October Issue of Genii is in the Mail: Steve Forte is on the Cover

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

October Issue of Genii is in the Mail: Steve Forte is on the Cover

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 15th, 2005, 2:12 pm

The October issue of Genii is in the mail. The long-awaited article on Steve Forte is on the cover.
There is also a free DVD from L&L inside, which has over 2 hours of great magic.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Re: October Issue of Genii is in the Mail: Steve Forte is on the Cover

Postby Guest » September 15th, 2005, 2:39 pm

That's really great news. But, at this point in time, I'd be grateful for any issue of Genii to actually get delivered to me here in the (currently soggy) UK.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 15th, 2005, 3:12 pm

Graham, you should have both the August and September issues by the end of this week. If you don't, please let me know.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 15th, 2005, 10:52 pm

Forte story is awesome! Great scoop.
Stay tooned.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » September 16th, 2005, 12:10 am

I had a wee bet with myself last night that Forte arrives before Angel...

Richard, when you say the end of this week, I take it you mean next Friday?

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » September 16th, 2005, 6:42 am

Still havn't had the August issue..hmmm
Genii is becoming the new cogitations
Its only a matter of time.....Mwa ha ha ha

Carlo Morpurgo

Postby Carlo Morpurgo » September 16th, 2005, 7:06 am

I must be on the fast lane...I seem to get every issue even before it is shipped!
I got the october one yesterday. I am curious,
when are they mailed?

carlo

Postby Guest » September 16th, 2005, 7:36 am

Arrives late at my door, they dont get my money anymore

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 16th, 2005, 7:56 am

Mr. Monkhouse, if you had read the other threads regarding this you would know that the company that ships our issues overseas lost them in their warehouse and only recently shipped them, but all by airmail. Everyone outside the US should have both August and September by the end of next week. If you don't, please let us know.

Our magazine has not been published late a SINGLE TIME since I published our first issue in January of 1999. So please do NOT repeat that stupid old line which Bill Larsen used to put in Genii about it being late--that was his problem, not ours.

Postby Guest » September 17th, 2005, 1:00 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Graham, you should have both the August and September issues by the end of this week. If you don't, please let me know.
Well, there is always another week :)
Here in CPH, nothing last week, nothing this week..
Let's hope the best, the postal service can be VERY sloppy.

Some stuff was send to me from Martin McMillan, International Magic Studio in London, send off the 6th this month, just lightweight DVDs, they neither have arrived yet.. :(

Normally I do get similar packages from the States via Priority mail within max. 7 days, sendoff and arriving day included in this schedule!..
What a sloppy world we are living in !

Postby Guest » September 17th, 2005, 5:02 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Forte story is awesome! Great scoop.
Bad Biro! Stop teasing those of us who are still waiting for it
:D

Postby Guest » September 17th, 2005, 6:56 am

Richard:
Just a quick note to say that I REALLY REALLY enjoyed the DVD that came with the magazine. I understand that it was a L&L thing, but it was a great insert!

I encourage you to consider inserting more DVD and other media into Genii. Wouldn't it be great to insert a DVD of the tricks written up in Genii?! A DVD of even just the performance of the trick would add huge value, in my opinion.

Thanks again, Richard!

Regards,
Todd Ziegler

Postby Guest » September 17th, 2005, 7:51 am

Originally posted by Todd Ziegler:
Richard:
...I encourage you to consider inserting more DVD and other media into Genii. Wouldn't it be great to insert a DVD of the tricks written up in Genii?! A DVD of even just the performance of the trick would add huge value, in my opinion.

Thanks again, Richard!

Regards,
Todd Ziegler
Todd, I'm not sure you are aware of how much work is involved to do a decent DVD containing the stuff you mentioned, stuff from diff. contributors.

It is an almost impossible task, and might get Genii back to the old days re delivery schedule :) !

Mind you, the DVDs, so far included, basically where more or less *ads* from established companies -nothing wrong with this, what I want to point out is that the stuff they contained where captures that already where done and also where extractions from DVDs these companies earlier did release and sell and still do...
A great way to draw attention to ones product, absolutely nothing wrong with that!

However, what you suggested is an entirely diff. thing.
Also the idea is great, I'm afraid it is unrealistic..
Richard though hopefully can and will reveal his own thoughts on this, the reason I mention the above simply is, that one has to keep both feets on the ground, even if the goal and intention sounds great :)

Also, the above from somebody who not yet has received, neither the August, September nor October issue and isn't interested in more *delay* :p :D

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 17th, 2005, 8:20 am

It is not financially feasible for Genii to manufacture its own DVDs and give them away. Only advertisers can afford to do this if they have products to sell--the DVD is merely another mode of advertising.

It costs an advertiser almost $6,000 to insert a DVD into every copy of Genii. That's a huge amount of money, and that's why we give it a big push by mentioning it in Genii Speaks and also showing the DVD on the table of contents.

REMEMBER: when you support the companies who advertise in Genii you also support Genii!

You MUST order some products from the folks who insert the DVDs or CD-ROMs to they know it's worthwhile for them to lay out such a large amount of money.

We enjoy bringing you these free items and will continue to do so in the future.

The only way that Genii could provide video content to you would be through streaming video on the website, which we will do eventually (if I ever find the time to get it all organized).

Postby Guest » September 17th, 2005, 1:10 pm

Say Genii's distribution is 1000 people. That is only $6 more an issue you would need to charge to cover the cost. That is totally worth it, in my opinion.

Who says you need to put out one a month? What about a compilation once a year? Or best of the best? Sell them on their own for $40 a piece in 10 volumes with 10 tricks a piece...works for L&L. :)

I hate to be overly optimistic, but I also hate to hear of an impossibility until someone has tried and succeeded or completely failed.

Don't take any of this personally, please. I love Genii...and am just dreaming a little.

Regards,
Todd Ziegler

Postby Guest » September 17th, 2005, 1:32 pm

...Say Genii's distribution is 1000 people. That is only $6 more an issue you would need to charge to cover the cost. Regards,
Todd Ziegler
Todd, it's not for me to enlighten you :) but your calculation is way off!
What Richard mentioned where the costs of a more or less already present/done/finished DVD ready to get duplicated and distributed via Genii.

The costs of DVDs made especially as you suggested, can never be covered by misserable $ 6000, but would be much much higher..

You have to have the cameracrew, the studio to rent, aso. aso
I'm sure you understand when thinking a bit more about it ...
Wishfull thinking, the idea is great, it's just not realistic :(

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » September 17th, 2005, 2:12 pm

One possible solution is for Geniimagazine.com to host video clips of the tricks in that month's issue. Even that would cost some money in extra bandwidth, but far less than including a DVD with each issue.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » September 18th, 2005, 9:17 am

Doesn't Magic do something like that with Jay's column? Does anyone actually go there?

Take care, Ian

P.S. Bandwidth does not have to be expensive...

Jim Snapp

Postby Jim Snapp » September 19th, 2005, 9:15 am

Hi;
The DVD in my October issue of Genii arrived broken in half! Most probably, it happened when the magazine was folded in half to fit in my mailbox. Anybody else in the same boat??

Jim

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 19th, 2005, 9:23 am

No problem, we will mail you a replacement ASAP.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » September 19th, 2005, 11:17 am

Greta issue, Richard. Genii keeps getting better and better. I love the paper and beautifully printed too. Contuinued good luck with it.

-=tabman

Postby Guest » September 19th, 2005, 5:06 pm

The Genni got to Richmond, Virginia today 9/19

I am greatly impressed with the DVD.I've watched

all the performances.I loved Tommy Wonders set.

I had never seen him do the ring box and I had

passed over Virginia City Shuffel even though

I've had the book since it was published. For

those that don't know that trick is by Lou

Falanga the person we have to thank for the

DVD, the owner of L & L. Thanks Lou and Thanks

Richard.........Mike Walsh

Alexander Crawford

Postby Alexander Crawford » September 20th, 2005, 4:32 am

I am a great fan of Genii and think Richard Kaufman does a great job of editing it. For that I am very grateful. However...

Yesterday the August issue of Genii arrived. On the same day it was announced at the Circle that October issues were available for purchase. The price reduction for back issues was even more galling.

I am aware that there has been problems with the UK distribution, but it seems to me that as subscribers we are paying a pretty heavy price.

In the introduction to The Collected Almanac, Richard wrote:
"Newsletters and magazines, you may not realize, live or die entirely upon the number of copies sold by direct mail to subscribers. The copies sold over the counter at various magic shops account for an infinitesimal percentage of income.
I don't know if that is still the case, but I am currently regretting my decision to subscribe (which was partly driven by having read that paragraph).

I also have neither seen nor heard of the Warlock inducement that was used to get me to extend my subscription. Any news of this?

Postby Guest » September 20th, 2005, 5:32 am

Food for thought!

I've been a subscriber for -I can't even recall exactly- but around 40 years.

Richard Kaufman most certainly can't get blamed for the distribution disaster.

BUT, accordingly to what this site stated, the -at least- August and September issues that wheren't send out by that sh*tty distributor should have arrived in Europe 2 weeks back, this statement was then lately changed to *last week*.

Nothing has arrived here today, the 20th of september either!

I even altered my subscription and payed the difference between surface mail and airmail 2 month back, as I was tiered of getting Genii 2 month after publication, but since so far no issue has arrived.

Well, as mentioned, the publisher is off the hook, nevertheless let me point out, that a newspaper/magazine, whatever of that kind is of no use to to a subscriber, when it is published regularily on schedule and often -in this case- even before, but the subscribers don't receive their copies...
It might as well not get printed!

To whoever this may concern, I would suggest to fire up under the ppl in charge!!! in this case the distributor!!!
To get issues from magic shops earlier then via airmail to the subscribers is outrangious!

The base of a successfull bizz, re magazines, are the regular subscribers, to any other kind of bizz, the regular and loyal permanently present customers !!!

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » September 20th, 2005, 6:13 am

Werner, 40 years? You must have a short memory. Genii was virtually never on time under Bill Larsen, and one year Erika published only three issues. We've become spoiled under Richard Kaufman to expect issues ahead of time, at least here in the U.S.

BTW, I subscribe to national magazines such as The New Yorker, a weekly, and the issue is usually on sale in stores before I receive my subscription copy in the mail. Just the breaks of the distribution.

Take a deep breath. Some great issues are headed your way.

Postby Guest » September 20th, 2005, 7:06 am

Originally posted by Steve Bryant:
Werner, 40 years? You must have a short memory. Genii was virtually never on time under Bill Larsen, and one year Erika published only three issues.
Yes..35 to 40 years, actually I even think a couple of years more!
Short memory?
Certainly not..
I never stated Genii was on time during the time Bill Larsen did publish it, what I statet was that I have been a subscriber of Genii for almost/around 40 years!
Prove me wrong, anybody! :)

On a second thought, I just did read back the Topic here:
ALL AUGUST AND SEPTEMBER ISSUES AIRMAILED TO FOREIGN SUBSCRIBERS TODAY!
Richard Kaufman
Chief Genii
Member # 3 posted 30-08-2005 21:07
Well, the 30th is 20 days back from now..
Normally it doesn't take 20 days via Priority Mail from the States to my place (f.ex.)

Everything I normally get from the States via Priority Mail takes 7 days..the sending off-day included, the receiving day included in those 7 days too!!
And yes, I'm still looking forward to the issues coming up one day, though that days till looks more and more to be *the future*.. :(

Again, that [censored]*y distributor should get suede and kicket a certain spot at his body!
The postal service neither is what it used to be, but here even God may have given up !

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 20th, 2005, 7:49 am

I'll repeat all of this AGAIN.

The August and September issues were lost in the New Jersey warehouse of the company that mails our overseas issues. (The company we use was bought by Pitney Bowes, who also bought several other small companies and the corporate idiots merged all three operations in their warehouse AT ONCE.) They couldn't even tell us if they had ever received the issues from the trucking company that carries them from the printer to their warehouse. We were not aware there was a problem with the August issues until three weeks later when we finally figured out that no one overseas had received the issue. (Oddly, they did manage to send out the August dealer issues, just the issues to be sent to individuals were lost.)

Then, I got the news that they couldn't account for the entire shipment of September issues (both individual and dealer copies).

I threatened to sue them for the money to reprint both issues, about $15,000. That got their attention and the ex-president of the company spent three days looking through the warehouse until he found them. All the copies were mailed out by Priority Air Mail within two days.

Now we all know that mail within our own countries isn't what it used to be. Sometimes it takes a week for a Priority Mail package to get from where I live to Philadelphia--a THREE HOUR drive away.
So, as screwed up as the mail is here, it's far worse internationally.

The fact that everyone's August and September issues are so late has been a NIGHTMARE for us, since we live under the shadow of the previous publishers who couldn't publish a damn issue on time if their lives depended upon it.

Genii has NEVER been late since I published our first issue in 1999. And if you think these sorts of things don't happen at MAGIC as well, you're mistaken. The only difference is that they don't have a board where everyone can talk about what's going on.

Regarding the fact that issues show up in shops before subscribers get them, yes, this happens because bulk shipments are sent by an entirely different method than single issues. There is no way we can control this, though we try by sending out the copies to dealers a few days later to decrease the difference. If you subscribe directly through us, you help support Genii and you pay less. We make virtually no profit on copies sold in magic shops.

The Peter Warlock book is going off the printer in the next week or so. I have been swamped with work on the November issue, a special on Hofzinser, and that has held back my ability to finish proofing it. That is now done and the person who has done the layout is putting in the final touches.

Postby Guest » September 20th, 2005, 8:24 am

Touch Richard, nobody blames you... :)

The only thing to take care of is to fire up under that *distributor* of yours..

The shi*ty postal service can't get controlled by anybody, it's that lousy..

What I'm refering to however is the statement, that the missing issues (accordingly to the *distributor*) are send off to foreign subscribers the 30th of August!

Still by now, (The 20th of September) it/they -at least- haven't arrived here at my place.

No need to repeat your original posting:

*I'll repeat all of this AGAIN.*

Each and everybody with a tiny brain can look it up and read it where it was originally posted..

My point re all this is clear, the only thing one can do is to AGAIN draw the attention of the *distributior* to the fact that *some* ppl in Europe STILL haven't received the copies send off the 30th of August, and the *distributors* answer no doubt will be that the postal service is out of *his* control..

Back to step ZERO then, everything is as it used to be.. :)
Nobody really is responsible, a situation well known to most!

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » September 20th, 2005, 10:52 am

Part of this problem is a lack of understanding of how the system works when mailing magazines. This isn't a simple "put the magazines in a plastic jacket, put the postage on them and drop them in a mailbox" thing. I'm sure Richard could do that. He would have to hire extra staff once a month, devote office space or warehouse space to just this part of the opertation and supervise all of this. The cost of the magazine would go up.

So, instead, he hires a distribution service that knows what they are doing. Unfortunately, this distribution service got bought out by one that didn't know its a*se from a hole in the ground about what it was doing. They were incompetent. They lost the magazines in their warehouse.

He is still at their mercy. And there apparently is no longer another distributor to choose from.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » September 20th, 2005, 11:12 am

Originally posted by Bill Palmer:
Unfortunately, this distribution service got bought out by one that didn't know its a*se from a hole in the ground...And there apparently is no longer another distributor to choose from.
Werner:

Let's assume the distribution company service will improve as the merger of the three companies matures, hopefully sooner than later.

By the way, I do have the solution for you: move to the US. ;)

Just kidding...Denmark is, of course, spectacularly wonderful and beautiful.

Steve H

Postby Guest » September 21st, 2005, 9:17 am

I think you are doing an absolute wonderful job with Genii, Richard.

Well Done!
-Todd Ziegler

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 21st, 2005, 10:03 am

I love Al Cohen's column. MORE MORE.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » September 21st, 2005, 10:10 am

I think you are doing an absolute wonderful job with Genii, Richard.

Well Done!
-Todd Ziegler
AFAIK, nobody ever denied that!

There is absolutely no doubt that Genii not only has improved in contents, *volume* and even being ahead of time re publishing date ever since Richard took over.
There neither is any doubt, how much work and energy there is involved in putting out a monthly magazine.

Genii has never been better!

What's missing, and this is an issue that soley is a nostalgic attidude, and can't - for natural reasons- get fullfilled anymore, is the reports written by ppl like Lou Derman and a lot of others, re the great performers appearing at the castle, IIRC it was *Knights at the Castle*, at that time way back, the reports from performances of great performers like Al Goshman and many, many more who neither are with us today.

The castle neither is what it used to be 40 years or so back when it was run by the Larsen familie!

As mentioned, all this is nostalgia and the connection of Genii to the Castle (whatever that is these days) neither is and can be the same.

Still however, no matter how much work Richard puts into publishing issues, causing him so much work, when they don't arrive (again- not HIS fault) at the subscribers place, the work is wasted!!!

THAT is the issue of all these postings here under this topic and your remark re how wonderfull a job Richard does is entirely out of line in THIS topic here and to me looks entirely out of place as a remark under this topic!

I absolutely though agree re what you stated, but still can't resist to let you know, that your remark reminds me of...oh well, I don't think I have to spell it out!

We are talking here about the problems in DELIVERING the hard work of Richard to his subscribers, as without these suffering ppl getting the result, the work is spilled..

Oh well, today the 21th of september, the issues send off the 31th of August have not yet arrived here..

No problem, but still....

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 21st, 2005, 10:23 am

I just had a call from a subscriber in the UK who received his September issue today, but not the August issue yet.
So, I know they are in the local mail systems!

Postby Guest » September 21st, 2005, 12:28 pm

Dear Werner G. Seitz, I don't know what I did to ruffle your feathers. Whatever it was, I am sorry.
Warmest Regards,
Todd Ziegler (scared of Werner G. Seitz, but loyal Genii fan)

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » September 21st, 2005, 1:03 pm

Werner:

We understand! We get it! You're beating a dead horse!

Your magazine is on the way!

Postby Guest » September 21st, 2005, 1:08 pm

Dear Werner G. Seitz, I don't know what I did to ruffle your feathers. Whatever it was, I am sorry.
Warmest Regards,
Todd Ziegler (scared of Werner G. Seitz, but loyal Genii fan)
Todd, don't worry, I'm just speaking my mind..nothing personal at all!
I even would speak up against the pope, if he said something I don't agree too... ;)

The warmest regards to you to,
Werner

Postby Guest » September 21st, 2005, 1:13 pm

Originally posted by Steve Hook:
Werner:

We understand! We get it! You're beating a dead horse!

Your magazine is on the way!
Yes my friend, it sure is... :p and has been so for a couple of weeks, via airmail, no problem.

It actually helps to beat a dead horse, maybe as an example for other horses..doesn't it ? ;) :D

(Oh and sorry for the spelling errors in my last posting..I well know the difference between *too* and *to*, just in case...) :D

David Mitchell

Postby David Mitchell » September 21st, 2005, 8:08 pm

In all likelyhood, it was purchased by a division of PB called PBMS. I used to work for PBMS in Nortel, and while the initial transition was a little rough, in the long run, services did improve. So there is light at the end of the tunnel.

David.
David Mitchell

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 21st, 2005, 8:12 pm

Must be a long damn tunnel!

Return to “General”