Fred Collins has passed away

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Jim Maloney

Fred Collins has passed away

Postby Jim Maloney » January 28th, 2011, 11:08 am

I just received a note from Hal Meyers that Fred Collins as passed away. Here's what Hal sent me:

From Jennifer and Mary Ann Collins

Fred Collins

Piscataway, NJ - Fred Collins, 64, known to many as Budd-E the Magician and Key-Ko the Clown, died on Friday, January 21, 2011 at JFK Medical Center in Edison.
Born in Neptune, to his late parents Frederick "Ted" and Beulah (Moyer) Collins, Freddy was raised in Newark and has lived in Piscataway since 1971.

He was honorably discharged from the United States Army Reserves and was the proud owner of Mecca Magic in Bloomfield. He belonged to the International Brotherhood of Magicians and was currently working for UPS in Bound Brook as a Supervisor.

Freddy was the original founder of Clown Fest, which is held annually in Seaside Heights and Mecca Magic Clown College.

Freddy is predeceased by his brother Jon Collins.

He leaves behind his wife Mary Ann (Mayo) and their daughter Jennifer Collins and his pride and joy, his grandson, William Magrino III. He also leaves behind his two sisters, Dahne Meeker and Bunnie Collins.

A Memorial service will be held on Sunday, January 30, 2011 from 2-4 PM in the McCriskin-Gustafson Home for Funerals, 2425 Plainfield Avenue, South Plainfield, NJ 07080 with a religious service beginning at 3:30 PM.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions sent to the American Cancer Society, 2600 US Highway 1, North Brunswick, NJ 08902 would be appreciated.

----------

From Hal Meyers

Fred Collins, my friend

The funny thing is that I don't think of Fred as a "clown" as so many others do. He was really responsible for keeping Mecca Magic alive, growing it into the biggest magic/make-up/costume/consumer prop shop in the area, as well as being the most influential teacher of the ART of clowning. There is not one Magician/Clown from the last twenty five years from the Bloomfield/Newark and surrounding area who has not been touched by Fred's influence. And, he was the nicest guy on the planet who treated everyone with kindness and respect, always willing to help and guide those big shoed/pancaked souls, always lending an ear with a "spot on" suggestion to assist the magi with their conjuring dreams. His own performances were truly magical too no matter what character he portrayed, no matter the venue. Fred was immaculate in appearance and performance and it showed over and over again with repeated bookings throughout his career. I will always remember his genuine infectious laugh and smile, I can hear it now.

And, he was a very good friend to me and my family all those years.

That's Fred!

Hal

Hal Meyers
(aka Dameon)

Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Myron Lowenstein

Re: Fred Collins has passed away

Postby Myron Lowenstein » January 30th, 2011, 6:05 pm

Back from Broken Wand Ceremony for Fred.
Was a Full House-Standing Room Only Crowd at the Funeral Home.
Many notables in the industry who came from near and far to pay their respects. I have many great memories of Fred, his whole family and of course Mecca Magic which WAS the Mecca of Magic in the Tri-State area for many, many years.

Bob Cassidy

Re: Fred Collins has passed away

Postby Bob Cassidy » February 5th, 2011, 5:59 pm

Wish I could have been there, Myron. We both have a lot of wonderful memories of Mecca Magic and the Collins family. That's pretty much where we both started.

Fred will be missed but always fondly remembered.

RIP

Bob
And remember, my friends, future events such as these will affect you in the future.-Criswell

Return to “Buzz”