August Genii

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Steve Mills

August Genii

Postby Steve Mills » July 21st, 2003, 9:39 pm

Hit Chicago today with one of the most elegant covers EVER on Genii.

Richard called it the "Summer Reading" edition - there's a LOT there.

No summer doldrums for Genii.

Later....
Steve

Brad A._dup1

Re: August Genii

Postby Brad A._dup1 » July 21st, 2003, 9:54 pm

It's so true! I cancelled my visits to the Caribbean, The Netherlands, AND the San Diego Zoo to read my Genii!

If it matters, I just recently put the August cover and Table of Contents online.....for some of you non-Genii'ers.

-Brad
Former Vonnegut Character

James Lee

Postby James Lee » July 23rd, 2003, 8:03 am

The August Genii arrived yesterday. (Nashville) I've skimmed several articles and will begin a careful read later today. Looks great!

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » July 23rd, 2003, 10:30 am

Got it in San Mateo yesterday.

I'm usually much later in the deliveries.

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2003, 11:22 am

I received mine yesterday as well. (and I just signed up for the subscription at the SAM Convention)

www.JeffEzellMAGIC.com

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2003, 5:46 am

Genii showed his face in Richmond, Virginia 23rd. of July. Always great and never late since R.K. took over......Mike

Bob Walder

Postby Bob Walder » July 24th, 2003, 6:34 am

Wow! I'm gobsmacked that mine arrived in France so quickly ;o)

Bob

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2003, 12:36 pm

It seems to me that an awful lot of the August Genii was "lifted" from other sources: chapters from books, material from websites, The Irish Times, a complete reprint of Mulholland's CIA monograph. . . .

The cover feature seems to be only peripherally related to magic.

What's up?

0pus

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » July 24th, 2003, 2:41 pm

TO OPUS:

"Lifted" is a curious word to characterize the latest GENII issue. For example, RK had to secure permission to excerpt parts of a best-selling novel that many readers don't know about and would be glad to get a substantial "glimpse at" before deciding to buy. Does it have tricks in it? No. But it is tangentially related to magic and is mainstream. IMHO, magicians should be apprised and at least aware of such things.

The same applies to the other articles you cite, retro and otherwise.

Almost everything these days is derivative and "linked" and "spin offs" abound. Sometimes magazines are digests, making diverse "bits" cohere...weaving it together discrete bits and pieces for readers who don't have the time or inclination to access everything and don't read everything.

I read six newspapers every day and scan 25 news-junkie websites...and there is indeed a redundancy factor...

I also read almost every magic publication extant, including five not written in English.

And, yes, Opus...I'm defending RK while simultaneously (albeit too briefly) giving you the equivalent of a sound-bite regarding "what gives"...

In the same breath, I'd be interested in knowing what YOU prefer to see and read?

Really.
I'm not dissing, knocking, or chiding.

Onward...

Ben Harris

Postby Ben Harris » July 24th, 2003, 2:56 pm

Variety is the spice of life!

BH
Creator of the famous "Floating Match On Card" illusion.
WOWBOUND.COM - INSTANT DOWNLOADS

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2003, 3:44 pm

To Mr. Racherbaumer:

If my use of the word "lifted" carried a connotation of illicit borrowing, I apologize to Richard. I am sure that Genii had the appropriate permissions to reproduce the works.

I said the lead feature seemed peripherally related to magic; you say it is tangential. I think we agree. And I think a mention of the book is in order, but the interested reader can get a glimpse at it by visiting the authors website and reading the entire first chapter (as well as other material reprinted in the August Genii).

Frankly, I feel that much of this months issue was recycled material, and not in the sense of being derivative. It was reproduced virtually verbatim. And that is what I meant by lifted.

My comment is perhaps also directed to the long list of regular columnists that Genii has announced (and whose works I would love to see) but who appear sporadically at best (the original expectation was monthly appearances, then bi-monthly appearances, and finally serendipitous appearances).

Since you have asked, I prefer to see and read articles like the one on Steve Ciuffo, Danny Orleans Pediatrix column, the Giorgio Letters, and would like to see articles from the named columnists more frequently. I also like the articles Genii has run on magic outside the United States: the UK article, the tour through India, etc. And yes, I would like to see tricks too.

0pus

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 24th, 2003, 4:31 pm

It is impossible to produce a 112 page monthly magazine during a period when one is home for only one of four weeks in the month. Since I have been at the IBM and SAM conventions, and am now at FISM in Holland, I was only home for one week in July. So, in order to be certain that the August issue of Genii was not late, and because magazines traditionally produce heavy text issues in the summer for their readers to devour during their long vacations on August, I chose to include three distinct pieces of literature: 1) Interview and excerpt with best-selling novelist Jeff Deaver, 2) Excerpt from the book Seeing is Believing, 3) The manuscript, which has been classified as top secret by the CIA, which had been written by John Mullholand.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2003, 5:03 pm

I really enjoyed this months issue, especially the C.I.A. article. August's issue may be a little light on tricks and columns but very heavy on history, fiction and psychology. I'm taking this one to the White Mountains to read by the pool !
Peace Out
Amazing Dick

Gene B

Postby Gene B » July 24th, 2003, 6:20 pm

The August issue just arrived in Sunny San Jose yesterday.
Richard, it was great to chat with you at both IBM and SAM--hope my "shill" work at the booth helped with that subscription!!

Gene B :D

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » July 24th, 2003, 7:20 pm

Thanks for the constructive input, Opus, and also for the breezy affirmations from the rest. This is part of the beauty of this Forum (when it stays focused). It's much better than sticking a moistened finger in the wind...and potentially more fun.

Onward...

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » July 25th, 2003, 12:15 pm

Jon, Opus:

I'm afraid I must differ from your mutual assessment that the Jeffery Deaver interview and excerpt are only "tangentially" related to magic. I would suggest both are of very real value and consequence for magicians and those who study the conjuring arts. Set aside the fact that the focal point of The Vanished Man is an illusionist and the means and methods of our craft are fundamental to the plot. Set aside the fact that one of the plot elements comes directly from the pages of Genii. Set aside as well the fact that magic in fiction is a vibrant and popular genre among magicians, magic collectors and historians of magic. And set aside Richard's apparent view that Genii readers deserve a good summer read that touches on our realm (a view which I happen to share). Consider just three points. First, how our audiences view us is based not only on our own persona and performance but also by the larger cultural perceptions of magic and magicians. Every spectator carries in his or her own mind a host of ideas and attitudes about magic and the men and women who perform it. Those ideas and attitudes evolve from a wide array of factors...not the least of which is how we are portrayed in the mainsteam media. Deaver's fiction helps plant those seeds. We need to be cognizant of them and appreciate if, how and why they resonate with his readers. Second, Deaver's writing has shown a marked gift for being able to draw on the world around him to create a fictional universe that appears and feels as real as the one in which we live. He has a keen eye when it comes to capturing the most salient aspects of scene and character. We can all benefit from exploring his view -- from the outside -- as to what magic and magicians look like and how they are portrayed. Third, Deaver uses our own craft to weave his story. It is his study of method and effect, psychological and physical misdirection, ruse and artificate, quick change and disguise that not only bring his plot together but makes this a compelling and successful read. In this sense, Deaver is the magician and the reader his spectator. We can all benefit from understanding how to harness these tools of our trade to create a meaningful and engaging performance. Deaver helps show us by his words and his example.

Michael

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » July 25th, 2003, 12:35 pm

On to Some Operational Applications of the Art of Deception...

I've come to realize that this is an enormously important work. As Richard suggests, it was penned by one of magic's most illustrious thinkers, writer, teachers and practitioners. It provides -- in the simplest of language -- the physical and psychological foundations for the successful performance of close-up magic. Yet it has remained secret for almost fifty years. And yes, it is the final published legacy of one of magicdom's giants. But it is so much more than that. As I have written elsewhere, this was not merely some primer for amateur magicians to learn a few tricks. No matter how gentle and sanitized the language, this was to be a guide for agents in the field to perform dangerous, provocative, and even lethal acts. What Mulholland was teaching CIA operatives to do was surreptiously administer mind-altering chemicals, biological agents, dangerous drugs and lethal poisons in order to disorient, discredit, injure and even kill people...and to do so on behalf of their government. Magic doesn't just exist on close-up pads and lighted stages. Our tools and techniques have been used to influence and alter the most fundamental elements in human history: religion and worship, power and politics, belief and hope. In this context, the Mulholland manuscript raises serious and enduring moral and ethical issues about our craft and its applications. It is something we all need to ponder...

David Mitchell

Postby David Mitchell » July 31st, 2003, 8:17 am

Well, I don't know about everyone else here, but as I was scanning the magazine when I got it yesterday, all I remember thinking was, "Where are the pictures." The information presented to me in "Genii" form, will take a while to digest, and since I am visiting the inlaws this week-end, I know exactly when I am going to start digesting it.

Richard, I may have said it before, but I will say it again. Thank you very much for all the hard work you do for the magic community. In the past years, even though I have never met you, and only talked to you very briefly, I have come to trust your opinions and views as if you were a dear friend. I hope all of your hard work does not go un-rewarded.

(That also goes for all the people who continually contribute their views, thoughts and opinions to Genii. At times, you all feel like friends, and I hope to in the future meet everyone.)

David Mitchell
David Mitchell

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » July 31st, 2003, 10:17 am

I only read Genii for the articles :)

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » July 31st, 2003, 10:25 am

Thank you, Michael Edwards, for your articulate posts and shining the spotlight to the right places.

Questions to everyone:

Who has read Deaver's book?
Do you plan to?
Will the Genii excerpt suffice?

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » July 31st, 2003, 12:14 pm

I ordered a copy of Deaver's book after reading the article in Genii. It's in line after another novel (and that won't get finished until I do a show this weekend.)

Jeff

Scott Sullivan

Postby Scott Sullivan » August 1st, 2003, 7:40 am

Mr. Mitchell brings up a point about this month's issue. He said:

>"Where are the pictures." The information presented to me in "Genii" form, will take a while to digest...

To me, this is what makes Genii my favorite periodical in magic. Of the two "main" periodicals out there, there is an analogy I used with Denny the other day. That "other" magazine (the perfect bound one *smile*) is the magic version of USAToday. Genii on the other hand is more like the Wall Street Journal. Substance over fluff. They both have their place and don't get me wrong. I don't mean "fluff" to be bad... just that I prefer Genii and it's real meat.

Bravo on an excellent issue!

Scott Sullivan

Steve Snediker

Postby Steve Snediker » August 1st, 2003, 10:57 am

It is sad for me to admit that the first thing I did when I got my eagerly awaited August Genii was to scan the issue and scope out the tricks section. There was a momentary glitch in my heart when I realized there were no tricks in this issue. Yikes, has Richard started a cottage industry producing wedding videos or what?

Then, the skies parted, an angelic choir intoned, and I realized, "Wait a moment...I can read! YES, I CAN READ! I can read John Mulholland's stuff and the Deaver excerpt and the Wilson Story and...ad infinitum."

As I came to my senses I realized once again why I chose to subscribe to Genii over some of the other Magic Magazine(s) -- Genii has substance and depth. It is worthy of being read and digested and read again.

Thanks to all who contribute -- Richard, Jon, et al.

Steve Snediker
Wondermakers Workshop

Return to “General”