.de/handcrafted-card-magic.html

I, like many of you, became aware of Denis superb card magic via the Internet. For all of us that decry how the World Wide Web has killed magic, I think the mere presence of a few, like Denis make up for the sum of the twelve-year-olds doing crummy double-lift explanations. His on-line database alone would solidify his place in our little world of card flingers. His latest book puts another layer on top of his other work.

This book is not for beginners. If youre a beginner it would be a great source if only for the four pages of bibliography. These four pages answer the Magic Caf question, What card magic books should I buy? Youd actually have a hard time finding them all. It would be a lovely journey though.

Contents:
The Green Card this is a version of Sankeys paperclipped. Its the finest version of this Ive ever seen. Denis tips that folding a card into sixths is better. I probably will not work this one up. Im going to start folding my cards into sixths though.

Two Tricks for Allen Kennedy These are a pair of center dealing demos. (If you didnt get the Kennedy reference, his bibliography will raise your knowledge level.)

Home Again and Messy The Directors Shuffle are for the mem-deck crew. If you dont use a memorized deck, shame on you! Denis, Pit Hartling and Chad Long all have tips and tricks in these two sections. If you are working a stack, youll use these subtleties right after you read them.

Stop-it I almost left this out of the review. I dont want it to get around. Its the stop trick except it works every time. Read it yourself dammit. Im not going to help you on this one. Ive already performed it twice. It will fool the living ap-cray out of anyone. Ap-Cray, yeah I said Ap-Cray!

Shuffled ACAAN Cant wait for RKs Berglas tome. Get this book instead. Gombert and Baker not in your list of sources? Well, read this and youll be better informed than your magic pals have any hope of! Theres a palm-to-palm transfer hiding in this write-up. Oooohhhh . . . Denis, you sneaky bastard!

Suit Surprise Jesus, he lists Hofzinzer, Curry, Marlo, Victor, Nash, Mentzer, Minch, Ortiz, Easin, Cummins, Carroll, Lorayne, Gordon Giobbi, Bannon, Ascanio, Hugard & Braue, Harris and Mead, and some damned German books Ill never be able to read. BUT . . . I managed to make it through his lucid instructions anyway. Once I quit seeing how many references I had. Itll take a trick I learned from a Bannon book to a whole new level.

Herbert The trained Rubberband . . . Oh just watch Denis do the first half of the trick. Im not going to tell you how cool the second part youll only learn about if you buy the book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0fVi84s ... r_embedded

What do I think of the book?

Im a huge Denis Behr fan. I think most of you will let this one slip through your fingers. If you are a mem-deck guy, give up and send him the dough. If youre not a stacker, the rubber band trick is easy enough and looks really cool.
The arrival of this book put me a week behind in the on-line finance class Im taking. Its easily the best magic book Ive found in the last year. I think you should buy a copy right freaking now.

KG
Last edited by Kent Gunn on April 10th, 2011, 11:55 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Removed naughty words

Don Hendrix

Re: Handcrafted Card Magic Volume 2: Denis Behr

Postby Don Hendrix » April 11th, 2011, 9:50 am

I tried to order both books on his website, but I am sent to German Paypal. Can you tell me how to order using American Paypal? Thanks.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » April 11th, 2011, 10:06 am

There actually is only one Paypal website. You were looking at the normal pages translated into German. I was also taken aback when I ordered the books.

Just log in with your existing user name and password. The next screen you see will have English on it. Paypal does the Euro to dollar conversion for you as well.

KG

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » April 11th, 2011, 12:46 pm

I tried to change the setting in my paypal account. I think it should be in English now, if you place an order from outside Germany.

Thanks for the great review, Kent!

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » April 11th, 2011, 1:26 pm

Denis,

I just checked, you've got it fixed. No more scary German for the uni-lingual Americans. That'll probably help people send you a few more Euros.

KG

Gerhard Dutschke

Postby Gerhard Dutschke » April 11th, 2011, 2:06 pm

Kent Gunn wrote: Its easily the best magic book Ive found in the last year. I think you should buy a copy right freaking now.

I second that.
At the moment I fool myself over and over again with "Messy - The Director's Shuffle" :)
Gerhard

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » April 12th, 2011, 2:10 am

Gehard,

I just worked out a version of "Messy" without the overhand shuffling sequence. You're right about how good that trick is. The face-up/face-down display is without equal in all of magic.

What a great trick!

KG

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » April 12th, 2011, 9:36 am

Thanks. I just ordered both volumes of the book.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » April 16th, 2011, 12:14 pm

Here's some guy that sounds like a schoolteacher doing one of the tricks from Denis' new book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiWjEBx8 ... dded#at=26

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » April 18th, 2011, 5:38 am

I'm reading it now and it is most enjoyable. Denis is a very clever fellow.

Matt Field

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » April 18th, 2011, 7:38 am

Both volumes are excellent.

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”