TAOM 2011 Convention

ADG

TAOM 2011 Convention

Postby ADG » January 19th, 2011, 6:57 pm

Make your plans now to attend the Texas Association of Magicians Convention in beautiful San Antonio, Texas during the Labor Day weekend, 2011. Host hotel will be the spacious Hilton Palacio Del Rio by the Riverwalk with 3 nightly stage shows at the beautiful Lila Cockrell Theatre for the Performing Arts right across the street. Hotel rates are $100/night and magician convention registration($150), spouse($100), youth($85); so bring the whole family for a fun weekend. The TAOM has a memorable 60 plus years of magical history and San Antonio has always hosted the best convention with a Texas friendly tradition. The TAOM Convention will be dedicated to our Special Guest of Honor, JOHN CORNELIUS. So plan to attend the best convention in Texas in 2011. Current acts booked:

JOHN ARCHER
WAYNE HOUCHIN
CURT MILLER
TOM STONE
DAVID KAPLAN
NICK LEWIN
QUENTIN REYNOLDS
AMOS LEVKOVITCH
MARK WORGAN
WAYNE DOBSON
OSCAR MUNOZ
plus more to come.......

Check out more details at: taom2011.com

TAOM 2011 "A Texas Tradition"

ADG

Re: TAOM 2011 Convention

Postby ADG » February 13th, 2011, 1:26 am

TAOM 2011 Convention......newly booked acts:

RICHARD TURNER
JON RACHERBAUMER
SCOTT LAND
plus more to come.....

taom2011.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 13th, 2011, 12:05 pm

Sounds like a great line-up!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

John Archer

Postby John Archer » March 1st, 2011, 8:10 am

Indeed it does, may pop along.

ADG

Postby ADG » March 10th, 2011, 2:15 am

John, don't forget to bring your ukulele....David Kaplan is looking for a nice one.....

ADG

Postby ADG » April 14th, 2011, 1:59 am

TAOM 2011 Convention update....newly booked acts:

ED SOLOMON
DAVID ACER
NATHAN KEPNER
GAETAN BLOOM

....more to come...

taom2011.com

Paul Mims

Postby Paul Mims » April 14th, 2011, 3:06 pm

There will be a Bizarre Show dedicated to Ed Solomon. The show will be on the Saturday night of the TAOM 2011 convention. The show will feature a variety of performers including a piece done by Ed. For more info about the convention, go to TAOM2011.com.

ADG

Postby ADG » May 3rd, 2011, 12:48 pm

TAOM 2011 Convention Update

newly booked acts:

Dirk Losander
Nathan Kranzo
Ivan Pecel
more announcements to come....
taom2011.com

ADG

Postby ADG » July 26th, 2011, 3:58 pm

Just added some favorite "Texas Tradition" performers to our great 2011 TAOM Convention line-up......

BEV BERGERON
DAVID HIRA
SAM SAWYER
MARCUS EDDIE

taom2011.com
A Texas Tradition

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 26th, 2011, 4:44 pm

Too good to miss: I'll be there!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » July 28th, 2011, 8:16 am

When will the schedule be posted?

Will you be offering single day admissions?

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » July 28th, 2011, 8:30 am

Schedule up now. So ignore that one - are you offering single day admissions?

ADG

Postby ADG » July 28th, 2011, 9:50 am

Brad....no single day admission registration offered.....

Alex

ADG

Postby ADG » September 2nd, 2011, 11:12 am

2011 TAOM Convention starts in less than 2 hours.....
Alex

David Acer

Postby David Acer » September 2nd, 2011, 11:58 am

I've been holding a pinky break over four Aces all week for this.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

ADG

Postby ADG » September 5th, 2011, 10:19 pm

Another most memorable TAOM 2011 Convention has just ended. Thanks to everyone who attended and participated. Now onward to Houston for the 2012 TAOM Convention.

Alex

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » September 8th, 2011, 6:36 pm

As a teenager I read the Abbott's publication, "Now You Can Get the Best of Senator Crandall". It's a compliation of Clarke Crandall's columns from the New Tops magazine - and it is still available from Abbott's for the bargain price of $5 and is a terrific read.

Crandall spoke highly of the TAOM conventions and ever since it has been my ambition to attend one.

This is not a review but a mention of a few of the many personal highlights and observations. No doubt I'll overlook some as I've still got jetlag.

The Hilton hotel is located on the Riverwalk, a U shaped section of river which looks more like a canal. On both sides are hotels, shops and restaurants, all with a very European feel. Acoording to the guide on the boat tour, all the rooms of the Hilton hotel were manufactured (including the wiring and plumbing) at another location, transported by truck and lifted into place by crane.

Across from the hotel is the River Center, formerly a department store where Bev Bergeron once pitched magic sets. The week he was there John Cornelius, aged ten, took a week off school and shilled for Bev. Having done his demo, Bev would prompt a prospective customer to ask if their child could do the tricks. Bev would look around, apparently see John and say, "There's a kid, can you try this?" and John would do the cups and balls.

The rest of my sightseeing included a visit to The Alamo and the local ice cream parlor (it's hot in Texas).

It's always a worry that when you read excellent magic books or magazine articles that the author will not live up to the impression you have formed. And I had formed a very high expectation about the work of Tom Stone.

For various reasons I was only able to attend two full lectures and Tom's was one of them. And he was excellent. The highpoint for me was his breakdown of a one coin routine performed standing. It really was more of a workshop and his attention to detail was astonishing. He also explained, better than anyone else I've seen, the Slydini type misdirection used when standing as opposed to sitting.

The other lecture was Nick Lewin's which was a masterclass in stand-up comedy magic using small props and playing to large audiences. Considering that Nick had flown in from Istanbul, had only three hours sleep and was lecturing at 8 in the morning, and appeared to be as bright as a daisy was even more remarkable. Nick is moving from Las Vegas to Los Angeles and is planning more lecturing and performing for magicians. His new DVD 20-2-10s covers his presentation of the $100 bill switch routine for large audiences and is full of the kind of tips that can only come from a working pro.

On the close-up front I was very impressed with David Gabbay's presentation of the Cylinder and Coins which won him the close-up award. And, to his credit, he didn't end up with the smug expression used by most performers of the trick.

In the lobby Dusten Gray did the smoothest, most engaging version of the red/black separation trick I've seen. I don't know what the trick is called but it uses a long sequence of second deals mixed with normal deals. It is very hard to keep the tempo/rhythm/timing while doing the thinking AND talking casually to the audience at the same time. He told me he is a student of Gary Plants and Gary must be very proud of him.

In the dealer's room my first visit was to the GENII booth to renew with a three-year subscription and to collect the bound volume of The Talisman. At the airport I start reading the Erdnase GENII which I continue reading on the plane. I'm in an aisle seat. When I finish the article, about an hour into the flight, I glance across the aisle and notice that a woman on the adjacent aisle seat is reading a booklet with ACAAN on the top of the page. Turns out it is Vicky Hartman who was also at the convention.

Then there's the catching up with old friends, making new ones, and on Labor Day finishing with a long leisurely dinner by the Riverwalk with John Archer, Gaetan Bloom and Christian Schenk.

Thanks to Alex and all the organisers for such a great weekend.

Crandall was right.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » September 8th, 2011, 11:50 pm

I look forward to seeing your trick when it's on the market.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » September 12th, 2011, 6:33 am

Collapsible Asrah Frame. Would the gentleman who spoke to me at TAOM regarding same please contact me. I have news.

Return to “Convention Reports”